Do I have to re-protect the deposit with lease renewal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I have to re-protect the deposit with lease renewal?

Tenants' 12 month lease is coming to an end and they'd like a further 12 months lease to run consecutively which I am happy to agree to. I carried out an inventory and protected the deposit (DPS) at the start of the tenancy.

1) Do I have to withdraw the deposit and have it re-protected? If so, how is this best achieved?
    2) I am concerned that the inventory which was done at the beginning of the first 12 months won't be accepted by the deposit scheme, especially if I have to re-protect the deposit, for proving the condition of the property at the start of the tenancy as it's dated 12 months before the start of the second tenancy agreement. This is despite the tenants having been in continuous possession since the inventory date. Does that mean I'll have to do a new inventory or is there some clause I should include in the new agreement to address this point?

Are there other legal implications I should consider?

It is my understanding that for any replacement tenancy for the same LL, T and property, then you do not have to do anything with the DPS custodial scheme; it may be different with the insured scheme. Best to ask them, just in case.

I believe that LL has to serve the How to Rent guide for a new tenancy, be it statutory periodic or a new contract.

Regarding inventory, personally I would put in something about
    • There was a previous tenancy under an agreement dated X
    • The LL and T agree that the inventory against which loss, damage, and wear and tear is to be assessed is the inventory dated Y.
    • Wear and tear shall be assessed over the period starting with the date of the first tenancy (Z) and ending when vacant possession is provided to the LL.
    I have just done something similar when a coupe split up, one moved out and the other wanted a new tenancy and agreed that she would be responsible for all loss and damage from the original tenancy date (they jointly agreed that the deposit belonged to the remaining person).

Comment

Whether you need to do anything regarding deposit protection depends on the exact scheme you used. Look up on their website or contact them for more information.

If the landlord, tenant, and property in question remains the same, and at the time of the new tenancy the deposit continued to be validly protected by the same scheme as when you last give the prescribed information, then you don't have to give the prescribed information again.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post

If the landlord, tenant, and property in question remains the same, and at the time of the new tenancy the deposit continued to be validly protected by the same scheme as when you last give the prescribed information, then you don't have to give the prescribed information again.
        That is correct for deposit PI (The Housing (Tenancy Deposits) (Prescribed Information) Order 2007), but I think that the How to Rent document (The Assured Shorthold Tenancy Notices and Prescribed Requirements (England) Regulations 2015) has to be served again (if it has changed)., because it is a new tenany.

Comment

Each deposit scheme has it's own clause as to whether or not you need to re-instate the deposit money, for DPS, you don't need to return the money to the T and then get the money back. With the TDS you do have to give back the money and get the money each time you give issue new tenancy agreement.

May be easier if you have supplied all the relevant documentation to the tenant on the initial tenancy, then let the tenancy go periodic.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
            That is correct for deposit PI (The Housing (Tenancy Deposits) (Prescribed Information) Order 2007), but I think that the How to Rent document (The Assured Shorthold Tenancy Notices and Prescribed Requirements (England) Regulations 2015) has to be served again (if it has changed)., because it is a new tenany.
            Yeah, the OP's question was specifically about deposit, and you had already covered How to Rent as well so I left it.
            I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post

Yeah, the OP's question was specifically about deposit, and you had already covered How to Rent as well so I left it.
              Fair enough.

I was considering "Are there other legal implications I should consider?", and the term "prescribed information" is so imprecise unless one is discussing within a clear context (which you thought was one context and I thought another).

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
                Each deposit scheme has it's own clause as to whether or not you need to re-instate the deposit money, for DPS, you don't need to return the money to the T and then get the money back. With the TDS you do have to give back the money and get the money each time you give issue new tenancy agreement.
                That sounds nuts. Why do they write such bad legislation?
                I use the insurance based scheme.

I noticed gas certificated need to be given on day one. Do they need to check smoke alarm again?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
                  I noticed gas certificated need to be given on day one.
                  Gas certificate needs to be given before tenant occupies and within 28 days of issue of any subsequent certificate.
                  So, if you have been behaving, then no need to provide again for replacement tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
                    With the TDS you do have to give back the money and get the money each time you give issue new tenancy agreement.
                    Please provide a reference for this assertion.

https://custodial.tenancydepositsche...ds-and-agents/ says "no action is needed" for the custodial scheme.

Comment

Why create a new AST with a 6/12 month fixed Term? Let original AST continue as 'rolling monthly', to the benefit of both LL & T, whose circumstances can change sig over 1-2 months.
                      Too many restrictions apply to a new fixed term AST

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                        Why create a new AST with a 6/12 month fixed Term?
                        As I am in it for the long term, I would be happy to grant a new 6-month term to a tenant I feel happy with.
                        I would try to persuade them that a periodic tenancy is easiest all round and that I am a decent guy and would let them stay indefinitely, but if they felt they needed more security then I would charge them for a new fixed term agreement.
                        I would also be amenable to letting them go before the end of the fixed term because I have no agent taking a cut (but of course I would not tell them that).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Help - evicted tenant leaves a nasty surprise behind
                          by jpkeates
                          Try and change suppliers.
                          The outgoing supplier will do everything that they can to prevent this (the automated routes won't work), but they'll have to do it eventually.
                          30-07-2021, 11:12 AM
                        • Help - evicted tenant leaves a nasty surprise behind
                          by nreid
                          My tenant was evicted back in April of this year after a lengthy period.
                          Besides this trauma, the problems continue.

My new agent has emptied the letterbox and found a number of concerning items. One is the matter of a court summons for unpaid council tax. I have since taken over...
                          29-07-2021, 20:21 PM
                        • Reply to solicitors fees
                          by doobrey
                          It sounds like it. But as above ask for a breakdown of fees first and take it from there.

There is a Solicitors Regulation Authority. It has a Code of Conduct....
                          30-07-2021, 11:10 AM
                        • solicitors fees
                          by rob1648
                          Hi all , finally managed to get my tenant evicted after 18 months of hell using high court bailiffs , house now sold so happy days, we tried initially to do the section 21ourselves but made mistakes which citizens advice happily pointed out to our tenant so we decided to use a solicitor to act for us...
                          29-07-2021, 15:19 PM
                        • Reply to Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
                          by jpkeates
                          Assuming that you are a tenant (there's a good checker on the Shelter website - which might be useful to point your landlord at)..

There are a number of ways a tenancy can be brought to an end, but for a landlord to end the tenancy, there are only two options (other than by agreement with...
                          30-07-2021, 11:10 AM
                        • Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
                          by Yasmenaax
                          Hi there,

I moved into a property 2-3 months ago which was subletted to me by a girl named on the main tenancy contract of the property. I handed over a deposit (which is currently unprotected) and have paid rent on time. She today decided to give me notice to leave, giving me only 2 weeks...
                          29-07-2021, 02:19 AM
                          by Piffy
                          We had a very high solicitors charge but my partner noticed in their terms & conditions that they had put that if their charges were going to go over £5000 they would contact us first, which they had not done, so the bill was reduced to £5000 plus Vat at £1000.
                          And I believe that there...
                          30-07-2021, 11:06 AM
                          by Hudson01
                          We all understand that they are not known for their charitable nature...... but 9k !!!! As has been said, ask for a detailed breakdown of exactly how they have spent a weeks worth of time (avrg 48hr week) to deal with this simple (non contested) S21....... Wow
                          30-07-2021, 11:00 AM
                          by Section20z
                          It's not just the hours don't forget, it takes six years training to learn how to inflate fees like that...
                          30-07-2021, 10:45 AM
                        • Reply to Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
                          by Yasmenaax
                          Appreciate the clarification, I did do a lot of digging around after you first mentioned exclusive occupation into the laws regarding this so I definitely understand your point there now. And as far as I can tell from that, my being here should constitute the requirements of a (sub)tenancy.
                          30-07-2021, 10:35 AM
                        Working...
                        X