Do I have to re-protect the deposit with lease renewal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I have to re-protect the deposit with lease renewal?

Tenants' 12 month lease is coming to an end and they'd like a further 12 months lease to run consecutively which I am happy to agree to. I carried out an inventory and protected the deposit (DPS) at the start of the tenancy.

1) Do I have to withdraw the deposit and have it re-protected? If so, how is this best achieved?
    2) I am concerned that the inventory which was done at the beginning of the first 12 months won't be accepted by the deposit scheme, especially if I have to re-protect the deposit, for proving the condition of the property at the start of the tenancy as it's dated 12 months before the start of the second tenancy agreement. This is despite the tenants having been in continuous possession since the inventory date. Does that mean I'll have to do a new inventory or is there some clause I should include in the new agreement to address this point?

Are there other legal implications I should consider?

It is my understanding that for any replacement tenancy for the same LL, T and property, then you do not have to do anything with the DPS custodial scheme; it may be different with the insured scheme. Best to ask them, just in case.

I believe that LL has to serve the How to Rent guide for a new tenancy, be it statutory periodic or a new contract.

Regarding inventory, personally I would put in something about
    • There was a previous tenancy under an agreement dated X
    • The LL and T agree that the inventory against which loss, damage, and wear and tear is to be assessed is the inventory dated Y.
    • Wear and tear shall be assessed over the period starting with the date of the first tenancy (Z) and ending when vacant possession is provided to the LL.
    I have just done something similar when a coupe split up, one moved out and the other wanted a new tenancy and agreed that she would be responsible for all loss and damage from the original tenancy date (they jointly agreed that the deposit belonged to the remaining person).

Comment

Whether you need to do anything regarding deposit protection depends on the exact scheme you used. Look up on their website or contact them for more information.

If the landlord, tenant, and property in question remains the same, and at the time of the new tenancy the deposit continued to be validly protected by the same scheme as when you last give the prescribed information, then you don't have to give the prescribed information again.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post

If the landlord, tenant, and property in question remains the same, and at the time of the new tenancy the deposit continued to be validly protected by the same scheme as when you last give the prescribed information, then you don't have to give the prescribed information again.
        That is correct for deposit PI (The Housing (Tenancy Deposits) (Prescribed Information) Order 2007), but I think that the How to Rent document (The Assured Shorthold Tenancy Notices and Prescribed Requirements (England) Regulations 2015) has to be served again (if it has changed)., because it is a new tenany.

Comment

Each deposit scheme has it's own clause as to whether or not you need to re-instate the deposit money, for DPS, you don't need to return the money to the T and then get the money back. With the TDS you do have to give back the money and get the money each time you give issue new tenancy agreement.

May be easier if you have supplied all the relevant documentation to the tenant on the initial tenancy, then let the tenancy go periodic.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
            That is correct for deposit PI (The Housing (Tenancy Deposits) (Prescribed Information) Order 2007), but I think that the How to Rent document (The Assured Shorthold Tenancy Notices and Prescribed Requirements (England) Regulations 2015) has to be served again (if it has changed)., because it is a new tenany.
            Yeah, the OP's question was specifically about deposit, and you had already covered How to Rent as well so I left it.
            I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post

Yeah, the OP's question was specifically about deposit, and you had already covered How to Rent as well so I left it.
              Fair enough.

I was considering "Are there other legal implications I should consider?", and the term "prescribed information" is so imprecise unless one is discussing within a clear context (which you thought was one context and I thought another).

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
                Each deposit scheme has it's own clause as to whether or not you need to re-instate the deposit money, for DPS, you don't need to return the money to the T and then get the money back. With the TDS you do have to give back the money and get the money each time you give issue new tenancy agreement.
                That sounds nuts. Why do they write such bad legislation?
                I use the insurance based scheme.

I noticed gas certificated need to be given on day one. Do they need to check smoke alarm again?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
                  I noticed gas certificated need to be given on day one.
                  Gas certificate needs to be given before tenant occupies and within 28 days of issue of any subsequent certificate.
                  So, if you have been behaving, then no need to provide again for replacement tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
                    With the TDS you do have to give back the money and get the money each time you give issue new tenancy agreement.
                    Please provide a reference for this assertion.

https://custodial.tenancydepositsche...ds-and-agents/ says "no action is needed" for the custodial scheme.

Comment

Why create a new AST with a 6/12 month fixed Term? Let original AST continue as 'rolling monthly', to the benefit of both LL & T, whose circumstances can change sig over 1-2 months.
                      Too many restrictions apply to a new fixed term AST

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                        Why create a new AST with a 6/12 month fixed Term?
                        As I am in it for the long term, I would be happy to grant a new 6-month term to a tenant I feel happy with.
                        I would try to persuade them that a periodic tenancy is easiest all round and that I am a decent guy and would let them stay indefinitely, but if they felt they needed more security then I would charge them for a new fixed term agreement.
                        I would also be amenable to letting them go before the end of the fixed term because I have no agent taking a cut (but of course I would not tell them that).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to No Fault Eviction
                          by AndrewDod
                          Next time my tenants give notice I'll try to kick them out three weeks early instead. Makes sense.
                          Someone pays for all these jokers....
                          24-07-2021, 13:59 PM
                        • No Fault Eviction
                          by Gdunwell
                          Hi All, I have been living in the same house for 7 years and have just been served a form 6A giving 4 months notice to vacate. The owner is returning from overseas and wants to live in the house. Whilst disappointed I get that this is one of the perils of renting but it has raised a few questions. ...
                          24-07-2021, 07:54 AM
                        • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
                          by Neelix
                          Do you not have a managing agent?
                          24-07-2021, 13:56 PM
                        • Very difficult tenant issues
                          by Helvie
                          I'm going to keep this short as its a long story. I have a tenant who signed the new tenancy contract on 15th June and then on 27th June I received about 20-25 messages and pictures the evening saying the flat was unliveable due to pests and that he had only moved in the night before. I went round to...
                          24-07-2021, 12:46 PM
                        • Reply to Stock Market - Yes or No ?
                          by landlord-man
                          Yes, they have a demo account where you can play with £75,000 ($100,000)

I did put $10k into one copy on April 4th and its now on a profit of $4,915, so nearly 50% in just under 4 months.

I guess as Im only playing, I should "invest" all the funds and see how they...
                          24-07-2021, 13:28 PM
                        • Stock Market - Yes or No ?
                          by landlord-man
                          I will post here but it may get moved - but at least it gets a bit of exposure to begin with lol

I've used a platform called etoro for 2 or 3 years to hold shares in some cruise stocks (don't laugh) - mainly because we do 4 or 5 cruises a year and the shareholder benefits can be quite handy....
                          24-07-2021, 09:50 AM
                        • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
                          by landlord-man
                          Has he paid the rent on June 15th and then again on July 15th?

Sounds obvious but have you double checked you have done all the correct paperwork and deposit registration/certificate - triple check it !!

Personally, going forward I would not liaise with the tenant in any way...
                          24-07-2021, 13:19 PM
                        • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                          by Hudson01
                          Even if you were my opinion would stay the same, i think that given it is a converted house the noise isolation and other issues are not the same as separate purpose built flats, so having one as a rental will have far more of an impact upon the other owners who live there. It really is a one way street...
                          24-07-2021, 13:12 PM
                        • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                          by witsend55
                          Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
                          24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
                        • Reply to No Fault Eviction
                          by jpucng62
                          This is not my understanding - perhaps others can clarify. I thought you had to give your usual notice if you were leaving before the end of the LLs notice period....
                          24-07-2021, 13:09 PM
                        Working...
                        X