MCOL - how soon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can make as many claims as you like.
    What happens is that you run the risk of annoying the judge.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

but even an annoyed judge can only make lawful and valid decisions. and who is to say that the judge of subsequent claims will be the same judge?

i'm sure an explanation of the situation may help, but irrespective of that, the judge can only assess the facts and make an award that is within legal parameters surely?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
        but even an annoyed judge can only make lawful and valid decisions. and who is to say that the judge of subsequent claims will be the same judge?
        It's not just that a judge would think multiple cases are a waste of the court's time, although they are.
        The claimant should make the judge aware that there is an other claim, because there's a danger that the second claim could, essentially, retry the first or the first impact the second. That shouldn't be allowed to happen. The same case shouldn't be heard more than once.

If the claim isn't certain, i.e. the amount of money being claimed isn't a specific amount, it probably shouldn't be made using the small claims process (you can't do it at all inline for example. About 10% of money claim cases aren't for a specific amount of money.

There's obviously a matter of degree, two claims isn't the same as 12 and judges can combine cases.

the judge can only assess the facts and make an award that is within legal parameters surely?
        The judge has a lot of lattitude in a small claims case, and they're not easy to appeal (I've never encountered it happening to be honest).
        And, my experience is that judges are not exactly consistent or predictable.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X