MCOL - how soon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can make as many claims as you like.
    What happens is that you run the risk of annoying the judge.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

but even an annoyed judge can only make lawful and valid decisions. and who is to say that the judge of subsequent claims will be the same judge?

i'm sure an explanation of the situation may help, but irrespective of that, the judge can only assess the facts and make an award that is within legal parameters surely?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
        but even an annoyed judge can only make lawful and valid decisions. and who is to say that the judge of subsequent claims will be the same judge?
        It's not just that a judge would think multiple cases are a waste of the court's time, although they are.
        The claimant should make the judge aware that there is an other claim, because there's a danger that the second claim could, essentially, retry the first or the first impact the second. That shouldn't be allowed to happen. The same case shouldn't be heard more than once.

If the claim isn't certain, i.e. the amount of money being claimed isn't a specific amount, it probably shouldn't be made using the small claims process (you can't do it at all inline for example. About 10% of money claim cases aren't for a specific amount of money.

There's obviously a matter of degree, two claims isn't the same as 12 and judges can combine cases.

the judge can only assess the facts and make an award that is within legal parameters surely?
        The judge has a lot of lattitude in a small claims case, and they're not easy to appeal (I've never encountered it happening to be honest).
        And, my experience is that judges are not exactly consistent or predictable.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Shower Repairs Taking Forever
          tjsmiffy
          Hey all,

We started renting a property 3 months ago and noticed at the beginning of September that when the shower is on water leaks down in to the lounge. We reported this to the landlord on September 2nd and he sent over a plumber the following week who said that they would have to strip...
          18-10-2018, 15:52 PM
        • Reply to Shower Repairs Taking Forever
          JK0
          Just try to cooperate as much as you can. No landlord wants to have to work round tenants. Going 'legal' on them is going to annoy them even more....
          19-10-2018, 19:38 PM
        • Reply to Shower Repairs Taking Forever
          ash72
          If you feel you are not getting a quick enough response to the issue, you can report it to the council, they will investigate and either inform the landlord to undertake the works within a set time frame or that there is no issue.

I don't want to sound harsh, but if you have another means...
          19-10-2018, 19:33 PM
        • Adding a named occupier
          Calym666
          So my mother rents a property from us, she has done for the last 4 years with no issues at all and is named as the sole tenant on the tenancy agreement, its all above board and legal in terms of agreements etc.

She has recently moved in her mentally disabled sister (aged 60 but with a mental...
          19-10-2018, 10:59 AM
        • Reply to Adding a named occupier
          ash72
          Is your mother the legal guardian for your aunt, who can look after her and her finances? If so, then you don't need your aunts signature, your mothers would be valid.

Just on another point, would your property need to be adapted for the special needs of your aunt? You/ she may getting...
          19-10-2018, 19:22 PM
        • Landlord taking me to court for spurious damage, deposit not protected
          Andy_Wirral
          Hello. New here, and need some advice.
          I have recently moved out of a two bedroom flat I’ve lived in for the past 3+ years on the Wirral. Was a private rental direct from the landlord who’s a local property developer.
          I always got on with them (father and son). Son was the landlord,...
          19-10-2018, 14:23 PM
        • Reply to Landlord taking me to court for spurious damage, deposit not protected
          Andy_Wirral
          I went to hand back the property and get my deposit back and the landlord and his father kicked off claiming all sorts of damage had been done which is far from
          the truth. They sent me a letter demanding payment for the repairs so I knew the deposit had to be protected so went down the route of...
          19-10-2018, 19:18 PM
        • Reply to Landlord taking me to court for spurious damage, deposit not protected
          boletus
          So just to be clear;

You started this by bringing a claim for not protecting the deposit.

Only then, did the landlord start a claim for damages.

Is that the correct sequence of events?
          19-10-2018, 18:57 PM
        • Tenant's boyfriend
          tatemono
          So, for the last year and a half we've had a young woman as a model tenant. She's improved the house no end and keeps it immaculate and only rarely raises very minimal and perfectly acceptable maintenance requests. Very pleasant lady all round.

The other day, our agent told us that she'd...
          29-09-2018, 08:08 AM
        • Reply to Tenant's boyfriend
          jpkeates
          Permitted occupier is a pretty meaningless term that doesn't help anyone, just sounds reassuring because it gives something an official sounding title.
          But it gives nobody any protection and helps nobody.

Why not let them stay at the property as an "Unexpected Item in the Bedding...
          19-10-2018, 18:17 PM
        Working...
        X