Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bed Bugs

I have a tenant that's been with me for 5+ years
    He has reported bed bugs and mice issues in his flat.
    What does the statutory tenant/ landlord law state about who's responsibility and cost this should fall on?
    Thank you.

Bed bugs.
    They're the tenant's responsibility after 5 years.

Mice.
    You are responsible for making sure the property is secure against mice (usually filling in any small holes with wire wool - or fixing gaps).
    The tenant is responsible for getting rid of mice that have been attracted by their food.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think this is more a case of where the blame lies, than any statutory requirement.

Comment

Bed bugs - tenant has been there long enough that they must have brought them in so they pay. Mice more difficult as they will enter properties for shelter or from adjoining property, it doesnt necessarily mean the tenant has caused the problem. How often have you inspected the place?

Mice will get through a 1/4 inch gap and they are often where pipes enter a property or broken air bricks..

Comment

getting rid of bed bugs is notoriously difficult. Was the place furnished / carpeted when you rented it? If so, you could be looking at binning the lot, particularly if the T does nothing about it now the infestation has been communicated.

Comment

My tenant brought in bed bugs £270 for first call out and £70 for follow up treatment. Did the trick. You can get bed bugs just by brushing against somebody else, say on a bus or in a queue, who has them on their clothes. For the mice you can get humane mouse traps which are easy and efficient. All food must be securely enclosed in plastic tubs - breakfast cereals, rice etc, and all crumbs, spillages etc cleaned up immediately. Mice can be quite noisy. They also wee and poo everywhere

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X