rental requirements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rental requirements

Haven't rented out in a couple years. May be doing it again for the next year. Think there are lots of new rules and regulations. Just checking:

I will do a new boiler service and get a safety certificate.
    Do I need to install carbon monoxide detectors in every room? Or just where the gas outlets are - boilers and gas fires?

Electrics were tested 2 years ago. But do I need to have all the appliances tested too? Haven't done this before. Ovens, d/w & T/dryer are only 2y old and good brands (Miele). Would toaster and kettle and hair dryers etc need to be safety tested?

If I leave furnished/ part-furnished - do I need fire-safety tags on every sofa/chair etc? A couple of items are antique sofas...

I will alter insurance to landlords. Is there anything else that needs to be declared? considered?

I have an epc - but it expires in a few months. Will I need to renew it during the tenancy? Or is it ok because it is valid before the tenancy contract is/ will be signed? If there is a chance I have to get a new epc and the energy certificate drops below E what would I need to do? Are upgrades simple and quick to effect? The property is to be sold after 1 year so I do not want to go to huge expense on making upgrades because the in-coming buyer will, for sure, renovate. But obviously, I need to stay within the law; legal requirements now.

Anything else I 'm not thinking of?

See the link below, it is a guide for new landlords. Check if you've covered everything.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...29&postcount=7

Comment

Originally posted by HP mum View Post
      Do I need to install carbon monoxide detectors in every room? Or just where the gas outlets are - boilers and gas fires?
      by law: only in rooms with solid fuel device;
      good practice: each room with a fuel-burning device.

Don't forget smoke alarms; interlinked are best.

do I need to have all the appliances tested too? Haven't done this before. Ovens, d/w & T/dryer are only 2y old and good brands (Miele). Would toaster and kettle and hair dryers etc need to be safety tested?
      All appliances must be safe. The easy way is to get someone in to PAT them

If I leave furnished/ part-furnished - do I need fire-safety tags on every sofa/chair etc?
      I believe the answer is "yes". All items must comply, and the only way to show compliance is to have those labels.

A couple of items are antique sofas...
      Don't put anything in that you are not prepared to lose.

I will alter insurance to landlords. Is there anything else that needs to be declared? considered?

I have an epc - but it expires in a few months. Will I need to renew it during the tenancy?
      It only needs to be valid when marketing the property and on first day of letting.

If there is a chance I have to get a new epc and the energy certificate drops below E what would I need to do? Are upgrades simple and quick to effect?
      Your current EPC should contain recommendations; have a look at what they would take (but the methods have changed, so a new assessment may differ).

Anything else I 'm not thinking of?
      Gas safety certificate, How to Rent and EPC to tenant before handing over keys (get signed receipt).
      Protect deposit and issue prescribed information within 30 days of taking deposit; have proof of serving PI.

You probably want to ensure that property does not become a HMO, as that puts further obligations on you: let to a family or max 2 people, not a group of 3 or more that are not all related.

Ensure that the property is safe, e.g. no loose banisters; no trip hazards.

Comment

if there is a mortgage do you have permission to rent out?

Quickest and cheapest way to upgrade epc is to have energy saving bulbs if those are not already fitted.

Comment

HMO classification changes next month, so 2 unrelated occupants can constitute an HMO requiring a Licence. Not sure how 'Rent a Room' Scheme will be affected.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
            HMO classification changes next month, so 2 unrelated occupants can constitute an HMO requiring a Licence.
            I believe not.
            It is requirement for mandatory licencing that is changing, not definition of HMO.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• AST and periodic tenancy
              skay2
              Hi all,

This is my first post and my first BTL experience.

I bought a new built flat from a developer in England last year. The Lease Agreement stipulated that I need the freeholderā€™s consent to let it. The request was granted without any mention of extra fees. I found a...
              22-10-2018, 21:51 PM
            • Reply to AST and periodic tenancy
              KTC
              2. The terms specifically allows for AST, which is the default type of tenancy on private letting in England. If you're letting out to a human tenant in England, it's almost certainly going to be on an AST (unless you explicitly grant more security under a non-shorthold assured tenancy). I understand...
              22-10-2018, 22:43 PM
              skay2
              Thanks MdeB for the quick reply.

(1) I would raise it to the new freeholder with regard to tenancy registration fee. Just curious, is it a common practice for freeholder to squeeze more money out from BTL landlords?

(2) So a periodic tenancy is still an AST... I forgot to ask...
              22-10-2018, 22:21 PM
              MdeB
              1. I would say "no", but I am not an expert.
              2. it becomes a new AST. It appears to be no breach.
              3. The council can chase you for unpaid CT; you then need to chase T. Agreement should say you can do this.
              Note that the terms of the original agreement carry over to...
              22-10-2018, 22:01 PM
            • Tenants possessions once they have been evicted
              ash72
              Two questions, on when a tenant has left the property but left their things.

1. What happens if some of the items are food, which will perish within a few days/week can you throw these away? Or do you have follow the letter of the law and keep them for up to 3 months if they owe you rent...
              22-10-2018, 20:55 PM
            • Reply to Tenants possessions once they have been evicted
              MdeB
              In my experience, food left in the property becomes inedible within a day
              22-10-2018, 21:55 PM
              ash72
              The rent to guide is correct, but the guide is referring to when a tenant does not owe monies, but this question is for when there is monies owed by the T, when the LL is owed monies (rent arrears) they HAVE to keep the items for 3 months, and try and find the T and if successful then serve the notice...
              22-10-2018, 21:32 PM
            • Blockage responsibility
              hsa1
              Hi all

if there is a sink or toilet blockage caused by the tenants. Who is responsible for payment to resolve this

many thanks
              22-10-2018, 16:26 PM
            • Reply to Blockage responsibility
              Lawcruncher
              Lord Denning no less answered that very question: The tenant must take proper care of the place. He must, if he is going away for the winter, turn off the water and empty the boiler. He must clean the chimneys, where necessary, and also the windows. He must mend the electric light when it fuses. He...
              22-10-2018, 21:22 PM
              JK0
              The goverment 'how to rent' booklet gives a figure of two weeks, which I think is reasonable.
              22-10-2018, 21:21 PM
            Working...
            X