Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annual PAT testing - legal requirement?

Hi all,

The estate agency I am dealing with told me the following: We require all properties to undergo a check on wiring and major appliances every five years plus annual PAT testing on small appliances plugs and sockets.

Is the above a legal requirement?
    Many thanks

You are required to ensure that the electrics are safe. There's no specifics as to how, but recognised inspections by a qualified person is an obvious way to meet that duty. For an HMO, whether it is licensable or not, five-yearly fixed electrical installation inspection and testing is a legal requirement.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kesm View Post
      Is the above a legal requirement?
      No, but if agent is managing the property, then it is their way of showing they have taken reasonable steps to ensure electrical safety.

Comment

by "it" I think MdeB means by telling you that they recommend it not actually ensuring it is done. Ultimately, whether you do the checks or not is up to you.

Comment

If the agency requirement is part of the terms and conditions that the landlord signed up to, it's a contractual obligation.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

true... the OP hasn't given us any indication of that, which would surprise me if it's the case as agency terms that I've seen haven't included anything that strict.

kesm are these requirements in the contract with agency or just something you've been told verbally?

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

No, but if agent is managing the property, then it is their way of showing they have taken reasonable steps to ensure electrical safety.
              It sounds more like it may be their attempt to gouge an anual fee from the LL, for PAT testing that is not a legal requirement.

But as said we don't know the terms yet.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X