• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kesm
    started a topic Tenants keep blocking toilets and drains

Tenants keep blocking toilets and drains

Hi all.
    My tenants keep blocking the toilets and drains. We hired a company that cleaned the drains.

When it happened again the estate agency suggested that we put a clause in the tenancy agreement that if they block the system again they will have to deal with it.
    They blocked one of the toilets, we hired a company who unblocked it and they found out that the tenants have flushed tampons, sanitary towels and wet wipes which is what caused the blocking and stated in the tenancy agreement that they should not be flushing it down the toilet.

We bought them drain hole covers for the showers and kitchen but during the last inspection it was found that they removed them and there was a ton of food visible at the kitchen drains and hair down the showers.

Now they contacted us again saying that they have to use drain cleaners every week and that the bathrooms smell of sewage in the morning.

Is the responsibility for fixing this ours or theirs?

Thank you

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Waste disposal units are part of the problem and are illegal for businesses to use, in Scotland, and were scheduled for a similar ban in England, this year, although I can't find the legislation.

https://www.water.org.uk/policy/envi...use/macerators

Leave a comment:

• buzzard1994
    replied
    Tell them they are paying next time it blocks and give them the name of a good service to unblock it. As they pay you well give them a small bin and a packet of bin liners for the bathroom and tell them that will save them a lot of money.

You could consider a waste disposal unit for the kitchen sink - maybe offer to go half with them on it - but I wouldnt.

Leave a comment:

• Singhno1
    replied
    "drain cleaners every week" what are they putting in the drain should be of your concern no drain blocks within a week. I thought my ex tenant was excessive to call me every few months and finally I made a BG contract and they sorted her out saying there is too much grease going in and maybe tampons in the toilet which block the common drains.

now she is gone.

You will have to sort out the tenant as T is taking you for a ride and getting you to clear their mess.
    How long have they have been there, has the rent increased since or not.

Not saying it will be the same for you....

give T the S21 (Make sure you have complied with the prescribed info before issuing S21)
    then find another T to get possibly higher rent. Specially if the current T has been there for a long time the time span could demand higher rent.

Once my last T left I deco'd the place up and am soon to accept higher rent which will be paying for the past damage caused by the past T.

Even if you get lower rent the cost of calling plumber (@£70/call=£3650/yr) callout will be well worth it. Or give it to charity if you feel so generous her is my acc num and I wont even call you ever.

Leave a comment:

• tatemono
    replied
    Originally posted by kesm View Post
    Thanks! They pay a really good rent which is why I am concerned in what to do.
    there's your problem. They think they can justify the hassle they cause you because they pay you well.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    Originally posted by kesm View Post
    So you have to balance your income from T with your associated expenditure.

Leave a comment:

• kesm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Interlaken
    replied
    Section 21 notice and get rid of tenants. You can't keep dealing with ASB like this.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Then they pay you for your first plumber before you send him again.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Price in a rent increase for a plumbers monthly drain clean, plus a generous amount for your trouble.

Leave a comment:

• kesm
    replied
    It is not an HMO and it is a house. THank you

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Drain cleaners won't shift wet wipes or sanitary towels.
    They'll very occasionally shift some grease and hair.

I'd explain to the tenant that they'll need to arrange to have the drains cleaned.
    They have an obligation to maintain things in a tenant like manner (and this is beyond the implicit fair wear and tear in a tenancy agreement).

If they're not happy with this, I'd offer to end the tenancy early so they can move somewhere else (and point out that the drains will need to be clear when they move out anyway).

Leave a comment:

• tatemono
    replied
    and if not an HMO is it a flat or a house?

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Is this an HMO or normal rental?

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Destroying property begins
    Ash-uk
    Further to my earlier post

the tennants have knocked a wall that supports the exterior roof for a bay fronted roof

in th garden I can see they have ripped the toilet out and and windows

possessing hearing is 1st is may

they are gona destroy the house...
    19-04-2019, 22:08 PM
  • Reply to Destroying property begins
    Hudson01
    I am not experienced enough to offer the advice i know you need, but is suspect (as you have seen) that the police will be of no use in this instance, they will still see it as a civil dispute right up and until the whole interior is destroyed. I am so sorry this is happening to you and i trust a member...
    20-04-2019, 07:09 AM
  • Slightly painful tenant
    Awesomestow
    Wondered if anyone has thoughts on use of s21 (while we still can!) when a tenant has been great at paying rent but is just very demanding - significantly more work than the other four properties combined. The main issue is mould on the walls - it’s an old building recently refitted to modern insulation...
    19-04-2019, 10:02 AM
  • Reply to Slightly painful tenant
    buzzard1994
    Tell the tenant the property is not suitable for their lifestyle and invite them to leave, s21 if they dont.
    19-04-2019, 21:45 PM
    Awesomestow
    Thanks all. I suspect leaving the whisper quiet extractor fan on will fix the problem. Hard to tell because he hasn't left it on. And if he turns that off he'll turn off a PIV system too.

MdeB - yes Jpkeates is right. Warmer air can hold more moisture so there's more water to condense...
    19-04-2019, 17:53 PM
    jpkeates
    The moisture that's in the air has to go somewhere, if the updated insulation has closed off where it used to escape, it'll hang around until it finds a cooler surface to condense on.

If a damp expert declined to do anything about it, that suggests that whatever they could do, they knew...
    19-04-2019, 17:26 PM
  • Landlord trying to keep deposit
    cherrie
    My former landlord and letting agent are trying to withheld my deposit. (England 12month AST).
    They are trying to claim I caused damage to the carpets and walls but this damage actually belongs to the second flat in the same building and was caused by the previous tenant of that flat who left...
    15-04-2019, 18:04 PM
  • Reply to Landlord trying to keep deposit
    jpkeates
    While it's common to give the Prescribed Information to the tenant with the Tenancy Agreement it can backfire if the deposit isn't actually protected at that point, because the Prescribed Information is technically not correct.

It will be almost impossible to take legal action from outside...
    19-04-2019, 17:19 PM
  • Reply to Landlord trying to keep deposit
    cherrie
    Thank you for all your help.

The prescribed information was signed by myself and the letting agent at the same time the tenancy agreement was signed and the keys were handed over. I wasn’t actually given a chance to read the prescribed information before I signed it. The prescribed information...
    19-04-2019, 16:43 PM
    AlexR
    Did the refit include looking at roof ,chimney flashings and drainpipes? Is it worse after a bout of bad weather?...
    19-04-2019, 16:15 PM
Working...
X