Tenant request for additional glazing due to traffic noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant request for additional glazing due to traffic noise

I rent out a central London flat and have done for the past 10 years. I have a new tenant who is requesting additional glazing in one of the bedrooms due to the noise - it is on a main road. This is the first time in 10 years that this has come up as an issue - I lived there for 6 years without issues around being able to sleep and it is worth noting that the property is already double glazed throughout. I would be interested to hear what would everyone's views be on this - no, because when they viewed the property they were well aware of the fact it was on a main road, or yes? Is there any requirement for this to be remedied for them or do we just say no and then they have the opportunity to end the contract later in the year in line with the break clause if it's really not working for them. Interested to hear your views - many thanks!

No, of course not. I suspect they'll be used to the traffic noise by the time of the break clause.

Comment

I think it is only considered for new builds or during conversion work.

I would be concerned that they are going to leave the windows closed overnight, even without an upgrade, resulting in condensation.

Comment

If the property is on a noisy road of course windows are going to be shut. If you worry about condensation supply extractors or dehumidifiers or both.

What sort of curtains do you have up or do you have useless blinds? I'd supply them with some thick curtains that were longer and wider than the windows. I'd also check the mastic around the windows to make sure the glazing is still effective.

If you have a lot of problem keeping tenants and these are good tenants then you could consider an acoustic screen.

Comment

Thank you all - the property is council leasehold and I am also not meant to make any alterations to the windows. I haven't had any issues such as this in the past 10 years, having had 3 long term tenants across this period, and the windows are otherwise effective.

Comment

I'd simply offer the tenant the opportunity to end the tenancy early.
            You don't want to change the windows and the tenant isn't going to want to live there - no point in dragging things out.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant abandoning property
              Ms London
              What can be done about tenants just leaving the property without notice, nor paying rent before the end of the fixed term AST?

I'm talking about the rented room on AST in London started September last year. I've got no forwarding address and suspect they left abroad. Can I put it in court?...
              05-06-2019, 22:30 PM
            • Reply to Tenant abandoning property
              leaseholder64
              You won't get money from the UK job unless you find out about and request an attachment of earnings. The payment will be subject to affordability....
              19-06-2019, 23:45 PM
              mariner
              T leaving keys in the property does not end the Tenancy, unless you accept them.
              19-06-2019, 23:22 PM
            • Live in landlord
              Schie
              Hi - I have 3 bed house. I have converted one reception into room where I live and I have rented out 3 bedrooms upstairs (2 double bed and 1 single).

I'm thinking of doing loft conversion that's mean 4th bedroom. Do I need hmo license if I do loft conversion?
              19-06-2019, 22:40 PM
            • Reply to Live in landlord
              leaseholder64
              You need an HMO licence even without the conversion, assuming double occupation of at least one double bedroom. This assumes there is no selective licensing for smaller HMOs.

You need to obey HMO regulations, even if there are only 4 residents, in total.
              19-06-2019, 23:14 PM
            • Council tax issue
              buttons
              I served a section 21 notice which ended on 2nd June on a tenant. The reason was the tenant had not claimed their housing benefit. They finally got this sorted and I got paid in April then again in May. I went to the house on 22 May, the tenant was just going into the house, the first time I had seen...
              19-06-2019, 22:39 PM
            • Reply to Council tax issue
              scampicat
              I had a similar problem with a tenant. I had to provide a tenancy agreement with a note written by me explaining that the tenancy was relinquishd early, by mutual agreement. I gave the date that she was responsible for the tenancy for (which was a month later than she said). A couple of months later...
              19-06-2019, 22:49 PM
            • 1st time landlord, 'enthusiastic' estate agent, questionable tenants.
              daz87
              All,

First time landlord that is moving with work and renting out home.

Perspective tenants, working couple one on maternity, a number of children who are keen for longer tenancy agreement than 6 months due to schools and settling in.

They have a guarantor,...
              19-06-2019, 14:59 PM
            • Reply to 1st time landlord, 'enthusiastic' estate agent, questionable tenants.
              2006holly
              Walk away from them, there’ll be plenty more potential tenants.
              letting agent I engaged agreed to let my flat without giving me all the info on the tenant. It’s been a nightmare of constant late payments, so many lies by agents that are still coming to light, tenants income wasn’t verified,...
              19-06-2019, 22:22 PM
              Ms London
              so the picture of an empty room with the keys on the table is good enough as evidence?
              And I'll take it to the court but if they've got a job in Ireland, not in the UK, I'll not get my rent back? And if they do get a job in the UK, automatically they will be made to pay me the rent that they owe?...
              19-06-2019, 20:39 PM
            Working...
            X