X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goodll
    started a topic Tenant left Garage full of stuff

Tenant left Garage full of stuff

Hi. Tenant sent me a notice to vacate property, which he did on 20th August. However, he left a garage full of stuff including a motorbike engine and frame, cement mixer, tools and workbenches.
    He never answers any calls, but I can WhatsApp him and I can see he reads my messages. He gave a false forwarding address too.
    Problem is, what to do with his stuff. A couple of days ago, I send him a WhatApp message stating that he has 14 days to collect his stuff, after which the items will be disposed of.
    Just checking if this is correct course of action. It is difficult to let the flat without the garage, as its a coach-house and is one of the defining factors with the flat for potential renters.
    Many thanks for any replies....

• goodll
    replied
    Many thanks folks, this is reassuring. He came last weekend with a yellow Hippo skip bag, dumped it on the pavement and filled it with crap from the garage. Obviously, he has fly-tipped this - he won't pay for Hippo to collect.
    I expect there are items he wants but has no storage for it, he is not the sort of person he pays for anything - apart from Cocaine apparently!
    Thanks again folks.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Tell him as he is still using property, in possession rent is still due. Would he like to clear it.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Also give notice that you intend to to this under the terms of the Act.. If you have no service address, attach the notice to the garage itself.

I don't want to express an opinion on whether 14 days is enough, but if there is anything of value, you may need to safely store it.

Leave a comment:

• Logical.Lean
    replied
    So that basically says, after 14 days, sell the stuff, deduct any costs and return money to him?

Leave a comment:

• Logical.Lean
    replied
    I'd add that you'll be seeking compensation through the courts for costs of disposal / or storage after those 14? days (probably needs to be longer)

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Could you leave garage door open and hope the items get taken by itinerant scrap men?

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/infor...ods-in-rentals

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• When to call end to tenancy
    Slepewalker
    Thoughts from experienced landlords would be appreciated. The tenancy is now periodic. The house is a modern build, in good repair and decoration.

Tenants are slow in reporting maintenance issues or, conversely, needy. We have replaced a blown light bulb as tenants did not know how...
    18-05-2019, 17:58 PM
  • Reply to When to call end to tenancy
    alice123
    if tenants smoke outside thats usually acceptable

i think that for mice well - this is a common problem but as for carpets smelling of urine ??mmmm I found i had mice in my loft a few years back and the council come down for free to put stuff down and do a survey all free maybe you could...
    19-05-2019, 23:22 PM
  • deposit and damage
    shiraaz
    Hi all
    I've read quite a few of the posts here about deposit returns and deductions. Renewals of on going tenancies, unprotected deposits but I still have some questions

A tenant moved in Oct 2015 and vacated on 29th April. (I have 6 other properties I let just for context). This...
    15-05-2019, 11:18 AM
  • Reply to deposit and damage
    alice123
    exactlly where is the deposit now ? in the scheme ? or in your pocket ?

this doesnt make sense to me --

This particular one the letting agent I use always put the deposit into a scheme themselves and when tenant vacated in 2015 they returned as there were arrears and damages...
    19-05-2019, 23:17 PM
  • Buying a tenanted property
    craig2222
    Hi I'm thinking about buying a tenanted property.Is there anything I should be weary of ? .This would be my 4th and would bring my total income to about 48000 minus mortgage interest etc.Im presuming the new tax rules would not affect me as I would still be in the basic tax bracket ?
    19-05-2019, 19:04 PM
  • Reply to Buying a tenanted property
    alice123
    if there is a tenant in there - beware
    is there some reason why the property is being sold ? is this a bad tenant ect ?
    not sure if you would be in the basic tax bracket but check that out - in a basic tax and earn 9,000 pounds plus my rental income 4000 pounds minus repairs/mortgage and...
    19-05-2019, 22:34 PM
  • i Have given up letting ......
    alice123
    just to let you all know i have given up letting - the only property i have now is where my son lives and a let that one out and hes no intention of letting me sell it either to himself or otherwise -
    i did have another property which was quite far away and the problems i had with a tenant with...
    17-05-2019, 16:10 PM
  • Reply to i Have given up letting ......
    alice123
    yes ive dont know why people on here think i dont fill in my tax return as it seems to be something that people think i do not do when i have been doing it for the past 20 years , although im a low earner and pay very little tax or usually get a return - been letting property out for 20 years and self...
    19-05-2019, 22:30 PM
  • I did not use tenancy deposit scheme help !
    abenson246
    I am a novice landlord and i took over the tenancy from the agent and they gave me the deposit . Tenets moved out and i deducted £160 from there £600 deposit for repairs . Then got a letter from a solicitor demanding 6x the deposit ! After looking in to it i now see i was in the wrong but from...
    08-04-2019, 22:41 PM
  • Reply to I did not use tenancy deposit scheme help !
    alice123
    i know of a landlord who has over 100 properties and NEVER takes a tenacny deposit simply because of this...
    19-05-2019, 21:46 PM
Working...
X