X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goodll
    started a topic Tenant left Garage full of stuff

Tenant left Garage full of stuff

Hi. Tenant sent me a notice to vacate property, which he did on 20th August. However, he left a garage full of stuff including a motorbike engine and frame, cement mixer, tools and workbenches.
    He never answers any calls, but I can WhatsApp him and I can see he reads my messages. He gave a false forwarding address too.
    Problem is, what to do with his stuff. A couple of days ago, I send him a WhatApp message stating that he has 14 days to collect his stuff, after which the items will be disposed of.
    Just checking if this is correct course of action. It is difficult to let the flat without the garage, as its a coach-house and is one of the defining factors with the flat for potential renters.
    Many thanks for any replies....

• goodll
    replied
    Many thanks folks, this is reassuring. He came last weekend with a yellow Hippo skip bag, dumped it on the pavement and filled it with crap from the garage. Obviously, he has fly-tipped this - he won't pay for Hippo to collect.
    I expect there are items he wants but has no storage for it, he is not the sort of person he pays for anything - apart from Cocaine apparently!
    Thanks again folks.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Tell him as he is still using property, in possession rent is still due. Would he like to clear it.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Also give notice that you intend to to this under the terms of the Act.. If you have no service address, attach the notice to the garage itself.

I don't want to express an opinion on whether 14 days is enough, but if there is anything of value, you may need to safely store it.

Leave a comment:

• Logical.Lean
    replied
    So that basically says, after 14 days, sell the stuff, deduct any costs and return money to him?

Leave a comment:

• Logical.Lean
    replied
    I'd add that you'll be seeking compensation through the courts for costs of disposal / or storage after those 14? days (probably needs to be longer)

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Could you leave garage door open and hope the items get taken by itinerant scrap men?

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/infor...ods-in-rentals

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• No deposit strategy
    Marty115
    Hello all,

I'm hoping those of you with much more experience could help me out. I've been reviewing the way in which i manage my tenancy's and im thinking of no longer taking deposits and instead just bringing rent up to market value. Obviously there is both pros and cons to this idea...
    21-03-2019, 15:44 PM
  • Reply to No deposit strategy
    JK0
    Sounds like a good idea to me. I might steal it. ...
    21-03-2019, 19:10 PM
    spiritdreams
    I am always wondering the wisdom of not charging a deposit.

Sure there are less work involved, and creates less hassel, so far nearly always returned the full deposit.

The deposit for me acts like a gate for tenant fiance, having deposit to pay usually means the tenants has...
    21-03-2019, 18:47 PM
  • Notice to Quit - Tenant Side
    tomymm
    Good Evening Everyone,

Please see the below.

Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? - England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? - Multiple Tenants (2
    20-03-2019, 18:39 PM
  • Reply to Notice to Quit - Tenant Side
    jpkeates
    The answer is something you will have to agree with your landlord.
    The solution was not to have made an adjustment when the rent payment moved.

While it's sensible to coincide paying rent with getting paid (which is usually why the date moved), the best solution is to leave the rent...
    21-03-2019, 16:58 PM
    jpkeates
    Best strategy for keeping voids down and tenants staying longer is to charge the right rent and keep things in a decent state of repair.
    Or allow pets and/or prioritise tenants with school age children.
    21-03-2019, 16:53 PM
  • Reply to Notice to Quit - Tenant Side
    tomymm
    Thanks for the replies - really helpful.

The ex and I are still on good speaking terms so that side won't be a problem.

I will speak to the landlord as we are also on good terms and hopefully, we can come to an arrangement.

Lastly, how is the rent apportioned...
    21-03-2019, 16:34 PM
    Marty115
    Thank you both for your responses, so i would be able to offer both options when showing around prospective tenants? The reason for below market rate is to lower void periods and keep good tenants in situ for longer or at least i like to think thats how it works....
    21-03-2019, 16:31 PM
    DPT57
    I agree with jpkeates. Properties should be let at the market rents if you're running a business. You're allowed to set the rent as you see fit. The only chance of it ever being likely to become a problem is if after 12 months you elect to increase the rent using a s13 notice to a sum so far in excess...
    21-03-2019, 16:17 PM
  • Tenant with learning - alcohol problems given council flat but no idea what to do.
    rugbyroom
    Dear Forum,

Will try and keep this short.

I had to recently serve notice to a tenant of mine with both learning and alcohol problems.

Prior to given tenant his section 21, I went to the local council and explained tenants situation, as he had lived in the same...
    21-03-2019, 13:17 PM
Working...
X