Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T denies rent after the NTQ expiry he made unclear later

Short story:
    1. The tenant (T) served me the notice to quit (NTQ) after I served him the Section 21 (S21) Notice. The NTQ expiry was 2 weeks earlier than the S21 expiry.
    2. After several days, T sent the rent up to the NTQ expiry, and wrote he *didn't know* if he will need to stay longer. (1 month before the NTQ expiry)
    3. But then 2 weeks before the NTQ expiry, T suddenly wrote that he wants to terminate the tenancy by the NTQ expiry, which was 2 weeks earlier than the S21 expiry.
    4. I initially agreed, but later I wrote T that he should be liable for the rent up to the S21 expiry, since I could not rent the property to others between the NTQ and S21 expiries due to uncertainty.
    5. But T insists he didn't *ask* to stay longer. T indeed vacated by the NTQ expiry, and disagrees with deducting the rent up to the S21 expiry from the deposit.

Q: Am I entitled to deduct the rent up to the S21 expiry from the deposit? Will I win if I have to bring this to the TDS or the court?

(All communication was made in email.)

-----

Long story:
    1.1. The tenant (T) emailed that he wants to terminate the tenancy two weeks earlier (NTQ expiry) than the Section 21 Notice expiry date (S21 expiry) I gave him, and I agreed.

2.1. After several days, T sent the rent up to the NTQ expiry, and wrote that because of change in circumstances he didn't know yet if he will need to stay longer. So I told him to let me know if he needs to stay longer (1 month before the NTQ expiry).

3.1. Two weeks before the NTQ expiry, I told T that I consider the tenancy ends on the S21 expiry, because he had not made clear when he will vacate.
    3.2. But then T suddenly wrote me he wants to terminate the tenancy at the NTQ expiry, which was only two weeks away.

4.1. I initially wrote him to do so.
    4.2. But on the next day, I thought it's unfair because I didn't have a month's notice, so I raised objection and wrote that T should be liable for the rent until S21 expiry, but T and I disagreed.

5.1. T indeed vacated by the NTQ expiry, and I had the exit inventory done the next day, to avoid confusion.
    5.2. Because T only paid rent up to the NTQ expiry, I demanded to deduct the rent up to the S21 expiry from the deposit.
    5.3. But T does not agree, pointing out that he never *asked* to stay longer. So he insists that the tenancy ended on the NTQ expiry.
    5.4. For me, this is unfair, because without knowing his definite exit day, I cannot let the property out. I was told about T's definite exit date only 2 weeks before the original NTQ expiry, so I don't consider it enough notice.

If a valid notice to quit (in writing, at least one complete period, ending on a period) is given, then the tenancy in question will end on its expiry.

If a short notice is given, and accepted by the landlord, then it's as if a valid notice was given.

If both parties agree to waive the notice to quit (however worded), then a new tenancy is granted from when the original tenancy ended.

2.1 Your tenant say they may need to stay beyond the NTQ, you indicated that you would be okay with this, but no definite agreement was reached.

The tenancy ended on the expiry of the NTQ. You are not entitled to deduct two weeks worth of rent. There is no tenancy for those two weeks, no rent was due.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Largely what KTC wrote, plus: S21 does not end a tenancy; it gives a date after which landlord can start proceedings for possession if tenant does not leave.

But a NTQ cannot be waived; however, a new tenancy can be agreed starting the next day.

Comment

Q1.
        If a valid notice to quit (in writing, at least one complete period, ending on a period) is given, then the tenancy in question will end on its expiry.
        The original NTQ expiry was not on a period. It was one week earlier than that. So I think it is valid only while I agree with it. Although I initially agreed to it, he later wrote me that he does not know if he will need to stay longer. And now I made clear that I disagree with ending on the NTQ expiry. Doesn't this make the NTQ invalid, which would be valid only with my agreement?

Q2.
        But a NTQ cannot be waived; however, a new tenancy can be agreed starting the next day.
        I don't think I can start the tenancy starting the next day of the NTQ expiry if T wrote he's not sure if he will need to stay more. When I wrote that the property is available after the NTQ expiry up to the S21 expiry, he wrote thank you, and said he will let me know. Doesn't this amount to his *reserving* the right to stay between the NTQ expiry and the S21 expiry?

Comment

Q1. You are bound by your original acceptance of the notice to quit. Later "withdrawal" of that acceptance is of no effect.

Q2. Hence no new tenancy was agreed to start after the end of the original tenancy on the notice to quit expiry. No new tenancy, no rent due.
          I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Please complete & paste 66253-important-information-required-from-all-new-posters

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to No Fault Eviction
              by AndrewDod
              Next time my tenants give notice I'll try to kick them out three weeks early instead. Makes sense.
              Someone pays for all these jokers....
              24-07-2021, 13:59 PM
            • No Fault Eviction
              by Gdunwell
              Hi All, I have been living in the same house for 7 years and have just been served a form 6A giving 4 months notice to vacate. The owner is returning from overseas and wants to live in the house. Whilst disappointed I get that this is one of the perils of renting but it has raised a few questions. ...
              24-07-2021, 07:54 AM
            • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
              by Neelix
              Do you not have a managing agent?
              24-07-2021, 13:56 PM
            • Very difficult tenant issues
              by Helvie
              I'm going to keep this short as its a long story. I have a tenant who signed the new tenancy contract on 15th June and then on 27th June I received about 20-25 messages and pictures the evening saying the flat was unliveable due to pests and that he had only moved in the night before. I went round to...
              24-07-2021, 12:46 PM
            • Reply to Stock Market - Yes or No ?
              by landlord-man
              Yes, they have a demo account where you can play with £75,000 ($100,000)

I did put $10k into one copy on April 4th and its now on a profit of $4,915, so nearly 50% in just under 4 months.

I guess as Im only playing, I should "invest" all the funds and see how they...
              24-07-2021, 13:28 PM
            • Stock Market - Yes or No ?
              by landlord-man
              I will post here but it may get moved - but at least it gets a bit of exposure to begin with lol

I've used a platform called etoro for 2 or 3 years to hold shares in some cruise stocks (don't laugh) - mainly because we do 4 or 5 cruises a year and the shareholder benefits can be quite handy....
              24-07-2021, 09:50 AM
            • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
              by landlord-man
              Has he paid the rent on June 15th and then again on July 15th?

Sounds obvious but have you double checked you have done all the correct paperwork and deposit registration/certificate - triple check it !!

Personally, going forward I would not liaise with the tenant in any way...
              24-07-2021, 13:19 PM
            • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
              by Hudson01
              Even if you were my opinion would stay the same, i think that given it is a converted house the noise isolation and other issues are not the same as separate purpose built flats, so having one as a rental will have far more of an impact upon the other owners who live there. It really is a one way street...
              24-07-2021, 13:12 PM
            • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
              by witsend55
              Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
              24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
            • Reply to No Fault Eviction
              by jpucng62
              This is not my understanding - perhaps others can clarify. I thought you had to give your usual notice if you were leaving before the end of the LLs notice period....
              24-07-2021, 13:09 PM
            Working...
            X