Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appropriate tenancy agreement for weekday / Monday - Friday rental

Hi All,

Apologies if this has already been discussed, I have searched but found nothing.

I would like to rent out my studio apartment between Monday - Friday over an extended period. While the apartment has a second room, you could not view it as an extra bedroom. Thus my prospective tenant will have 'exclusive use' and access to the flat during the week.

Is an adjusted Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement appropriate for this? Am I able to add the required additional clauses - e.g. the appropriate share of bills etc.? Is there a preferred legal framework to make sure both the tenant and I are properly protected?

Many thanks in advance.

John

You won't find a framework for that - you need a bespoke agreement drawn up to make sure it doesn't become a tenancy.
    An assured shorthand tenancy isn't appropriate (as the occupant can't have it as their main residence).

You'll need to make sure that any superior lease (or mortgage lender or insurer) allows such an arrangement (which is unlikely).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Why don't you just have them as a lodger and state you wont be there Monday to Friday.
      "Sorted".
      I was a lodger under the same conditions years ago.
      No written contract, just pay the rent, be good, and no pay rent when due, i'm out.
      Simplicity in itself. And yes a deposit was given.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to No Fault Eviction
        by AndrewDod
        Next time my tenants give notice I'll try to kick them out three weeks early instead. Makes sense.
        Someone pays for all these jokers....
        24-07-2021, 13:59 PM
      • No Fault Eviction
        by Gdunwell
        Hi All, I have been living in the same house for 7 years and have just been served a form 6A giving 4 months notice to vacate. The owner is returning from overseas and wants to live in the house. Whilst disappointed I get that this is one of the perils of renting but it has raised a few questions. ...
        24-07-2021, 07:54 AM
      • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
        by Neelix
        Do you not have a managing agent?
        24-07-2021, 13:56 PM
      • Very difficult tenant issues
        by Helvie
        I'm going to keep this short as its a long story. I have a tenant who signed the new tenancy contract on 15th June and then on 27th June I received about 20-25 messages and pictures the evening saying the flat was unliveable due to pests and that he had only moved in the night before. I went round to...
        24-07-2021, 12:46 PM
      • Reply to Stock Market - Yes or No ?
        by landlord-man
        Yes, they have a demo account where you can play with £75,000 ($100,000)

I did put $10k into one copy on April 4th and its now on a profit of $4,915, so nearly 50% in just under 4 months.

I guess as Im only playing, I should "invest" all the funds and see how they...
        24-07-2021, 13:28 PM
      • Stock Market - Yes or No ?
        by landlord-man
        I will post here but it may get moved - but at least it gets a bit of exposure to begin with lol

I've used a platform called etoro for 2 or 3 years to hold shares in some cruise stocks (don't laugh) - mainly because we do 4 or 5 cruises a year and the shareholder benefits can be quite handy....
        24-07-2021, 09:50 AM
      • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
        by landlord-man
        Has he paid the rent on June 15th and then again on July 15th?

Sounds obvious but have you double checked you have done all the correct paperwork and deposit registration/certificate - triple check it !!

Personally, going forward I would not liaise with the tenant in any way...
        24-07-2021, 13:19 PM
      • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
        by Hudson01
        Even if you were my opinion would stay the same, i think that given it is a converted house the noise isolation and other issues are not the same as separate purpose built flats, so having one as a rental will have far more of an impact upon the other owners who live there. It really is a one way street...
        24-07-2021, 13:12 PM
      • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
        by witsend55
        Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
        24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
      • Reply to No Fault Eviction
        by jpucng62
        This is not my understanding - perhaps others can clarify. I thought you had to give your usual notice if you were leaving before the end of the LLs notice period....
        24-07-2021, 13:09 PM
      Working...
      X