Employee lives on employer's site- am I a tenant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bel
    replied
    See here for more info

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice...wipLive-8432-1

Call shelter for more advice.

Leave a comment:

• Grange
    replied
    Yes, you have rights to live there. But you don't have rights not to be evicted immediately your employment comes to an end. (e.g. if you resign/are sacked you don't have the rights not to be evicted that you would have if you were a tenant.) But all that is pretty irrelevant; you are the caretaker (or whatever) and whilst doing that job you live on site.

They are trying to change the terms of your contract, and they are not allowed to do that without your agreement.

Assuming you have had the job for over a year, they cannot sack you for not agreeing to the new contract - but don't expect them to be terribly nice to you if you don't...

Leave a comment:

• ajl338
    replied
    I've just been promoted so i do get well over the minimum wage. I officially work a 36 hour week and the house comes as part of the job so even when you are on call 5pm - 9am one night a week they count it as not offically working.

What does occupying a site under licence mean? Does it come with any rights for me living there.

I've been doing some research and the outside site lights come off my fuse pannel so i'm also guessing that the electricity for them comes off my metre and i have found out that if the landlord is a site owner (i think this is actually aimed at caravan parks) they can only charge of the electricty going to your unit and specifically not electricity for site lighting or lighting of a toilet block or office.

I'm not getting a pay rise when they implement paying bills and council tax so effectivly i'm getting a pay cut which is equivimant to nearly 9% of my wage.

I'm basically hoping to keep comming up with problems as to why they cant do what they are doing because i know that work have no money to put it right and they will just end up shelving the idea as they do everything else.

annie

Leave a comment:

• Grange
    replied
    You are almost certainly not a tenant, but instead occupy the site under a licence.

However, as Bel says, this looks as though the benefits of your employement are being changed. And they generally cannot be without your consent (and you're unlikely to agree to this one, are you!).

Remember, even though you are supplied with accommodation you have to be paid the mininimum wage. Count up the number of hours you work per week (always a difficult one with live-in caretakers; I don't know if there is any guidance provided about being 'on call') and check you get the minimum wage.

Are they putting up your wages and no longer paying the electricity because of the minimum wage?

Leave a comment:

• Bel
    replied
    My gut feeling is that it isn't really fair to change the terms of your accomodation/job like this.If you are required to live on site then I would say that your job ties in to your tenancy so it is excluded from the normal residential tenancies we deal with here that are governed by the housing act 1988.

The terms of the accomodation should have be clear at the outset as part of your emplyers contract. The fact that it doesnt seem to be so suggests your employer is not very professional. You have already accepted a pay reduction in lieu of rent. But I suppose employers have a right to change the terms of contracts under certain circumsatnces??

I feel this question is more linked to employment rights than the tenancy issue per se.
    Can you get advice from a union? Or Citizen's advice? Or a solicitor?

Leave a comment:

• ajl338
    started a topic Employee lives on employer's site- am I a tenant?

Employee lives on employer's site- am I a tenant?

I currently live on a residential field centre site. I'm required in my contract to live on site. ( i respond to things like the fire alarm and provide overnight cover for visiting groups)

Because i am required to live on site i dont pay rent although i do get a lower wage than people doing the same job as me but living off site. Also up until this point Westminster CC has payed my council tax because i get no choice where i live.

Under new proposals , no change to my contract as from possibly next month it is proposed that i pay council tax (best part of £700) and gas and electricity bills (about £1000).

It seems that i have no rights as i am not a tenant because i dont have a housing contract. Is this correct?

The energy supply to the site is currently down one main route and the proposal is that my employer pays the bills and then claims back the money from us by reading our meters. Is my employer allowed to resale gas and electricity?
    Should i be getting a bill from the utility companies if i am paying for essentially their services?
    If i am paying energy bills do i have the right to decide who i purchase it from?

LAstly due to re-wiring work done last autumn i had the insulation removed from my loft and it hasnt been put back, this means most my heat goes straight out of the roof. If i pay bills would it be reasonable to demand that my house be insulated before i pay?

Any suggestions about which pieces of legistation to read would be greatly appriciated.

ann

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X