Broadband Service Provider - Tenant Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
    That wouldn't work, you still need the password to connect the router to the ISP/DSL. (Internet Service Provider/Digital Subscriber Line).

The information on the router is only for connecting other devices to that router, which you can do but you will just get a message like this, and when you open the network login page you won't have the neededpassword for the subscriber line, only the original subscriber will have that:

Capture.GIF
    Interesting. I recently changed from using a Speedtouch 330 modem to a 'Brightbox' supplied by Orange.

The speedtouch required username & password to be recorded on my computer, the same as with dialup.

The Brightbox needs neither, as far as I can see. Are you saying that Orange encoded my username & password in its ROM before sending it to me?

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
      The Brightbox needs neither, as far as I can see. Are you saying that Orange encoded my username & password in its ROM before sending it to me?
      Yes, Orange/EE do this with Brightbox routers.
      There's usually no need to enter your broadband username and password as these are already set up.
      https://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-dev...admin-password

Brightbox routers are exclusive to Orange/EE and they already have your account and landline details so are able to programme that into the particular router box that they send to you.
      You just plug it in and wait a few minutes for the connection to be made.
      (Brightbox routers are 'hardwired' to only connect to Orange/EE, (@fs) so you couldn't use one on TalkTalk say).

There are three passwords that are needed for any router.
      1. The DSL username/password that connects the router to your internet service. (Provided with your broadband account, or in your case programmed into the router).
      2. The router admin username/password that allows you to change the settings on the router itself. (Usually found on a card/sticker).
      3. The wifi password that allows devices to connect to the router by wifi. (Again usually on the card/sticker).
      It's that first one that you will not have for the existing BB service tied to a particular landline.

I suppose the big question here is why you can't have more than one BB service/account on the same line at the same time, especially with fibre?
      You'd have to ask Offcom about that, but I suspect it's because of copper connections not being able to handle that, and it's not something you would normally want anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        Interesting. I recently changed from using a Speedtouch 330 modem to a 'Brightbox' supplied by Orange.

The speedtouch required username & password to be recorded on my computer, the same as with dialup.

Different ISPs authenticate in different ways. Some require you to use a username and password specific to your account, which you may have to enter manually or which may be configured on the router before it’s sent to you. Some use a username and password that’s the same for all subscribers. Others just use your phone number to authenticate.

I’m not familiar with the Brightbox in particular but https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/home-...ernet-settings suggests it does have a username and password specific to you, which appears to be configured automatically when you set it up. Some posts on their forums suggest that it starts with a default username and password and EE then remotely log in to the router to change it to your specific one (it’s extremely common for routers provided by ISPs to allow the ISP to remotely configure and update them in this way).

Returning to the original question: reading the links that 45002 posted, it appears that the new ISP should be able to sort this (though tenacity may be required). Only thing the landlord might be able to do is to supply any requested proof to the ISP that the previous tenant no longer lives there.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X