AST Additions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST Additions

Hello, first post here so hopefully I don't fall foul of anything. found this site from a post on Moneysavingexpert by a longstanding member

A bit about me, I have three properties, one is mine, one members of my family live in and the third will be rented out

I've joined the RLA as recommended by some, and have downloaded the documents I need for renting out my house and acting as a landlord

I've a couple of sections that I wish to add, unless it breaches some form of rule

Firstly it surrounds pets, the tenant I've found has two small dogs. I am comfortable with this, the tenant seems good and if he feels at home he may be inclined to stay longer

What I want to add is something about making good the damage caused, if any, by the dogs.

The AST covers the tenant needing permission in writing for dogs, which I will provide, but can I add this condition to that letter or do I need an appendix to the AST?

Any advice is welcome, and thanks for reading

Welcome.

It's implicit in the agreement for a tenancy that any damage beyond fair wear and tear should be the tenant's responsibility, but it doesn't do any harm to reinforce that. And I'd put it in the tenancy agreement, rather than have two overlapping agreements.

If there's something specific you have in mind, like a complete clean of all the carpets at the end of the tenancy, include that, because that's not "damage". Chewed walls is damage, the normal consequences of two dogs in a property isn't.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for the response, I will look to add something in, the tenancy agreement on the RLA is a PDF so I couldn't add in to it but I will find a way

Good point on the carpets, two of them are brand new but the carpet in the living room I am comfortable with as I will replace when he leaves anyway. The condition is good, just has a couple of stains so once that starts to get a bit more worn I can happily replace it

Comment

When I allow pets, I put in a term about damage to carpets were I explicitly state that
        1. Tenants are required to clean the carpets at the end of the tenancy, unless the carpets have exceeded their expected life.
        2. If carpets cannot be cleaned, or have been damaged by the pets, then tenant will pay toward their replacement on the basis of (expected life not achieved)/(expected life)x(replacement cots including underlay and fitting).
        3. The expected life is 5 years and were new on <date>
        4. If tenant stays beyond X months then tenant will not be required to contribute toward replacement (this is just clarifying when the amount calculated at 2 becomes zero).
        5. If pet urine or excrement has penetrated the carpet and underlay, then tenant will be responsible for the cost of replacement of the damaged flooring.

Regarding PDF, you can do one of two things:
        1. Copy and paste the PDF content into a word processor (if copyright allows), then add your schedule for pets.
        2. Produce your schedule separately and continue page numbering from the PDF document.

Comment

Thanks MdeB, I will look to include something along those lines

Comment

Helpful info from MdeB

Thank you

Comment

Does insisting carpets are cleaned at the end of the tenancy not now fall foul of the new Tenant Fees Bill?

Comment

If the landlord requires the tenant to pay someone to clean the carpets it's probably illegal, but requiring the tenant to clean them should be OK.
                If the tenant decides to pay someone rather than do it themselves, that seems also to be allowed.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X