X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wickerman
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean One View Post
    I have five tenants in a HMO, two left recently racking up the electricity bill leaving lights/heating on 24/7, then leaving not paying there share of the bill. (Tenants responsible for bill not Landlord) the bill is five time higher than normal. Now the remaining three are refusing to pay this bill. They want me the Landlord to pay. We also have two new tenants that have just moved in. The electricity company is about to cut off the supply.

Although I fully sympathize with the tenants, I can not allow the supply to be cut as this will cause all sorts of further problems and the new tenants are innocent of this. All tenants are up to date with rent

Can anybody advise on how to resolve this.
    It is a HMO and as such you need to keep power to the property to enable fire detection and emergency lighting systems working - are these on a seperate supply? You may find your council requires you to either keep these on a dedicated supply or to ensure they are not on card or key operated meters.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Ignore the e-mails. What- precisely- does your Tenancy Agreement say about:
    a. what your rent includes; and
    b. liability for electricity bills?

Leave a comment:

• Riquest
    replied
    Electricity bill - £2000

Hi there,

We moved into our flat in July 2008.

Since then we havn't received any electricity bills. After 6 months (around february 2009) to avoid having to pay a massive bill, we sent an email and called our letting agent to tell them about this matter: no answer...

In the past year, we must have sent 10 emails to them and we met face to face twice regarding this matter but no arrangement was made and no solution found.

3 months ago we received an email from them stating that our electricity bills are included in our rent.

We gave our 2 months notice period a week ago (we are leaving at the end of september 2010). We received a £2000 bill for the past 2 years!!

Obsiously we don't want to pay £2000 as we tried many times to tell them about us not receiving any electricty bills...

I fear they won't give us back our deposit back (£1200).

I still have all the emails + the email we received from them stating that elect. bills are included in the rent.

Please we need your help, what can we do?

Many thanks for your time !

Leave a comment:

• Sorrel
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs Jones View Post
    OP has already stated that there was no formal tenancy agreement and the electricity company has issued a perfectly legitimate bill to the person named as in receipt of the supply - somehow I don't think they will be interested in receiving anything except the money.

Poppy's suggestion seems to be your only option!
    ah didnt quite read that bit, well it was there own stupid fault for doing that then!

In which case, hope to hell you can sweet talk whoever is on the phone into writing off the debt. Thats what I tend to do, sometimes works as well!

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Jones
    replied
    OP has already stated that there was no formal tenancy agreement and the electricity company has issued a perfectly legitimate bill to the person named as in receipt of the supply - somehow I don't think they will be interested in receiving anything except the money.

Poppy's suggestion seems to be your only option!

Leave a comment:

• Sorrel
    replied
    Just send the electricity company copies of their tenancy agreement and your sale details/date of completion along with any additional info regarding where there living now and tell them to deal with it.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Poppy View Post
    Any other bills waiting to be sprung on you?
    "My real name is Cassandra...." !

Leave a comment:

• Poppy
    replied
    Write to your former lovely tenants requesting the amount with a copy of the bill and cross your fingers that they will pay.

You should have changed the utility names at the start of the tenancy agreement irrespective of whether verbal or written.

Any other bills waiting to be sprung on you?

Leave a comment:

• pau
    replied
    Unpaid electricity bills addressed to tenants

owing to the period of uncertainty in the last six months whilst trying to sell a property (buyer needed vacant possession whilst I needed tenants until absolutely sure of sale ) I took on 2 tenants without a formal tenancy agreement. Now that the sale is completed and tenants moved on I find that these last 2 tenants did not contact electricity supplier at the start of their tenancy to put the account in their name-( I know it is my responsibility to do this but previous tenants over recent years had done it themselves , so I had got out of the habit ) I now have a bill over £1000. ( in my name ) I do have a forwarding address for one of the 2 tenants and I don't think they are dishonest . How should I handle this ?

Leave a comment:

• LandlordLee
    replied
    Hi.

I had a similar situation and i took the monies from the deposit of the ones that left.

What you can also do to avoid it being disconnected is change the accounts to the names of the new tenants, making a fresh start. Then add the names of the other three tenants later.

The old account will then be nothing to do with the new tenants and they can not touch the supply. Give them the address for the two people who have left and they can deal with it as they will chase them for the amount owed - and rightly so.

Leave a comment:

• Sean One
    replied
    Refusing to pay Electricity

I have five tenants in a HMO, two left recently racking up the electricity bill leaving lights/heating on 24/7, then leaving not paying there share of the bill. (Tenants responsible for bill not Landlord) the bill is five time higher than normal. Now the remaining three are refusing to pay this bill. They want me the Landlord to pay. We also have two new tenants that have just moved in. The electricity company is about to cut off the supply.

Although I fully sympathize with the tenants, I can not allow the supply to be cut as this will cause all sorts of further problems and the new tenants are innocent of this. All tenants are up to date with rent

Can anybody advise on how to resolve this.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Wickerman
    Great song. Used on the soundtrack to Reservoir Dogs?
    Yes! And originally (I think) the B side to Nilsson's sloppy song 'Without You'. Very unfairly, as it was the better production by far.

Leave a comment:

• mikegrant
    replied
    Okay, thankyou very much for your help. It's the first time i've had to deal with these matters so i didn't have any idea as to what the procedures were. As eric pointed out above, i'll be long gone before any of my mentioned concerns could come to pass so that's a great weight off my mind.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    "...put de lime in de coconut, she's
    Such a silly woman..."

(Nilsson)

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by mikegrant View Post
    I'm just wondering what will happen if/when the suppliers follow up on this and come round to the house? Is there any way they can take all my stuff?
    Totally agree with what Jeffrey's said; if you're concerned about the supplier's 'taking your stuff' don't even consider it as an issue: for a start, if they are still at the stage of writing threatening letters to your LL they still have to take her to court, get a CCJ registered against her, and only then, when she still doesn't pay up then they might eventually think about attempting to have bailiffs come in and take her possessions. All that would take many many months to happen, so even if it did, you'll presumably be long gone.

Also if you LL is fiddling the council tax I hardly think it's likely she's declaring her rent income to the Inland Revenue, so I suspect she's going to keep very quiet to any of the authorities about the fact that she's had lodgers!

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X