Liability for electricity bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Write to your former lovely tenants requesting the amount with a copy of the bill and cross your fingers that they will pay.

You should have changed the utility names at the start of the tenancy agreement irrespective of whether verbal or written.

Any other bills waiting to be sprung on you?

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
      Any other bills waiting to be sprung on you?
      "My real name is Cassandra...." !
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Just send the electricity company copies of their tenancy agreement and your sale details/date of completion along with any additional info regarding where there living now and tell them to deal with it.
        My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

OP has already stated that there was no formal tenancy agreement and the electricity company has issued a perfectly legitimate bill to the person named as in receipt of the supply - somehow I don't think they will be interested in receiving anything except the money.

Poppy's suggestion seems to be your only option!
          Mrs Jones
          I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Jones View Post
            OP has already stated that there was no formal tenancy agreement and the electricity company has issued a perfectly legitimate bill to the person named as in receipt of the supply - somehow I don't think they will be interested in receiving anything except the money.

Poppy's suggestion seems to be your only option!
            ah didnt quite read that bit, well it was there own stupid fault for doing that then!

In which case, hope to hell you can sweet talk whoever is on the phone into writing off the debt. Thats what I tend to do, sometimes works as well!
            My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Electricity bill - £2000

Hi there,

We moved into our flat in July 2008.

Since then we havn't received any electricity bills. After 6 months (around february 2009) to avoid having to pay a massive bill, we sent an email and called our letting agent to tell them about this matter: no answer...

In the past year, we must have sent 10 emails to them and we met face to face twice regarding this matter but no arrangement was made and no solution found.

3 months ago we received an email from them stating that our electricity bills are included in our rent.

We gave our 2 months notice period a week ago (we are leaving at the end of september 2010). We received a £2000 bill for the past 2 years!!

Obsiously we don't want to pay £2000 as we tried many times to tell them about us not receiving any electricty bills...

I fear they won't give us back our deposit back (£1200).

I still have all the emails + the email we received from them stating that elect. bills are included in the rent.

Please we need your help, what can we do?

Many thanks for your time !

Comment

Ignore the e-mails. What- precisely- does your Tenancy Agreement say about:
                a. what your rent includes; and
                b. liability for electricity bills?
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Sean One View Post
                  I have five tenants in a HMO, two left recently racking up the electricity bill leaving lights/heating on 24/7, then leaving not paying there share of the bill. (Tenants responsible for bill not Landlord) the bill is five time higher than normal. Now the remaining three are refusing to pay this bill. They want me the Landlord to pay. We also have two new tenants that have just moved in. The electricity company is about to cut off the supply.

Although I fully sympathize with the tenants, I can not allow the supply to be cut as this will cause all sorts of further problems and the new tenants are innocent of this. All tenants are up to date with rent

Can anybody advise on how to resolve this.
                  It is a HMO and as such you need to keep power to the property to enable fire detection and emergency lighting systems working - are these on a seperate supply? You may find your council requires you to either keep these on a dedicated supply or to ensure they are not on card or key operated meters.
                  Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X