Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House left dirty by tenant

Hello
    I will be checking one of my properties tomorrow after the tenant left last week. We have new tenants in on Wednesday and I want to make sure the property is ok for them.

The lettings agent have done a report on the property to say that it had been left quite dirty, for example, dirty bathrooms, dirty carpets with stains, kitchen dirty and oven in need of a good clean.

if it is not too bad tomorrow I will clean it myself ready for the new tenants however if it’s as bad as what the lettings agents are making out, we will probably have to employ cleaners in order to make the house presentable for the new tenants. If that is the case what is the likelihood of being able to claim the cost for the cleaners from the deposit?

I will be calling the agents tomorrow with whether or not to employ cleaners or not depending on how mucky the house is, the agents have said that if the tenant agrees they can take money from the deposit if they don’t then we would have to dispute it.

Would it it be worth taking photos of said mess, would that help?

Thanks

Depends how good the check in inventory was.

What you should have done is trusted your letting agent enough to negotiate there and then.

"Sorry, the cleaning is not good enough, a professional clean is £200, call it a £100 deduction and we'll instruct release of the deposit today".

Most tenants are reasonable.

Instead, you've caused an unnecessary delay in returning the deposit and invited a protracted dispute in a system weighted in favour of tenants.

Sorry to be blunt!

Comment

Incidentally, if the property is in a mess, you can claim on the deposit whether you use a professional cleaner, clean it yourself or even don't bother at all.

Comment

Unnecessary delay? The tenant moved out last saturday and we got the check out report two days ago from the agent, I phoned them yesterday to tell them about checking the property and maybe cleaning it. It’s only at the weekend when I have been free to go down to the property.

Has it been left too long? The agents did not mention anything about this?

Comment

No, you've not left it too long legally.
          But it could have been settled by your agent on the same day the tenant moved out.
          Leaving it a week is unnecessary and benefits no one.

Comment

You haven't left it too long, the agents could have been more proactive in sorting the issue.
            Assuming the property was in a decent condition when the tenants moved in, and you have some evidence for that, you will be able to claim compensation from the tenant for the cost of putting it back to the same condition.
            It's possible that your tenancy agreement has a term requiring the tenants to carry out some cleaning, which makes things clearer.

The charge you make has to be reasonable and reflect a standard cost for the work.

If you do employ cleaners, the cost is allowable against income for tax purposes (so there's a hidden discount).
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Ahh I see, will ask the agents as I’m calling them later when I check out the property I will probably pick us some cleaning supplies oven cleaner, bleach, polish, cif and cloths could I also keep the receipt and put that down?

Comment

If you buy cleaning supplies and want to reclaim the cost against income, they'd have to be used for the rental business only.
                The rule is that the expense is "wholly and exclusively" for the business.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                  If you do employ cleaners, the cost is allowable against income for tax purposes (so there's a hidden discount).
                  There is no "discount".
                  Either LL gets cost from tenant and that is income offset against expense so zero net tax,
                  Or LL does not get all of cost from tenant, so LL has an expense, which MAY result in a reduced tax liability (depending on circumstances)

Comment

Agents sound less than helpful. If this is meant to be a full management service I think I would be looking to change them.

Comment

DPT57 - I will be having words with the agents tomorrow, not really happy with their service at the moment!

for example there is a list as long as my arm for things they have failed to do! One of which is fix problems they have highlighted within the property even though we have paid them to do so! That became apparent over the weekend when we checked the property!

If we had not have gone down to the property over the weekend the new tenants would have come in on Wednesday to find a very dirty house, no working boiler and a washing machine in the middle of the kitchen which the previous tenant failed to take, even though we paid for an emergency plumber to help disconnect it! They have even told us that the gas safety certificate has run out even though we paid for it to be done in March!

It would have been absolutely awful for the tenants to try to move into that house in that condition and it wouldn’t show me and my partner as landlords in a very good light! We take a lot of pride in our houses and rental business and we are absolutely appalled by this!

Comment

Depending on your arrangement with LA IMO you have not left sufficient time between Ts to effect repairs/renovation, which could cost you.

Comment

I think you’re right mariner but it was the lettings agent that arranged the new tenant rather than ourselves, I even had to call them to ask when the new tenant was moving in as they were not forthcoming with that information and I was shocked when they told me it was Wednesday, when the previous tenant moved out the previous Saturday, it gave us a week and a half, however the LA only sent us the check out report late on, on Wednesday which was a week before the new tenant was due to move in!

Comment

Originally posted by Jennie30 View Post
                            They have even told us that the gas safety certificate has run out even though we paid for it to be done in March!
                            DO NOT let new tenants in until you have a valid gas safety certificate.
                            Nasty legal consequences if you do.

Originally posted by Jennie30 View Post
                            for example there is a list as long as my arm for things they have failed to do! One of which is fix problems they have highlighted within the property even though we have paid them to do so! That became apparent over the weekend when we checked the property!
                            They have attempted to defraud you (imo).

Terminate your agreement with them immediately and pursue them for repayment of
                            a) the money paid for work not done, and
                            b) refund of some of the monthly fees paid as they have not fulfilled their contract.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X