Ex tenant letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ex tenant letters

I went to clear flat and have about 3-4 months of post. Some I can identify as utility companies..electric, water..etc. Others look like debt collection letters etc which will no doubt keep coming to people who didn't live there.

"Return to sender - No longer lives here" on all of them or open one just for account number and phone EDF/water company addressed to tenant? Or shall I call them without opening the letter and just give them post code and then explain situation.

What's the right call here. Is it even legal to open someone else's post once it's delivered.

Do not open other people's letters unless you have permission from the person on the letter that you can open it. As legally your not allowed to do it.

The best thing is send back to sender, you can try and call the utility's companies but they may not give much information as the account is not in your name, I'm assuming you have already given them a closing meter readings for the 3 main utilities.It's up to the companies then to track the tenant (unless you have the forwarding address of the tenant, in which case, instead of sending back to sender, put the forwarding address of the tenant and let them deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
      Do not open other people's letters unless you have permission from the person on the letter that you can open it. As legally your not allowed to do it.

The best thing is send back to sender, you can try and call the utility's companies but they may not give much information as the account is not in your name, I'm assuming you have already given them a closing meter readings for the 3 main utilities.It's up to the companies then to track the tenant (unless you have the forwarding address of the tenant, in which case, instead of sending back to sender, put the forwarding address of the tenant and let them deal with it.
      I haven't given closing readings. I will do that tomorrow morning. I'm just in process of writing RTS on all the letters before putting them in letterbox.

I didn't know the companies they had signed up with until I cleared the post from property. Unfortunately the tenant left a while back and has not provided me with a forwarding address. I only got the key last Friday.

Will I need to send any extra things to utility companies like AST etc... as proof. Also what if my T had subletted it without informing me. The sublet T would not be my original tenant as on AST.

Comment

Its unlikely you need to send them any proof, as when they moved in, you would have told the utilities companies the details of the tenant(s) and given the meter readings from when they moved in, if they then changed supplier, it would be under their name not yours. You only need to tell them the tenant has moved out or abandoned the property and give them the readings.

Did you hold a deposit? Make sure you make a claim for any damages, even replacing the locks in case they made a copy, and take it from their deposit, and if they left earlier you should get the rent for those weeks as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
          Its unlikely you need to send them any proof, as when they moved in, you would have told the utilities companies the details of the tenant(s) and given the meter readings from when they moved in, if they then changed supplier, it would be under their name not yours. You only need to tell them the tenant has moved out or abandoned the property and give them the readings.

Did you hold a deposit? Make sure you make a claim for any damages, even replacing the locks in case they made a copy, and take it from their deposit, and if they left earlier you should get the rent for those weeks as well.
          I didn't take a deposit. I've changed the locks. I just didn't get round to giving final readings to gas/elec/water yet due to work. It's only been a few days. But the readings haven't change since no one lives there.

However I did notice that gas/electricity was on my tenants name. But the water bill was on someone else's name, possibly someone they let stay without telling me. I will give them a ring in the morning and see what they say.

Comment

As Artful says, it's amazing how weak the glue is on envelopes nowadays, and how easily they fall open revealing useful information.
            To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

AFAIK you have no obligation to RTS any of Ts mail. It has been delivered (served) to correct adddress,so no longer part of Royal Mail. The T should have set up a temp mail redirect service with PO.
              Letting is your role, so why the delay in providing Utilities etc with reqd info asap?

Comment

[QUOTE=mariner;n1037435]AFAIK you have no obligation to RTS any of Ts mail. It has been delivered (served) to correct adddress,so no longer part of Royal Mail. The T should have set up a temp mail redirect service with PO./QUOTE]

but RTS should stop them sending more and inconveniencing LL and new T

Comment

Some water companies have tried and may have succeeded in getting landlords to pay unpaid accounts of tenants.
                  I'm with Artful and JKO on looking at mail. Often it is the only way to find out what has been going on and why dump all this hassle on your new tenant.
                  Poor landlording skills.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

The letters say private and confidential. So I'll stick it back in post to be safe. But the majority do look like debt collection letters. You can tell those ones. Usually P.O box addresses.

The only letter I opened was electricity company as it wasexpressly allowed, apparently sub-tenant owes money and they want to change to pre-pay. This sub-tenant was a friend of my tenant. Not my actual tenant as we had no agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Handson View Post
                      The letters say private and confidential.
                      Those are the ones with the weakest glue, in my experience.
                      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

I always open mail because I'm nosey. I don't think it's illegal to open letters but I think it's illegal to prevent the addressee from getting the mail. I'll try and find the legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                          AFAIK you have no obligation to RTS any of Ts mail. It has been delivered (served) to correct adddress,so no longer part of Royal Mail. The T should have set up a temp mail redirect service with PO.
                          Letting is your role, so why the delay in providing Utilities etc with reqd info asap?
                          I will give final readings today. I didn't have access that's why situation has got where it has.

What I want to know is if somebody other than tenant assigned the bills to their own name but had no tenancy with me whose responsible. I have no forwarding address to speak of.

Comment

The Postal Services act 2000 says this:

84Interfering with the mail: general.

(1)A person commits an offence if, without reasonable excuse, he—

(a)intentionally delays or opens a postal packet in the course of its transmission by post, or

(b)intentionally opens a mail-bag.

(2)Subsections (2) to (5) of section 83 apply to subsection (1) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.

(3)A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

(4)Subsections (2) and (3) of section 83 (so far as they relate to the opening of postal packets) apply to subsection (3) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.

(5)A person who commits an offence under subsection (1) or (3) shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both.

1 a - I would think that when the letter arrives at the house it has completed the course of it's transmission so you can open it.

Comment

I see no offence: the mail has been 'delivered' so is not delayed or opened in the course of transmission in the post; and has not been opened 'intending to act to a person's detriment' and wanting to know what the hell is going on, when an ex-tenant has left unpaid bills is a more than 'reasonable excuse'. If the ex-T has arranged postal redirection, they would have been delivered to the ex-T.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                                by Yorkie2020
                                Guess I've been very lucky this time. My niece has informed her partner that she is ending the tenancy and signing up for a new one in her name only and he is ok with it. She did point out that he will no longer be responsible for any more rent or bills when it's totally in her name.
                                JPkeats,...
                                27-10-2021, 02:02 AM
                              • Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                                by Yorkie2020
                                Good evening all,

I wonder if I could get some advice on ending an AST tenancy in England.

Originally a 6 month AST last Sept between my niece and her partner, I foolishly listed both on the AST as joint tenants and didn't list him as a permitted, there was no deposit paid....
                                20-10-2021, 19:44 PM
                              • Reply to Increasing rent
                                by jpkeates
                                There may be something on the NRLA website, but I don't know of a standard template.

To be honest that clause doesn't seem to help you a lot, it stops you using a s13 notice (I'd wrongly assumed that because it said "may" you'd be able to) but doesn't actually help you with an...
                                26-10-2021, 17:37 PM
                              • Increasing rent
                                by Berlingogirl
                                Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
                                My tenancy agreement says
                                “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
                                Is there a specific form I should use?...
                                26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
                                by Berlingogirl
                                Thanks jpkeates, I looked at the form 13 but that’s for if you don’t have anything in your tenancy agreement with regard to a rent increase. Is there a pro forma for a rent increase if there is a condition in your TA?
                                26-10-2021, 17:05 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                If the tenancy is now an SPT, and you want to be ever so formal (and impose the increase without any agreement), search for form 13 (which is called something else on the government's tenancy forms page).

Otherwise, you just need to get the tenant to agree and start paying the new rent...
                                26-10-2021, 13:58 PM
                              • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                                by jpkeates
                                It is quite likely that the 2 additional months might be seen as a deposit, unless the tenancy agreement is very specific about the initial payment being for months 1, 5 and 6.

If it is a deposit, you won't be able to use a s21 notice without returning it and the deposit will be unlawful...
                                26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
                              • Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                                by Shorif908
                                Hi All,

I have recently had new tenants move in.
                                the estate agent did the whole thing and put them in.

The arrangement with rent payments was this. 6 months AST Tennants pay last 3 months rent in advance and then make 3 monthly payments in advance. Ie start of the month....
                                26-10-2021, 08:06 AM
                                by Lesney Park
                                BUT to answer your question, yes the 3 months very much look like an unlawful deposit, being for a non-defined period (the last 3 months of a tenancy). If it is for a specific 3 months, its a bit lesss grey but then I'm wondering what you hope to achieve...
                                26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
                                by Lesney Park
                                Never been shown previously

Are you still using the same letting agents, did they come up with this "payment plan"?...
                                26-10-2021, 08:33 AM
                              Working...
                              X