Rent gaurantee schemes/insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent gaurantee schemes/insurance

Has any landlord ever used the rent gaurantee insurance and can comment on the pro's and cons and what to watch out for? I have a property to let out and was going to use a local agent but did see an online agent who also offered the rent gaurantee insurance all at a competetive price. Anybody any experience of the online agents (i can look after maintenance and do show rounds) or the rent guarantee insurance?

Regards

Rent guarantee, depending on who’s offering it and how it’s being advertised, could be offering you one of two things.

One is an insurance policy which will pay your rent in the event that the tenant doesn’t pay. It doesn’t guarantee rent when the property is empty and there will normally be strict criteria around the tenant’s suitability (income level, credit checks, etc.)

Usually there will be an excess equal to one month’s rent and the remaining rent will be paid in arrears until you get vacant possession (or until the time limit runs out, this can vary but most will probably pay up to 12 months).

So bank on needing to cover at least two month's rent (a smart landlord will always want to keep a reserve of around 6 months anyway).

This type of insurance will often also cover legal costs in the event you need to obtain possession. This can be invaluable if you ever need to rely on it but, as with all insurances, read the small print and make sure you know what you’re covered for and what you have to do to comply with the terms of the policy.

The other type is a deal whereby the agent will become your tenant and guarantee you a certain rent for a certain period. They then sublet the property to a sub-tenant at a higher amount (the going market rate) and pocket the difference.

In the second version you will generally receive a rent from the agent in the region of 60-65% of the market rate and they’ll guarantee that amount regardless of whether the sub-tenant pays and (they’ll say) regardless of whether the property is occupied.

The kicker is that they won’t start the rent guarantee until they find the first sub-tenant. They also usually have clauses in the agreement obliging you to take their lead on repairs and maintenance (so they can ensure the property always stays in great condition and is easy to re-let).

In my opinion this kind of rent guarantee deal is a con. Agents offering this type of thing won’t take on a house they aren’t confident they can let quickly, they’ll only pay you from the time the first sub-tenant moves in and they’ll just take out an insurance policy on their sub-tenant to cover off the risk of them not paying.

The risk to the agent is pretty low and they collect 30% rather than the usual 8-12%.

The first type (insurance policy) is certainly worth looking at depending on how you like to balance risk. The second should be avoided by everyone other than those who like to waste money.

Comment

This is more of an additional question than answering, if you have a tenant, and you conduct the property checks (via a 3rd party to satisfy the insurance policy), then take out a rent insurance, do you need to conduct the checks every year if they renew? or would the rent insurance not require it?

Comment

As with any insurance policy, it depends on the terms. Read the small print.

In my experience, rent insurance policies are not concerned with the state of the property and are unlikely to have clauses insisting you visit your tenants periodically, or at all.

If you’re thinking of taking out a policy on a tenant you already have in situ then make sure you read the paperwork very carefully. The qualifying criteria for the tenant will be of particular importance.

For example, many of Homelet’s policies will state that the tenant must have been reference by Homelet.

Comment

We have just taken out rent guarantee and legal expenses cover after having had a letting agent conduct a tenant-find only service for us.

Not sure whether or not the premium that we are paying is competitive though as it has been a while since we last dealt with residential lets. The policy is for 12 months; has 1 month excess, will pay rent for up to 12 months; insurer battles to get possession; insurer will pay 50% of rent for up to 3 months once possession has been obtained to give us time to refurb if necessary; legal expenses cover up to 50K.

Rent being covered pcm is £700.
          Premium is £282 for the year.

Does this sound about right or is the premium excessive?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Stock Market - Yes or No ?
            by landlord-man
            Yes, they have a demo account where you can play with £75,000 ($100,000)

I did put $10k into one copy on April 4th and its now on a profit of $4,915, so nearly 50% in just under 4 months.

I guess as Im only playing, I should "invest" all the funds and see how they...
            24-07-2021, 13:28 PM
          • Stock Market - Yes or No ?
            by landlord-man
            I will post here but it may get moved - but at least it gets a bit of exposure to begin with lol

I've used a platform called etoro for 2 or 3 years to hold shares in some cruise stocks (don't laugh) - mainly because we do 4 or 5 cruises a year and the shareholder benefits can be quite handy....
            24-07-2021, 09:50 AM
          • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
            by landlord-man
            Has he paid the rent on June 15th and then again on July 15th?

Sounds obvious but have you double checked you have done all the correct paperwork and deposit registration/certificate - triple check it !!

Personally, going forward I would not liaise with the tenant in any way...
            24-07-2021, 13:19 PM
          • Very difficult tenant issues
            by Helvie
            I'm going to keep this short as its a long story. I have a tenant who signed the new tenancy contract on 15th June and then on 27th June I received about 20-25 messages and pictures the evening saying the flat was unliveable due to pests and that he had only moved in the night before. I went round to...
            24-07-2021, 12:46 PM
          • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
            by Hudson01
            Even if you were my opinion would stay the same, i think that given it is a converted house the noise isolation and other issues are not the same as separate purpose built flats, so having one as a rental will have far more of an impact upon the other owners who live there. It really is a one way street...
            24-07-2021, 13:12 PM
          • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
            by witsend55
            Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
            24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
          • Reply to No Fault Eviction
            by jpucng62
            This is not my understanding - perhaps others can clarify. I thought you had to give your usual notice if you were leaving before the end of the LLs notice period....
            24-07-2021, 13:09 PM
          • No Fault Eviction
            by Gdunwell
            Hi All, I have been living in the same house for 7 years and have just been served a form 6A giving 4 months notice to vacate. The owner is returning from overseas and wants to live in the house. Whilst disappointed I get that this is one of the perils of renting but it has raised a few questions. ...
            24-07-2021, 07:54 AM
          • Reply to Stock Market - Yes or No ?
            by doobrey
            Yes, there are some who seem to have fairly consistent positive performance over a period of years. I would be skeptical, though. Could be explained by them having holdings in a few companies (e.g. Amazon) which have done very well over that time(?) I would suspect survivorship bias.

Can...
            24-07-2021, 13:00 PM
          • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
            by Hudson01
            I suspect he is a professional scammer, i do not believe anyone can be such a wimp as to be running scared over a few spiders etc, he may be doing this to simply be paid off to leave the tenancy etc. I would engage a solicitor given he will try all he can to get money out of you, offer to end the tenancy...
            24-07-2021, 12:55 PM
          Working...
          X