Tenancy Check-out Procedure - who can attend?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Tenant who has just vacated my property. They could not attend the check-out inventory due to them being away on holiday. I entered the property myself to do the check-out inspection and found some damage done. I made a report and sent a 'Deductions' form to the tenant. They accepted the majority of damage however have now reverted and are disputing, they want a friend to attend another check-out. Is this possible as their friend is not on the AST agreement?

They have also informed me that they paid someone for cleaning (a full professional end of tenancy clean is a clause in the AST), however they didn't do it. I have said they can only use their cleaner after the checkout anyway and only if they can provide me with a company receipt for my books. Should I accept this?

The tenant (and their friend) have no right of access after the end of the tenancy, so that would be up to you.
    There are no rules about who attends a check out, and you can (as long as the actual tenancy has ended) decide whatever you please.

I am not sure what the point about the cleaner is - once the tenancy is over, you control access to the property, and can allow their cleaner in or not. I am not sure why you are asking if you should accept your own rules?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Pay for an Ind Inventory Clerk to do the move out inspection, based on the the Move In inspection report. You have to provide both to ADR and make allowance for FW&T.

Comment

In the end I decided to let the Tenants friend have a look, fortunately this face to face meeting brought understanding of the work that was required to repair. They informed the tenant all was fair and we have settled on a fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavis808 View Post
          Until the tenancy has ended, whoever the tenant says can
          Once the tenancy has ended, whoever the landlord says can.

I have a Tenant who has just vacated my property. They could not attend the check-out inventory due to them being away on holiday.
          Are you sure the tenancy has ended?
          If so, then why did you not do the checkout on the day they gave you the keys back?

I have said they can only use their cleaner after the checkout anyway
          What a silly (and probably unenforceable) thing to say.

If their cleaner can only come in after you have checked the condition of the property, then
          1. your checkout is certain to find cleanliness issues;
          2. the tenancy is almost certain to have ended by the time the checkout is complete, so tenant has no right of access to allow cleaner in.
          3. you will have to do another check to determine the adequacy of the cleaning.

and only if they can provide me with a company receipt for my books.
          The tenant is paying for it; it is their receipt.

Providing a copy of it to show they have done it may be appropriate (but see next).

You cannot claim the cost of the cleaning as an expense because you have not paid it, so it is not needed for "your books".
          If you claim it as an expense, then that is tax evasion.

a full professional end of tenancy clean is a clause in the AST
          That is probably not enforceable.
          You can require it to be to be to the same level of cleanliness as at the start of the tenancy, but (probably) not specify how that level of cleanliness is to be achieved.
          Unless there are particularly difficult stains, then most tenants are capable of performing an adequate clean (whether they do is a separate issue).

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
            Are you sure the tenancy has ended?
            If so, then why did you not do the checkout on the day they gave you the keys back?
            Thank You for your feedback, I think there are quite a few things you have misunderstood here.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X