Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Validity of Section 21

Hi everyone,

my house nightmare is still going on with several developments (see my previous post for background info if interested). Now i have a new question for you all as you've been super helpful so far.

I had an AST signed in August 2015 (joint tenancy with another person). The other person moved out April 2016 and we signed an addendum (with the LL - everyone happy) saying that i will now be the only person remaining on the tenancy for the rest of the duration and the other person wouldn't be responsible anymore. Do you think this created a new tenancy?

I am asking because i was just served a Section 21 (4)(a) notice and i was wondering whether it is valid (if the addendum created a new tenancy in 2016).

Thank you all

Sorry, i forgot to add, for those of you the read my previous posts, that the unprotected deposit was returned before i was served the S21(4)(a).

Comment

Originally posted by poppyla View Post
      Do you think this created a new tenancy?
      Just you two signing the addendum, no witness, so not executed as a deed?

Probably, as a surrender and re-grant of the tenancy rather than an assignment of the existing one.

I assume you're looking at post-Deregulation Act (Oct 2015) requirements to invalidate the s21 notice? You know you are just delaying the inevitable right? Eventually your landlord will get it right and evict you.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Thank you KTC. Yes, I know, but due to my personal circumstances even an extra month or two would make all the difference.

Comment

Ask him for an extra month, then.

If the 'addendum' did create a new tenancy, then it is likely that it was a 6-month tenancy.

Comment

I can't ask for an extra month because he has a history of harassment and bullying and we're no longer in speaking terms.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
              If the 'addendum' did create a new tenancy, then it is likely that it was a 6-month tenancy.
              Given the addendum, the length will be the "rest of the duration" of the previous tenancy whatever that is.
              I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

the duration is not an issue as this was signed April 2016 with the original ast fixed term ending august 2017 and the addendum saying i would take over the tenancy for it's duration. it's been periodic since Aug 2017.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X