Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Validity of Section 21

Hi everyone,

my house nightmare is still going on with several developments (see my previous post for background info if interested). Now i have a new question for you all as you've been super helpful so far.

I had an AST signed in August 2015 (joint tenancy with another person). The other person moved out April 2016 and we signed an addendum (with the LL - everyone happy) saying that i will now be the only person remaining on the tenancy for the rest of the duration and the other person wouldn't be responsible anymore. Do you think this created a new tenancy?

I am asking because i was just served a Section 21 (4)(a) notice and i was wondering whether it is valid (if the addendum created a new tenancy in 2016).

Thank you all

Sorry, i forgot to add, for those of you the read my previous posts, that the unprotected deposit was returned before i was served the S21(4)(a).

Comment

Originally posted by poppyla View Post
      Do you think this created a new tenancy?
      Just you two signing the addendum, no witness, so not executed as a deed?

Probably, as a surrender and re-grant of the tenancy rather than an assignment of the existing one.

I assume you're looking at post-Deregulation Act (Oct 2015) requirements to invalidate the s21 notice? You know you are just delaying the inevitable right? Eventually your landlord will get it right and evict you.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Thank you KTC. Yes, I know, but due to my personal circumstances even an extra month or two would make all the difference.

Comment

Ask him for an extra month, then.

If the 'addendum' did create a new tenancy, then it is likely that it was a 6-month tenancy.

Comment

I can't ask for an extra month because he has a history of harassment and bullying and we're no longer in speaking terms.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
              If the 'addendum' did create a new tenancy, then it is likely that it was a 6-month tenancy.
              Given the addendum, the length will be the "rest of the duration" of the previous tenancy whatever that is.
              I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

the duration is not an issue as this was signed April 2016 with the original ast fixed term ending august 2017 and the addendum saying i would take over the tenancy for it's duration. it's been periodic since Aug 2017.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Gas Safety & Energy Certificates
                  Julie1606
                  I have six properties with tenants, all which predate 1.4.2015 and all of which are now periodic tenancies and I have therefore not issued any of them with either certificate. How do I go about complying with the changes due on 1.10.18 with regard to this.Do I need to renew all my tenancies and give...
                  21-09-2018, 19:14 PM
                • Reply to Gas Safety & Energy Certificates
                  mariner
                  Join NLA/RLA and take their free Distance Learning Modules for LLs.
                  21-09-2018, 22:40 PM
                • Tenant with a refuse issue now refusing to give my surveyor access to the property
                  mit141284
                  Wondering what would be the next steps to take here. My flats mortgage deal is running out next week and I have scrambled to get a new fixed year deal. I have had to change lender and this has involved the usual, paperwork, legal process and surveyors.

A tenant that has been placed into...
                  21-09-2018, 13:02 PM
                • Reply to Tenant with a refuse issue now refusing to give my surveyor access to the property
                  HantsAgent
                  The tenant isn’t refusing, just not responding. Don’t worry about a problem until it occurs.

Turn up with your surveyor on the day you’ve specified and if she’s not there go in and carry out your business.

The worst that will happen will be that she’s in and refuses...
                  21-09-2018, 22:30 PM
                  Julie1606
                  Many thanks for responses. My partner was previously dealing with all our properties but has now had to return to work full time so I’m taking over. I just want to do everything correctly now that I’m in charge. Therefore I’m assuming that I should issue certificates ASAP in order to make sure...
                  21-09-2018, 22:26 PM
                • Open loft
                  Dundas
                  I live in a row of 12 terrace houses ( no 11) all lofts are open and rats run freely through them. As I rent the property is the landlord responsible for closing my loft with deviding walls....
                  17-09-2018, 10:19 AM
                • Reply to Open loft
                  KeepTheFaith
                  My end terrace loft had a dividing wall separating from the house next door but it had some big gaps at the sides so rats used to scuttle around in my attic too. The council EHO said the gaps meant there wasn't fire separation between the 2 buildings and accordingly it came under the Housing Health...
                  21-09-2018, 21:51 PM
                  MdeB
                  Assuming there is gas at the property:

If you did not provide a gas safety certificate BEFORE the tenant occupied the property, then DO NOT create a new tenancy with the same tenant at the same property.

For tenancies granted before 1 October 2015 the provision of GSC, EPC...
                  21-09-2018, 21:43 PM
                  boletus
                  A Cp12 is usually signed by the tenant (at the bottom, second box from the left IIRC).
                  Even if not, the word of a reputable gas safe registered engineer would be more than enough to defend against some weirdo stalker claiming a bizarre charge of criminal offence, imprisonable, unlimited fine........
                  21-09-2018, 20:40 PM
                  KTC
                  That is a good point. They are not merely requirements because of section 21. They're required in their own rights. While no effect on section 21 for non-compliance for old tenancies, by itself for the EPC a fine, for the GSC criminal offence, imprisonable, unlimited fine........
                  21-09-2018, 20:22 PM
                Working...
                X