When do gas certificates have be done by exactly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do gas certificates have be done by exactly?

Some councils, like the Enfield council, state that they want CP12/gas certs done a week before they're due.

Is this all across the country or does it just vary from council to council?

No idea but they're required annually so no biggy really.

Comment

36.—(2) Every landlord shall ensure that there is maintained in a safe condition—

....(a) any relevant gas fitting; and

....(b) any flue which serves any relevant gas fitting,

so as to prevent the risk of injury to any person in lawful occupation or relevant premises.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (2) above, a landlord shall—

....(a)ensure that each appliance and flue to which that duty extends is checked for safety within 12 months of being installed and at intervals of not more than 12 months since it was last checked for safety (whether such check was made pursuant to these Regulations or not; and see regulation 36A);

....(b)in the case of a lease commencing after the coming into force of these Regulations, ensure that each appliance and flue to which the duty extends has been checked for safety within a period of 12 months before the lease commences or has been or is so checked within 12 months after the appliance or flue has been installed, whichever is later (and see regulation 36A); and

36A.—(1) Where a safety check of an appliance or a flue made in accordance with regulation 36(3)(a) or (b) is or was completed within the period of 2 months ending with the deadline date, that check is to be treated for the purposes of regulation 36(3)(a) and (b) as having been made on the deadline date.

(2) Subject to paragraph (3), the landlord may ensure that an appliance or flue is checked for safety within the 2 month period beginning with the deadline date, instead of checking it within the 12 month period ending with that date.

(3) The discretion conferred by paragraph (2) may be exercised—

....(a) only once in relation to each appliance or flue in the relevant premises; and

....(b) only in order to align the deadline date in relation to the next safety check of that appliance or flue with the deadline date in relation to the next safety check of any other appliance or flue in the same relevant premises.

(4) In this regulation “the deadline date”, in relation to a safety check for an appliance or flue, means the last day of the 12 month period within which the check is or was required to be made under regulation 36(3)(a) or (b).”.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

According to Gas Safe (when I enquired a year or so ago) it is "on or before the anniversary of the previous certificate".

However, now that certificates can be issued up to 2 months before the end date of the previous certificate and have an expiry date of 12 months after the end date of the previous certificate, it is no big deal (no time is now lost by having certificate issued early).

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/me...quirements.pdf

Comment

There’s no real answer to the topic title question. You have to have continuous coverage and certificates expire after a year. Recent law changes mean that you can carry out a safety check up to 2 months in advance and have the next cert post dated to when the current one expires. That’s a very welcome change for us LLs.

We had an issue where the agent went to do the check and the T was on holiday and unreachable. The cert expired while they were away as we could not gain access. The agent now knows to do GSCs a month in advance to allow for this kind of situation in future

it may be that the council is trying to deal with issues like this by stipulating GSCs to be done in advance.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to How to advertise?
            by landlord-man
            openrent - very cheap to get on Rightmove - and dont need to use them for anything else (though referencing is cheap and effective too)...
            23-01-2021, 13:03 PM
          • How to advertise?
            by bethy
            We have a student house and flat and have only ever advertised them via the university's accommodation service. It's low cost, has no fees to students and to be accepted the property has to be a decent standard. I've just gone online to renew the advert for next year and got a message saying the service...
            21-01-2021, 15:42 PM
          • Reply to demand for 4 bed houses
            by sm1 landlord
            the demand where we operate is huge, we will have over 100 applicants within a week for a 3 bed house, the properties are of a high standard, tenants all levels of income and nationalities, surplus of flats but no houses being built

4 beds not many in our area for rent, they are in the...
            23-01-2021, 12:52 PM
          • demand for 4 bed houses
            by sm1 landlord
            question - our portfolio of houses are 2 and 3 bed

we are buying a fire damaged 3 bed house in a good area which lends it itself to doing a loft conversion due to the fire damage

how do others find demand for a 4 bed house, we do let to u/c claimants with guarantors and a family...
            23-01-2021, 10:52 AM
            by sm1 landlord
            we will consider u/c tenants and the last 3 houses have gone to tenants on u/c (purely a coincidence, they were strong applicants with good guarantors and advance payments) but the LB of Sutton are incompetent and not professional in their dealings, icebergs move faster,...
            23-01-2021, 12:46 PM
          • Reply to Washing machine meter legality
            by landlord-man
            I have a washer and a dryer with a coin meter for each - shared by 4 studio flats.

I purposely went for a basic washing machine which gave a dial for a 30 min or a 60 min wash (other options are available but involve messing with buttons).

I then set the machine at £1 for...
            23-01-2021, 12:39 PM
          • Washing machine meter legality
            by Dreamingofsea
            i have a small hmo non licensable due to locality. It had a meter on the washing machine when I bought it but I disconnected it. I m finding that 1 tenant is doing 2 - 3 washes every day and so obviously is taking advantage of it and also hogging it. I stated in their tenancy agreements fair...
            20-01-2021, 21:16 PM
            by jpkeates
            In which case, I'd be wary.

If you have a family in a house with a "spare" room, there's always the risk that they'll take in a lodger to offset the cost of living and thereby create an HMO without your knowledge.

Otherwise you are limiting your market to people on...
            23-01-2021, 12:38 PM
            by Interlaken
            There are plenty on the housing list who would appreciate a 4 bed to rent. I'm sure your local council is bound to be interested if you were to take tenants from them. As long as you kept the rent 'reasonable' and within social rent payments should be easy to let.
            23-01-2021, 12:38 PM
            by sm1 landlord
            [QUOTE=jpkeates;n1139999]Many residential landlords would avoid 3 bedroom housing because of the risk of it becoming an HMO.
            But this seems to be your actual target market, so presumably you are considering this.

our market has always been families, some tenants have been with...
            23-01-2021, 12:32 PM
          Working...
          X