Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More leftie policies from the Conservatives

Anyone seen today's little gem?
    A minimum three-year contract would allow people to put down more roots in their area, ministers say.

Well, you can always pick Labour who proposed to scarp section 21 instead.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post
      Well, you can always pick Labour who proposed to scarp section 21 instead.
      That's Hobson's choice, isn't it? Surely it amounts to much the same thing?

Comment

I was just trying to find the finer details JKO, and the stats that the proposal is based on (e.g. what percentage of Ts are asked to leave before they want to and what are the reasons for this (arrears? repossession by BTL mtg provider? death of landlord?).

Comment

I suspect it comes from very Conservative values, i.e. that residents, not the state should be responsible for the well-being of the neighbourhood, and that having a stake in the neighbourhood makes them more likely to do that. Without an actual financial stake, and with only three years, I don't think it will be effective.

Comment

I don't think having a 3 year tenancy will make any difference at all to the well-being of a neighbourhood either. Does a 3 year tenancy mean that a landlord can't evict a bad tenant for 3 years? Or will S21 still be the same?

Comment

I think neighbourhoods will be worse off with 3 year tenancies. At least at the moment you might prevail upon a landlord to kick a delinquent out after 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                That's Hobson's choice, isn't it? Surely it amounts to much the same thing?
                I can see your point, but no, since a landlord would be able to evict for no reason after 3 years, whereas without s21 completely, that wouldn't even be possible.

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                Does a 3 year tenancy mean that a landlord can't evict a bad tenant for 3 years? Or will S21 still be the same?
                No suggestion of getting rid of section 8, or section 21 for that matter, just a minimum fixed term of 3 years. But as ever, the devil's in the details. It's only an press report of a upcoming consultations stage.
                I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

I agree with Berlingogirl and JKO. Just imagine a difficult tenant in possession for 3 years - it will wreck some of the neighbourhoods that are just recovering under operation Galaxy in my area.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

What I mean is, are there going to be any changes to S21 e.g can't be issues before two months before the end of the 3 year term? If there's no change to S21 is there any point is 3 years tenancies except to get the popular vote from people who don't realise they've been given nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
                      I agree with Berlingogirl and JKO. Just imagine a difficult tenant in possession for 3 years - it will wreck some of the neighbourhoods that are just recovering under operation Galaxy in my area.
                      Where are the Galaxy rejects going?

Comment

Where are the Galaxy rejects going?
                        There are plenty of other galaxies. Just the delinquents would likely die before the spaceship got there.

Comment

What I mean is, are there going to be any changes to S21 e.g can't be issues before two months before the end of the 3 year term? If there's no change to S21 is there any point is 3 years tenancies except to get the popular vote from people who don't realise they've been given nothing?
                          I don't understand your point. Whether s21 can be given before 2 months before the end of 3 years make no difference. An order for possession cannot take effect before the end of the fixed term.

Comment

A 3 year tenancy would mean some people who only just scrape through getting a tenancy would be rejected, or at least they would by me.

Comment

[QUOTE=KTC;n1034692]

I don't understand your point. Whether s21 can be given before 2 months before the end of 3 years make no difference. An order for possession cannot take effect before the end of the fixed term.[

Oh yes of course. I'm going daft - the sun's fried my brain.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X