Council investigating complaint by tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council investigating complaint by tenant

Hi, I've just had a call from the council stating that the tenant is complaining about a water leak and electrical issues.

Background info: I served the tenant S21 at the end of May 2018, their tenancy is due to expire at the end of Aug 2018, I performed an half year inspection on the 23rd June, and sent the tenant the report on the 26th June, on that same day the tenant then raised a complaint to the council stating water leak and electrical issues, they never mentioned anything during the inspection, and no water issues were visible when I did the inspection, I believe the tenant is trying to stay longer (for whatever reasons, they have) in the property,

1. If the tenant caused the issues (water leak, pulled a wire out of a socket) what can I do about it, as it would hard to prove the case, as well as costly getting a qualified plumber and electrician to testify to the root cause.

2. If for any reason it was not caused by the tenant, and just happened to be a bizarre fate of events, I will of course fix the issue, but shouldn't the tenant first approach me and give me the opportunity to fix it without the council being the first port of call. (b) would this then effect my S21 notice, would the court throw this out because the council has now made an order to fix the issues?, would I need to serve another 2 months notice on the tenants after the works have been completed?

How should I mitigate my liability so that I have the best possible case with the court. Any suggestions on what to do?

Yeah, obviously a ruse to stay on.

In view of council involvement, I think you now have no choice but to send tradesmen over. When you get any faults resolved, write back to the council confirming that, and hopefully you should have no problem with your possession order.

Comment

Thanks, but would I have to serve the S21 again or is it still valid, for example if the works only take a 1-2weeks to rectify, I still have under 2 months left until the tenant is due to leave?

Comment

I don't think it's a problem. The fault has to be complained about in writing before the s21 is sent for it to be invalid.

Comment

S21 is still valid; no need to re-serve.

Comment

Overall a good example of how laws make it advantageous for people (tenants in this case) to become criminals.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X