Check in the same day as the tenancy starts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    The inventory is part of the contract and should be agreed before the contract is signed. See comments in these threads:

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...s-of-condition

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/forum/residential-letting-questions/77525-inaccurate-inventory-a-week-after-check-in

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/forum/residential-letting-questions/49685-signing-inventory

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/forum/residential-letting-questions/70984-timing-of-contract-signature-and-inventory

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    So, the contract is starting 2 days before they move in? When will the tenant get the chance to view and discuss any inventory queries?

Nothing to do with your query but please remember that the tenant has a right to access during those 2 days and also that the tenancy is unlikely to be an AST until they move in.

Leave a comment:

• kesm
    replied
    Thanks guys.
    Well I have an inventory clerk that will prepare the inventory.
    He said that they will prepare it at the time the contract starts and I can give the tenant the keys on the day they move in i.e. 2 days later.

IS that ok? I don;t see any issues but wanted your view as well.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    If they are not getting keys until the check-in is done, then no problem imo.
    BUT the inventory should be prepared prior to check-in, and does not need tenant prsent.

Leave a comment:

• sam_cat
    replied
    Assuming you mean condition report and inventory... Prepare it in advance, including a sheet for noting meter readings. Take 2 copies with you on the day, quick buzz around detailing anything you disagree on and taking meter readings (and a photo of them for good measure, datestamped). Takes about 30mins-1hr depending on how accurate your pre-prepared version is.

After that we both sign and date both copies.

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    What do you mean by "check-in"?

Leave a comment:

• Hillsy101
    replied
    It's always been the day the tenant moves in for me. Any damage they do in the interim would be attributed to the condition as they moved in rather than damage they have caused (if that makes sense?!). Also, you as LL have to ensure all the smoke detectors are functional as soon as the tenancy starts, this is usually a part of check in.

Leave a comment:

• kesm
    started a topic Check in the same day as the tenancy starts?

Check in the same day as the tenancy starts?

Hi all

My tenant wants to have the check in a day after his contract starts. Is that possible? I would think not cause at the day where the contract starts the electricity measurements have to be taken right?
    Can the check in clerk do the inventory without the tenant ?

Many thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?
    by Sydaton
    I'm not saying that it's correct for the agent to add VAT (because it's a disbursement not a supply) but if they were adding 20% to the net price they wouldn't be losing any money.

The sums would be
    purchase £100 + 5% VAT = £105
    sale £100 + 20% VAT = £120

Agent...
    25-01-2022, 13:59 PM
  • VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?
    by Affinite
    My agent collects rent from my student tenants along with a monthly utilities charge.as part of their "Bills Inclusive" package
    In the past, the utilities charge to my tenants has always included VAT at 5% (as per normal domestic bills) however the agent has now told me that his accountant...
    25-01-2022, 11:13 AM
  • Reply to Water Damage
    by Hooper
    As a word of warning - it took my insurers two months to arrange a first inspection by their loss adjuster and five months to agree to lift floor coverings to inspect beneath after water ingress in a rental.

As frustrating as it is for you, I don't think that your tenants complaining about...
    25-01-2022, 13:45 PM
  • Water Damage
    by Cheetah
    I have three 20-somethings in an ex-council flat in a block of six. A week ago they reported that the carpet and the furniture legs in the small bedroom had been damaged by water ingress. The tenant in that room had to move into the lounge. The council have accepted responsibility for the damage as...
    25-01-2022, 08:34 AM
  • Reply to Water Damage
    by jpkeates
    Tell the council that you can't do what they ask and move on....
    25-01-2022, 13:05 PM
  • Reply to What to do at the end of an AST period?
    by jpkeates
    This is a common thread.

OP - What should I do at the end of the fixed term, let it go periodic or a new fixed term?
    Experienced forum member 1 - let it go periodic. Here's why...
    Experienced forum member 2 - let it go periodic. Here's why...
    Experienced forum member 3...
    25-01-2022, 12:52 PM
  • What to do at the end of an AST period?
    by jtufty
    Hi,

I rent a property. The initial 6 months of the AST ends in Jan 2022. The tenant is very nice and she asked yesterday if she can stay on for another 6 months.

Is it a simple case of just giving her another AST contract to sign? Im sure it is, but wondered if theres anything...
    28-12-2021, 08:35 AM
  • Reply to Water Damage
    by DPT57
    I think I'd be on the phone every day to the Council insurers demanding an immediate inspection....
    25-01-2022, 12:47 PM
  • Reply to VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?
    by jpkeates
    That's not correct, and I think the agent has either misunderstood or the accountant has been misinformed about what the agent is doing.

And it's going to be costly to the agent.
    Output VAT is payable to the state, because it a tax.
    As the agent isn't actually adding any value...
    25-01-2022, 12:46 PM
  • Reply to What to do at the end of an AST period?
    by DPT57
    I'm afraid that assurance is a delusion. In practice it only binds the landlord. If the tenant decides to leave early it would be a very foolish landlord that tried to prevent them when they have control of your very expensive asset.

Its up to you to set the terms of the tenancy and if...
    25-01-2022, 12:44 PM
Working...
X