Good tennents ,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good tennents ,

Hi you cleaver people , Ive had a request from one of my tenants today asking if her boy friend could move in . There a couple of 30 something ladies who to be honest in the year they have been then they have been very good tenants and no problems at all . So she has said he can give references and both Ladies get on with this fella very well so I don't see a problem with him moving in ? Question ? they pay on time and the rent is quite highish for the area but it is a beautiful 2 bed flat and they are very happy , So do I be greedy and ask the boyfriend to pay something or just say yeas as they are great tenants and I wouldn't want to lose them , Sorry would just like to hear your thoughts , As always thank you for your time and any answers , im not greedy just would like your thought , repect ,

I would not have the bf pay anything. If tenants beat you down on your asking price when you originally let, I would ask for the asking price again, in return for your consent.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

JKO ,Thanks for the reply , they haven't asked for a rent reduction at all , I need to reply to them soon and just thought what would other Landlords do ? im happy with them , like I say they keep the place very clean so will proberly say yes to the boy friend ? Thanks again ,

Comment

3 people in 2 households = HMO.

You will need to comply with HMO rules and any local licencing requirements.

Comment

Columbo: Asking extra for bf is at your discretion which you are entitled to as extra body has to be counted for now, but agree with mdeb do your due diligence on bf ie check that you would on new tenant which he will become, and HMO rules. Make sure bf will go on AST additionally to the previous two. If you need to apply for a licence and any extra work that might be needed to be done to comply with it will incur cost. So I will think twice before accepting bf without any extra charges.

Comment

By all means, ref the boyfriend at his expense, but do not add him to AST.
            I would suggest informing your Ts you will consider their request by end of year, but have no objection to b/f 'staying over' up to 4 days in a 7 day period until then.
            MdeB, the accepted HMO rules are in some disarray.
            Many Judges now accept co-habiting, but unmarried couple as 1 family un ait.
            A single-sex couple no longer have to be 'married'.
            HMG allows a LL to claim for Rent a Room allowance to a certain cash amount.

We need clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
              MdeB, the accepted HMO rules are in some disarray.
              Many Judges now accept co-habiting, but unmarried couple as 1 family un ait.
              Rules may be in disarray, but three people in two households is an HMO.

A couple (lady and boyfriend) and her lady friend are not one household unless they can show that they are.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post

A couple (lady and boyfriend) and her lady friend are not one household unless they can show that they are.
                Could o/p claim it's a ménage à trois?
                To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                  Could o/p claim it's a ménage à trois?
                  They could.

Hard to disprove as well.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What does the tenancy agreement say about subletting and sharing. Please quote the relevant clause(s) exactly.

Comment

Given the recent Court of Appeal decision even a heterosexual couple can be classed as a single family unit once they undertake a Civil Partnership.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X