Landlord unable to fix repairs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord unable to fix repairs

Hello, Can any one explain what rights a landlord will have if they have advised tenant they can no longer maintain the property and they need to move out?

You need to explain more.

Such a statement gives you no rights and can be used in evidence against you to prove that you are failing to deal with disrepair.

You won't manage a section 8, and, if the tenant convinces the council that the things that need repairing are seriously impacting their health or safety, you won't be able to do a section 21.

If you are really unable to repair, you should think in terms of buying the tenant off.

Comment

It's section 8, ground 6, surely?

Comment

I'm sorry but I can't understand your post. Could you please try again? Are you the landlord or the tenant? What needs to be repaired?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Gas Safety & Energy Certificates
          Julie1606
          I have six properties with tenants, all which predate 1.4.2015 and all of which are now periodic tenancies and I have therefore not issued any of them with either certificate. How do I go about complying with the changes due on 1.10.18 with regard to this.Do I need to renew all my tenancies and give...
          21-09-2018, 19:14 PM
        • Reply to Gas Safety & Energy Certificates
          mariner
          Join NLA/RLA and take their free Distance Learning Modules for LLs.
          21-09-2018, 22:40 PM
        • Tenant with a refuse issue now refusing to give my surveyor access to the property
          mit141284
          Wondering what would be the next steps to take here. My flats mortgage deal is running out next week and I have scrambled to get a new fixed year deal. I have had to change lender and this has involved the usual, paperwork, legal process and surveyors.

A tenant that has been placed into...
          21-09-2018, 13:02 PM
        • Reply to Tenant with a refuse issue now refusing to give my surveyor access to the property
          HantsAgent
          The tenant isn’t refusing, just not responding. Don’t worry about a problem until it occurs.

Turn up with your surveyor on the day you’ve specified and if she’s not there go in and carry out your business.

The worst that will happen will be that she’s in and refuses...
          21-09-2018, 22:30 PM
          Julie1606
          Many thanks for responses. My partner was previously dealing with all our properties but has now had to return to work full time so I’m taking over. I just want to do everything correctly now that I’m in charge. Therefore I’m assuming that I should issue certificates ASAP in order to make sure...
          21-09-2018, 22:26 PM
        • Open loft
          Dundas
          I live in a row of 12 terrace houses ( no 11) all lofts are open and rats run freely through them. As I rent the property is the landlord responsible for closing my loft with deviding walls....
          17-09-2018, 10:19 AM
        • Reply to Open loft
          KeepTheFaith
          My end terrace loft had a dividing wall separating from the house next door but it had some big gaps at the sides so rats used to scuttle around in my attic too. The council EHO said the gaps meant there wasn't fire separation between the 2 buildings and accordingly it came under the Housing Health...
          21-09-2018, 21:51 PM
          MdeB
          Assuming there is gas at the property:

If you did not provide a gas safety certificate BEFORE the tenant occupied the property, then DO NOT create a new tenancy with the same tenant at the same property.

For tenancies granted before 1 October 2015 the provision of GSC, EPC...
          21-09-2018, 21:43 PM
          boletus
          A Cp12 is usually signed by the tenant (at the bottom, second box from the left IIRC).
          Even if not, the word of a reputable gas safe registered engineer would be more than enough to defend against some weirdo stalker claiming a bizarre charge of criminal offence, imprisonable, unlimited fine........
          21-09-2018, 20:40 PM
          KTC
          That is a good point. They are not merely requirements because of section 21. They're required in their own rights. While no effect on section 21 for non-compliance for old tenancies, by itself for the EPC a fine, for the GSC criminal offence, imprisonable, unlimited fine........
          21-09-2018, 20:22 PM
        Working...
        X