Legal fees for eviction of tenant under section 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal fees for eviction of tenant under section 8

So I've decided to pursue a section 8 eviction notice as my tenant is in 3 months rent arrears and keeps spinning me lies. I have already served a section 8 notice and am now going to apply for a court date to secure a formal eviction notice.

does anyone know what the typical legal fees will be for a solicitor to represent me?

I have been quoted £500 (inc VAT) for a local solicitor to do everything for me (including attending court) and an additional £325 court issue fees. Is this standard?

has anyone else been in this situation and what were the fees you were charged?

thanks in advance!

You should arrange an inspection before serving notice if you can and take lots of photos of the condition and ask the tenant in writing whether everything is working as it should. Tenants are usually advised to claim disrepair in defence of s8.

Comment

How long is a piece of string?
      The legal costs will be very different in different parts of the country.

As above, though, the main issue is likely to be a defence of disrepair.
      Before serving notice, inspect the condition of the property and seek confirmation that there are no issues from the tenant.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You can add the fees to the claim in any event so concentrate on the above advice. You can also do it yourself via PCOL but much simpler to use a pro

Comment

Be very clear what this proposed fixed fee agreement covers. For example, would be court appearance cover part of the agreement only cover the standard 10 minutes hearing, or also any extra longer hearing if the tenant defend and counterclaim?
          I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone, I'll definitely make sure I have a condition report in writing from the tenant.

ive just had this response from my solicitor regarding what the fee covers:

The £500.00 fixed fee covers representation at one hearing only (regardless of whether the tenant attends or not). If the Court adjourned the hearing and requested a second attendance, there would be additional costs incurred. I’ve not come across a second hearing for eviction being required before.

Comment

The property is in Liverpool

Comment

Give min 24 hr Notice of Intended Inspection and do it yourself ( your Agent).
                T cites disrepair and Judge can postpone hearing for Assessment. Much better if T has confirmed to you there are no outstanding repair issues at time of visit.
                You can serve s8 at end of visit.

Comment

I've just found an email from the tenant from a few weeks back, seems as though there is some work to complete first, does anyone think this would be enough for the judge to reject?

on a side note about the property you may want to get the front and back doors looked at they are both very stiff and have been since i moved in also the master bedroom door and the small bedroom door were loose when i moved in the master bedroom came off its hinges in the end no damage to the door or wall just basic wear and tear i think. You were aware the oven door was hanging on by a thread well it still is. And the damp in the dinning room is still really bad even in this nice weather its very visable.

Just wanted to clear that up with you before i leave.

Comment

Do everything you can or it will get put in front of the judge. You have to show you're taking all complaints seriously and attemptng to rectify

Comment

Thanks

would all works need to be complete before a court date takes place? I'm just worried that the damp may take some time to dry out. Surely if the work has stated the courts will be ok with this?

Comment

You need to address the issue raised if its a serious defect (such as damp). It wouldn't have be fully dried out but if you can prove (eg by invoice for works from builder) that you have made every effort to fix the problem in a timely manner then you should be fine.

Comment

Sounds like a disrepair defence and counterclaim.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X