Liability if there's an accident ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liability if there's an accident ?

Our Tenants have asked if they can put a decking at the end of the garden, and because the bloke is a groundworker for a local council, and will do a decent job, we decided to tell them that was fine, go ahead.
    But now we think about it, decking is sometimes slippy, and someone might fall.
    So would we be liable if the tenants or a visitor slipped on the decking and injured themselves.
    They intend to treat the wood with anti-slip stain.
    I would probably take it up when they leave.

It would be a bit of a cheek for them to sue you for slipping on decking that they had installed.

However, I think you are probably wise to remove it when they leave.

Comment

They could also slip on a wet floor inside the house, trip over a shoe, hit their head on a wall unplugging something... That said, I hate decking so definitely tear it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Hillsy101 View Post
        They could also slip on a wet floor inside the house, trip over a shoe, hit their head on a wall unplugging something...
        This.

They could fall down the stairs. Is that your fault for having stairs?!

Comment

I spoke to the direct line free legal helpline, and they suggested that as It's not provided by me, the current tenant is responsible for it's condition and any issues should the condition cause an accident (like a nail sticking up).
          They said that once the tenant leaves I can either ask them to remove it, or remove it myself or leave it for the next tenant, but then I'd be liable if it's condition were the cause of an accident, so I'd need to periodically inspect it and ensure it were safe.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X