Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPS-anything else I can do?

Good morning.
    My tenants served me with notice that they were moving out and they have gone.
    After an inspection I agreed to refund their deposit in full.
    Deposit was protected within time limit, and prescribed information served. DPS holds deposit.
    I have instructed DPS to return the Deposit-one the day following the end of the Tenancy.
    Unknown to me lead tenant had changed their email address and cannot access the original address. DPS, who take on average about 12 mins to answer the phone, say that lead tenant needs to contact them to confirm new email address. Tenant has given me the new address but DPS cannot accept this information from me.
    So far Tenant has not contacted DPS.
    Is there anything else that I can do? I do not want to get into trouble for failing to return the deposit in time.

I don't think it's your problem. If tenant is too idle to contact them, it's not your fault.

Comment

I'm not sure what trouble you could get into.

The only way to get the deposit back yourself from the DPS to return it to the tenant if they won't do anything themselves is to wait three months and complete a single claim request (which is a pain in the bum).
      So you don't really have any choice.

Serves the tenant right for using what must have been a work email address for their private business.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Not your problem.
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

As above, not your problem. T can pick up the phone to the DPS, go through security and them amend their email.

Me being me, I would make sure your communication to them (the Tenant/ex tenant) is in writing (email/post) and save it along with proof of postage/replies showing it was read and save your communication with DPS just in case anyone questions it in the future.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X