False advertisement on room, what can be done?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

False advertisement on room, what can be done?

I've recently moved into a new house share and on the advertisement it said that the internet was fibre, and I've now realised it really isn't. One of the main reasons I rented the place was because of this fact as I needed fast internet for work etc, and the highest speed I've been able to get is 10mbps, and most of the time it sits are 2-4mbps, which doesn't allow me to do anything sometimes as the connection constantly drops off and is unreliable.
    So I'm wondering, since the advert clearly stated fibre internet, and there is none, what can I do about it? I'm thinking surely this is false advertisement or misleading in some way as it was one of the big sell points to me. I'm stuck in a 3 month minimum contract and been here 2 weeks but this is making it unbearable. I've contacted the landlord about it and he's told me there must be something wrong with my devices as he got 30mbps last time he checked, which is a lie as this internet goes to 24mbps maximum, and I've stood right next to the router and used a different device and still got the same result, and used a wired connection to test, and got 15mbps. I've been asking him and he's been replying with stuff like, you don't need to keep texting me about it, which I do because I feel like he isn't bothered.
    I've rented directly from the landlord with no agency so I can't call them to get it sorted and he is my only contact. I've decided to give it till Monday to see if anything is being done but this is already hindering my ability to do work etc, and it's going on far too long, so on Monday if nothing is done I'm planning to go to my local citizens advice and see what they say, but I just wondered if anybody on here would have any knowledge of this sort of thing.

Thanks for replies in advanced.

Update: spoke to a lawyer friend who told me about Property Misdescriptions Act which covers this sort of thing.

Comment

Tell the landlord and ask to end your agreement. You've got to start with some interaction with the landlord or agent.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Frankly I'm with the landlord. Mine only goes up to 8MBPS

Comment

Originally posted by JordanC92 View Post
          Update: spoke to a lawyer friend who told me about Property Misdescriptions Act which covers this sort of thing.
          Not a very good lawyer, then, as the Act was repealed in 2013.

Comment

We have fibre optic broadband and are in dispute with our ISP at the moment as we only get around 9 Mbps. You can't tell solely from the current speed whether it is fibre optic or not. You may have no case if the landlord can prove that it is. I think you should take a different approach and start negotiating for the landlord to get the problem fixed.

Comment

Well fibre starts at 36mbps and I know it isn't fibre as I can see there is no modem plugged into the router and the router is way too old to have one built in, and the lawyer is from Canada so doesn't know much on UK law but I did read that the law was absorbed under consumer protection for unfair trading regulations, I will just seek advice from trading standards.

Comment

Who is your BB provider?
                What speeds do they quote for your installation?
                When was it installed?
                House to street cabinet need only to be copper wire with fibre optic from cabinet to exchange.
                Many rural Communities would welcome even a min BB connection.
                I do not provide Internet nor tel land line to my properties and any T installation would require my prior written consent, even if T was paying.
                If you need hi speed fibre-optic BB for work, charge it as a nec business expense.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                  Frankly I'm with the landlord. Mine only goes up to 8MBPS
                  !!! Ouch!
                  Small rural town, we get 250mb down, 25mb up on fibre!

Comment

Originally posted by JordanC92 View Post
                    Well fibre starts at 36mbps and I know it isn't fibre as I can see there is no modem plugged into the router and the router is way too old to have one built in, and the lawyer is from Canada
                    36mbps is only a theoretical speed, it depends on how far you are from the cabinet. My fibre router is currently synched at 15.5mbps.
                    You could check the exact model of the router to be sure, and check with BT to see if fibre is available locally.

Having said that, it seems you are getting the sort of speed somebody might get on fibre anyway, and most of the speed loss is for other reasons, so it is questionable as to exactly how misleading the description really is.
                    Perhaps mobile internet would suit you better?

Comment

If you can prove that it isnt fibre optic and that it was advertised ad such, you will have some come-back under consumer protection legislation, maybe even to unwind the tenancy. Consult with a proper solicitor who understands the Act.

Comment

Haven't we seen this before? (A few times).

"I need fast broadband to run an internet business from my (Residential) flat."

For the moment ignoring the question of running of business from a rented domestic property, the TA terms of which may exclude such business use.

Is this a college/online course question?

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                          If you can prove that it isnt fibre optic and that it was advertised ad such, you will have some come-back under consumer protection legislation, maybe even to unwind the tenancy. Consult with a proper solicitor who understands the Act.
                          Or invest in a 4G mobile data dongle. Then move on or before expiry of the tenancy. Solves the problem and saves you a lot of time.
                          There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

It seems to me that the tenant here falsely represented the nature of their intended tenancy, which appears to be mixed use, rather than residential.

Comment

I see no evidence of that.
                              Lots of people do work etc. from home at times, that doesn't mean they are running a business.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X