X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooper
    started a topic Corporate lets and right to rent

Corporate lets and right to rent

Is it the company's responsibility to check right to rent of anyone who stays?
    Is it necessary to put that obligation in the contract?
    Am I allowed to let to a foreign company (US in this case) ?

• jpkeates
    replied
    I wouldn't let to a non-UK company, full stop.
    Corporate lets are complicated enough.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Pretty sure you can rent to who you like and as you'd not be landlord of the humans wouldn't be responsible.

But in your shoes I'd have a conversation with home office on the subject & record it just-in-case.
    https://www.gov.uk/check-tenant-righ...s/how-to-check
    Get help with a check

Call the landlord’s helpline to get help with a check.
    Landlord’s helpline
    0300 069 9799
    Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4:45pm
    Friday, 9am to 4:30pm
    https://www.recordyourcall.co.uk/

I would put obligation into contract, albeit don't think it's necessary.

And if & when this US company decline to pay rent or cause damage, who or what will you sue where & how eventually collect, assuming you get judgment in your favour?

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• How best to handle a "pet" issue?
    milleniumaire
    Our tenants have been in our rental for nearly 4 years without issue. The original fixed term tenancy agreement gave way to a periodic tenancy. The tenants have been good, if rather untidy!

Over the weekend while performing some maintenance while the tenants were away on holiday for a...
    16-07-2019, 10:04 AM
  • Reply to How best to handle a "pet" issue?
    jpkeates
    I have kept rabbits and they are probably one of the more property damaging pets you can keep.
    The urine is a particularly nasty ammonia smell.

The tenants will claim that they live outside and are only allowed in occasionally, but indoor rabbits are indoor rabbits.
    I'd suggest...
    16-07-2019, 12:13 PM
  • Council tax debacle.
    buttons
    I had a tenant do a runner on the 10th May, I only learned of this on 11th June when no housing benefit was paid to me as it was direct payment.
    I received the keys from the tenants daughter on the 15th June, she signed a letter stating tenancy was surrendered and keys returned.
    I wrote...
    16-07-2019, 12:05 PM
  • Reply to Council tax debacle.
    KTC
    Were the tenancy within a fixed term, contractual periodic, or statutory periodic? If periodic, what's the period of the tenancy (e.g. monthly, quarterly, half-yearly)? If contractual periodic, was there an initial fixed term and if so what was its length?
    16-07-2019, 12:10 PM
  • Part of deposit not protected
    coppernob
    Hi all,

Last December we entered into an AST (initial 6 month fixed term) and paid a deposit of £900, which included a £200 pet deposit for our dog. This full £900 was put into the a deposit protection scheme.

Towards the end of January we wished to get another dog, and...
    16-07-2019, 10:26 AM
  • Reply to Part of deposit not protected
    JK0
    Did your dogs leave any deposits though?
    16-07-2019, 12:10 PM
  • Tenant withdrawing notice
    bagus
    I accepted tenants' notice to quit their SPT mid period. Their leaving date is really badly timed for me (2 weeks into summer hols, preventing me taking the kids abroad).

The notice wasn't valid, since it didn't end on the first or last day of the monthly SPT, but I did accept it. Now,...
    16-07-2019, 08:25 AM
  • Reply to Tenant withdrawing notice
    sam_cat
    Let them have their extension. Do check out on your return from holiday. Arrange for a friend to pop around after they have gone to collect keys, check all windows are locked and go from there.
    16-07-2019, 11:15 AM
    coppernob
    What's strange in this particular instance is that we cannot ask for the return of any of the amount (£1,150), despite £900 of it having been there since December!...
    16-07-2019, 11:11 AM
    KTC
    This came up before and I had the same question then. On what legal basis does the DPS have with having a 30 days you can't do anything with this deposit waiting period. Someone really need to ask them that. ...
    16-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Working...
X