How do you arrange viewings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlingogirl
    started a topic How do you arrange viewings?

How do you arrange viewings?

I'm trying to decide on the best way to arrange viewings. I've got a house that we're just cleaning etc for the next tenant and it's very nearly done and looking good. It's not overpriced, possibly slightly underpriced.

So far it's only advertised on Facebook (local group) and Gumtree while we're in the process of just finishing off the last bits of decorating etc. Perhaps not the choicest of advertising sites.

I made a group booking with 7 confirmed viewings and 4 maybes. I took names and phone numbers. In 1 1/2 hours only one person showed up.

I need a better way.

I'm going to be advertising it, perhaps on Openrent, so it goes on Rightmove.

Can anyone give me hints and tips to cut down on no-shows and no-hopers?

• Rewolf
    replied
    massive corporate giants are stuffed to the rim with underhand games, it's all about greed and money grabbing money is everything to them sorts ...they're welcome to it, I prefer peace, honesty and kindness over money

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    My gf was an estate agent in London for 6 months a couple of years ago selling houses. The culture was absolute madness. She told me that if she sold a house, her colleagues would pester the buyer to buy 'their' house to claim the commission instead.

I can't imagine how that firm is still in business with that nonsense going on.

Leave a comment:

• Rewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by HantsAgent View Post

I can understand why if you worked for a corporate agency. Been there, done that, would never go back. I’d also never use one or recommend one to anyone.

IMO, they are most responsible for the image that estate agency has. Employing kids, chasing targets/commission, charging astronomical tenant fees resulting in the impending ban.
    very true agreed !... I loved it before the corporates bought in and still loved it despite their attempts to break my spirit, then the later years all these sticky palmed kids coming in, targets and so on, I'd never any issues exceeding my targets but would of been doing the same if I'd not got any at all

I did try again for a few big independents but my own standards were too high for them, they weren't doing things right, even the company owners didn't know what to do when there was a suspected carbon monoxide leak reported. It made me certain of my decision to leave the rat race and to live out the rest of my years with peace and sanity ...enjoying a very different life now thankfully

Leave a comment:

• HantsAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Rewolf View Post

So glad I left EA after 30 years loving the industry and experiencing every character in the corporate world. I am happy to no longer be an agent.
    I can understand why if you worked for a corporate agency. Been there, done that, would never go back. I’d also never use one or recommend one to anyone.

IMO, they are most responsible for the image that estate agency has. Employing kids, chasing targets/commission, charging astronomical tenant fees resulting in the impending ban.

Obviously I’m biased, but I firmly believe that a good independent agent earns their money and can act in the best interest of their clients rather than their business.

Leave a comment:

• Rewolf
    replied
    Yeah, fair enough. Although I don’t think it’ll be helpful to private landlords as I doubt it’s somethig you can do easily.

This is one of the reasons why agents will often make the claim “we have tenants waiting”. We do, almost always.
    So glad I left EA after 30 years loving the industry and experiencing every character in the corporate world. I am happy to no longer be an agent.

Leave a comment:

• Ted.E.Bear
    replied
    I guess that some of it is simply due to the number of properties.
    A prospective tenant doesn't want to upset an agent as that can severely diminish the choice of properties. Upsetting a landlord who only has one property isn't going to cause the same problem.

Leave a comment:

• HantsAgent
    replied
    Yeah, fair enough. Although I don’t think it’ll be helpful to private landlords as I doubt it’s somethig you can do easily.

Being an established agent in an area means that you receive enquiries from prospective tenants daily. Sometimes they’d re calling about a specific property they’ve seen, others are calling to register their interest in future properties you might be instructed on.

Those tenants are asked (in a conversational way) for a whole host of information about who they are, where they come from, what they do, etc. etc. Many of those types of questions have already been suggested in this thread.

Then, when you list a new property, you call all the people that match and get them in to see it. You already know everything you want to about them, you know (more or less) that the property is what they’re looking for and you know that they’re motivated and keen.

This is one of the reasons why agents will often make the claim “we have tenants waiting”. We do, almost always.

Leave a comment:

• Rewolf
    replied
    I don’t have this problem, can’t afford to.

No-shows make up less than 5% of all our viewings, and even then there’s usually an apology, a reason for not turning up and a hope to rebook.

Surely it'd be a more helpful contribution to explain to the post how you successfully manage to do that otherwise this is just gloating. Not for me I'm ok thanks (yawn) If only for your comment to be of any real benefit.

Berlingogirl - I hope this helps, personally I would recommend confirming the appointment, at a closer point but not so close that they will be driving, maybe say you'll confirm with them the evening before or on the morning of the viewing if it's later in the day. I would also check with them that they know the area as many are "button click-happy" and haven't even done any research. Also end with the full address.
    Tip; if there's a To-let board or not/ advise as such as they maybe relying on this to help find it

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• HantsAgent
    replied
    I don’t have this problem, can’t afford to.

No-shows make up less than 5% of all our viewings, and even then there’s usually an apology, a reason for not turning up and a hope to rebook.

Leave a comment:

• Rewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by boletus View Post

Getting quite a few emails from irate mothers demanding to know why I won't let my immaculate £150K flat to her little Jonny who can't string a coherent sentence together.
    With much patience, Johny maybe OK so long as he can prove he's worthy .. and if mummy can go clean up after him when needs be 😂🚼👰
    I was verbally abused on the phone by one nutter.. believe it or not I could feel it coming and was. glad when it did so least I don't have to make up excuses for rejecting their enquiry..., they wanted to "try it see if they liked it before committing" said that's what they'd just done with another and scarily went into a full blown rant about the current place they were living in but going to leave without notice . I said I'm sorry but I can't offer a "taster/ trial" - I do things properly, to be met with a barrage of abuse part of which entailed I don't give a ###K about you or your ####OMG house ... oh that's so good to know 👌

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    I'm having an awful lot of problematic enquiries via Openrent this time around
    That has been my experience also.

A genuine decent applicant never has a problem with answering some basic info questions before arranging a viewing .
    That is my policy too. No point wasting both our time when there is no chance of me taking them on.

there's seemingly a new idea going round that they can just view and move in with no questions
    Yep, finding that too. Getting quite a few emails from irate mothers demanding to know why I won't let my immaculate £150K flat to her little Jonny who can't string a coherent sentence together.

Leave a comment:

• Rewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Ted.E.Bear View Post
    I would walk away from a private landlord who starts off by being unnecessarily intrusive, as it's only likely to get worse, there are plenty of other options.

good point but also not true

if you have an hour round trip to conduct viewings you want to ascertain a few things first to eliminate wasting anyones time, which including theirs

Leave a comment:

• Ted.E.Bear
    replied
    A genuine decent applicant never has a problem with answering some basic info questions before arranging a viewing
    I don't think that's necessarily true.
    I would not expect to be asked for anything other than contact details just to arrange a viewing, and no agent has ever asked any other questions.
    I would walk away from a private landlord who starts off by being unnecessarily intrusive, as it's only likely to get worse, there are plenty of other options.

Leave a comment:

• Rewolf
    replied
    I'm having an awful lot of problematic enquiries via Openrent this time around

It would seem like "word has got around" if you are struggling to get a LL to accept you - try Open-rent. THIS IS NOT TRUE ! Openrent is not just for the backstreet landlords seeking desperate tenants that want to do it all on same day, word only,,cash in hand. It's also for decent LL's with high standards that prefer to manage their own.

"Tenants" are simply not being honest and ultimately can't provide the info they first said they could...

A genuine decent applicant never has a problem with answering some basic info questions before arranging a viewing but there's seemingly a new idea going round that they can just view and move in with no questions.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X