X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mariner
    replied
    I hopeI am not a LL with 19C approach.x
    Current LAs have a similar attrition rate with viewings. (Window shopping?)
    Councils tend to score applicants, limit viewing invites to 3 highest scores in score (most deserving order) on the day
    These days, GDPR etc may limit collection of personal Contact info.
    When I was a Dinner Event Organizer I grew tired of notifying the Venue of a 25% reduction in attendees.
    I then required a nominal non-refundable booking fee to partly defray cost of' no shows'.
    I don't think there is one solution to fit all.

Leave a comment:

• Logical.Lean
    replied
    Look at Open Rent it gets you on right move and zoopla for £30 and referencing is very good value too.

We created a list on a spreadsheet of everyone that said they were interested and what information we had been able to obtain through a phone conversation. We then did 20 minute slots, over a weekend afternoons, the current tenant went out and allowed us to take over, because I was being VERY flexible on moving out date and on changes she'd made - I'd agree to ignore a few things so she'd get her deposit back.
    We made sure we had email addresses, and phone number, and texted the agreed time and then sent a text reminder about an hour before. We also made sure they knew that the existing tenant was being put out by allowing the early viewings. We had 2 cancellations on the day, but one of those was the partner of another viewer who'd both made appointments, and hadn't realised they were talking about the same house. They are living there now.

Leave a comment:

• Rewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    I made a conscious decision to treat tenants as customers.
    Which works for me.
    It's a mindset thing, not based on the country or its circumstances.

And I'm not sure about the landed gentry view.
    I have arrived at the conclusion that landlords, in the main, don't know what they're doing and act rashly, panic and bully because they're scared of the business they're in.
    And many of those who do know what they're doing are basically crooks.
    Agents are mostly staffed by people in their first adult job chasing commission which doesn't help.
    agree with this 100%
    treat with respect as a valued customer and hopefully get same respect and appreciation back

I've had a ridiculous amount of enquiries via open rent but when I send them my questions they either can't or won't answer and the ones that do and actually get to view and want it end up being non proceededable for whatever "hidden agenda" they had all along .. I can even hear them smoking as they say no I don't smoke and then they say oh yeah I've a really old staffy ( that doesn't really count as a dog anymore as its so old and small)

I am hearing non stop from tenants that wouldn't pass full credit checks and referencing with an estate or letting agency... They seemingly like to think open rent equates to an easy route landlord that won't bother checking them out - totally the wrong idea ....someone has clearly started a rumour that open rent is the way forward for un creditworthy and bad tenants ..it's not, it's just an advertising means !!!

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    Organize an 'open house' 2 hr viewing on a single date, (prob Sat PM).
    Introduce yourself to each attendee and provide your questionnaire to be completed/returned before they leave.
    If so, you will notify your preferred choices within 5 working days.

Leave a comment:

• security2
    replied
    You're right, different areas of the country may require different approaches. Different target tenants may also require different approaches.

In the South East, where demand is perhaps higher and you're looking for professionals as tenants, then the chances of them filling out a form prior to viewings is slim at best. They could be ideal tenants but too much admin would put them off.

I typically set up 2 or 3 sessions (weekend and evening) where I book 15 minute slots for anyone who wants to view. Anyone who responds to the ad, I call them, check they've got time to talk, then quiz them for a couple of minutes on what their general circumstances are, why they're looking to move, family situation, pets/smoking etc. It's also a chance to build a little rapport. If they sound potentially OK, then book them into a slot. If they don't, then tell them it's probably not worth wasting their time as you have had significant demand etc. Then send the chosen ones a confirmation email. If only a few viewers, then call the day before or on the morning to confirm they can still make it. If lots (we had 30 last time!) then email a re-confirmation. Then call everyone the day after to get their thoughts and any offer they want to make.

If, having met them, they are suitable, and they want to make an offer, then at that stage get them to fill out all the admin you want. They won't mind as they'll be wedded to wanting the property and won't want to lose out (because they will know you had multiple viewings and there is competition).

Basically, your competition is Letting Agents - who are professional salespeople. As a landlord, you are also a salesperson, selling the use of your property for the next 6 months+. So think about how a letting agent operates, take the best bits and replicate/improve and make sure you don't do the worst bits (in fact, make a point of telling your viewers what those bad points of a letting agent are and hammer home the benefits of dealing with the landlord direct!).

Have always used Upad, thinking about trying Openrent next time as they're cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
    Which online agent would you recommend?
    Upad or Visum.
    The agent you mention have certainly carved out their place but they are not for me personally. When I tried them, I felt they dictated too much how I run my business. They also make a point of tenants dealing directly with landlords, becoming (IMO) the go-to place for tenants who wouldn't be entertained by a high street agent. I don't have a problem finding tenants, only with sorting out the bad ones. Horses for courses.

if I sent out a questionnaire most of my prospective tenants couldn't fill it in.
    Might be worth at least asking "Please can you tell me a little about yourself?"

And please do take sensible precautions if doing the viewings yourself;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disapp..._Suzy_Lamplugh

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Thank you everyone for your interesting replies. My observation is that your suggestions might reflect the area in which you live/let.

I have to say, sadly, that if I sent out a questionnaire most of my prospective tenants couldn't fill it in. I know that might sound snobby. It isn't meant to be, but it's a sad fact. Please accept that.

I think I'll have to stick to group bookings for the most part, with the 1/2 hour reminder before hand. Anybody that can string a sentence together even with poor spelling gets the tenancy

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Originally posted by boletus View Post

That can certainly be improved on, I'd get maybe 1 no show out of that lot.

1. You're advertising in the wrong places.
    2. As said, your pre-vetting isn't working/good enough.
    3. Underpricing is attracting the wrong types.
    4. Get them to confirm the viewing 1 hr before.
    5. Agree with getting it on Rightmove, I'd choose another online agent though.
    I realise I was advertising in the wrong places, but tried advertising nearer to home first.
    Under pricing (slightly) was designed to attract the employed
    I should have confirmed the viewing, but if you're really interested you'd have remembered the time
    Which online agent would you recommend?

Leave a comment:

• Claymore
    replied
    I advertise on UPAD - same as openrent really.

When my enquiries come in, they are via email. I send them a reply email which says:

If answering the following questions truthfully, and you are certain you won't fail a credit check, you are still interested in viewing my property, then please contact me on mobile number etc to arrange a viewing.

This will get rid of a lot of time-wasters.

List of questions may include?

How long at previous address, can you provide contact details for your landlord and the previous landlord?
    Have you incurred any bank charges in the last 6 months for non-paid items?
    Do you have or have you ever had a CCJ?
    How long have you been in your current job?
    How many people will be living at the property?
    Have you ever been evicted and if so why?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
    I live in Spain where my experience as a tenant is that landlords and agents treat tenants like valued customers. Too many landlords in the UK think they are landed gentry living in the nineteenth century.
    I made a conscious decision to treat tenants as customers.
    Which works for me.
    It's a mindset thing, not based on the country or its circumstances.

And I'm not sure about the landed gentry view.
    I have arrived at the conclusion that landlords, in the main, don't know what they're doing and act rashly, panic and bully because they're scared of the business they're in.
    And many of those who do know what they're doing are basically crooks.
    Agents are mostly staffed by people in their first adult job chasing commission which doesn't help.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    I live in Spain where my experience as a tenant is that landlords and agents treat tenants like valued customers.
    Spain is over 500,000 KM2 compared with England's 130,000 KM2 with a smaller population than us.
    Spain has an unemployment rate of around 20% which is even higher for those in the typical renter profile. It has myriad problems and is a country on its arse.
    Comparing the rental markets of England and Spain is misleading at best.
    Weeding out timewasters in a thriving market is just good business practice, nothing to do with valuing customers or not.

Too many landlords in the UK think they are landed gentry living in the nineteenth century.
    Believe what Marxist soundbites you want, reality is landlords can already pick and choose tenants and it will be getting a lot, lot more competitive in future.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by RedHitman View Post
    When you initially speak to them on the phone (to arrange the viewing), ask them a serious of "interview" questions straight off the bat. This will weed out some of the time wasters straight away.
    Agree with this although the way I do it is to send an automated email asking them to please tell me a bit about themselves. If suitable, then from their response I will then ask the questions filling in the gaps.

They often volunteer personal information outside of the set questions that helps them to secure a tenancy- or not.

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Originally posted by boletus View Post

Good luck finding a half decent landlord in this market.

I live in Spain where my experience as a tenant is that landlords and agents treat tenants like valued customers. Too many landlords in the UK think they are landed gentry living in the nineteenth century.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    I think I would also avoid a landlord who wants a whole lot of information just to have a look round.
    Good luck finding a half decent landlord in this market.

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
    Can anyone give me hints and tips to cut down on no-shows and no-hopers?
    I do not think you can - it is part of the package if you cut out an agent.

Charging for viewing has to be out. It sends the wrong message to a prospective tenant. The message I would get is: "This is the sort of money-grubbing landlord I need to avoid." Is there any other business which charges customers to look at what's on offer?

I think I would also avoid a landlord who wants a whole lot of information just to have a look round.

As for block-booking, that sends the message that prospective tenants have to suit your convenience. Much better to say: "When are you free to come and have a look round?" Further, if the 7 confirmed viewings and 4 maybes were couples and had all turned up would you really have wanted two dozen people looking round the house at the same time?

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X