How do you arrange viewings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you arrange viewings?

I'm trying to decide on the best way to arrange viewings. I've got a house that we're just cleaning etc for the next tenant and it's very nearly done and looking good. It's not overpriced, possibly slightly underpriced.

So far it's only advertised on Facebook (local group) and Gumtree while we're in the process of just finishing off the last bits of decorating etc. Perhaps not the choicest of advertising sites.

I made a group booking with 7 confirmed viewings and 4 maybes. I took names and phone numbers. In 1 1/2 hours only one person showed up.

I need a better way.

I'm going to be advertising it, perhaps on Openrent, so it goes on Rightmove.

Can anyone give me hints and tips to cut down on no-shows and no-hopers?

Charge a small fee for viewing?

Comment

I had considered that. I think you suggested it on another post, but the admin would probably be not worth the while. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Sam_cat you said this on another post

" make sure you have a method of pre-vetting before people come for viewings"

Can you tell me how you go about this please?

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post

When you initially speak to them on the phone (to arrange the viewing), ask them a serious of "interview" questions straight off the bat. This will weed out some of the time wasters straight away.

Name, age, how many in the group, working, earnings, reasons for moving, intended length of stay, telephone number, email, current address, are you happy for me to do back ground and credit checks on you, do you smoke, pets... etc etc etc

Comment

I think Andrew Dod mentioned he emails tenant a questionnaire. Asking if they had ever been evicted, failed to leave on s21, or had deductions awarded from their deposit. Can't find the post at the moment.

Comment

A simple questionnaire, get some (lots) of details. eg:
              Name
              Current address
              Reason you are moving
              Ideal move date
              Any pets
              Who would be living in the house (full name, gender, date of birth, smoker, NI Number, Occupation and employer)
              A credit check will be carried out on anyone over 18 that will be living in the property, does anyone have any CCJ's or previous bad credit?
              Copy of last 3 months bank statements will be required to check affordability
              Ever been evicted?
              Ever failed to leave on the back of a section 21

etc etc

(There was a big post about this not that long ago, if you search you will find it... LOTS of good suggestions of things to put on the form.
              DONT FORGET - GDPR details need to go on this explaining what the data will be used for, how it will be held etc.

Doing this pre-viewing works well, as some tenants self select when they see certain questions (pets/credit check at a guess) and you never here from them again.
              Others its an obvious no (2 adults, 1x 18 year old and 3 under 11 boys and a 7 year old girl.... in a 3 bed semi... its not gonna work!)

Once you have the answers and dont see it as an issue you can get to arranging viewings.. Before the viewings reread all the answers given, and when showing them around be super professional but also quite chatty. Ask questions that you already have a written answer too and let them answer. Say nothing, leave 'dead air', people dont like this and will keep talking, often saying more than they intended.
              If the answers dont fit with the previous answers given (half truths/lies/work of fiction) then make a note.. thats a no!

Worked well for us so far... fingers crossed!

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'll be working on a set of questions.

Comment

I made a group booking with 7 confirmed viewings and 4 maybes. I took names and phone numbers. In 1 1/2 hours only one person showed up.
                  That can certainly be improved on, I'd get maybe 1 no show out of that lot.

1. You're advertising in the wrong places.
                  2. As said, your pre-vetting isn't working/good enough.
                  3. Underpricing is attracting the wrong types.
                  4. Get them to confirm the viewing 1 hr before.
                  5. Agree with getting it on Rightmove, I'd choose another online agent though.

Comment

Can anyone give me hints and tips to cut down on no-shows and no-hopers?
                    I do not think you can - it is part of the package if you cut out an agent.

Charging for viewing has to be out. It sends the wrong message to a prospective tenant. The message I would get is: "This is the sort of money-grubbing landlord I need to avoid." Is there any other business which charges customers to look at what's on offer?

I think I would also avoid a landlord who wants a whole lot of information just to have a look round.

As for block-booking, that sends the message that prospective tenants have to suit your convenience. Much better to say: "When are you free to come and have a look round?" Further, if the 7 confirmed viewings and 4 maybes were couples and had all turned up would you really have wanted two dozen people looking round the house at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                      I think I would also avoid a landlord who wants a whole lot of information just to have a look round.
                      Good luck finding a half decent landlord in this market.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

Good luck finding a half decent landlord in this market.

I live in Spain where my experience as a tenant is that landlords and agents treat tenants like valued customers. Too many landlords in the UK think they are landed gentry living in the nineteenth century.

Comment

Originally posted by RedHitman View Post
                          When you initially speak to them on the phone (to arrange the viewing), ask them a serious of "interview" questions straight off the bat. This will weed out some of the time wasters straight away.
                          Agree with this although the way I do it is to send an automated email asking them to please tell me a bit about themselves. If suitable, then from their response I will then ask the questions filling in the gaps.

They often volunteer personal information outside of the set questions that helps them to secure a tenancy- or not.

Comment

I live in Spain where my experience as a tenant is that landlords and agents treat tenants like valued customers.
                            Spain is over 500,000 KM2 compared with England's 130,000 KM2 with a smaller population than us.
                            Spain has an unemployment rate of around 20% which is even higher for those in the typical renter profile. It has myriad problems and is a country on its arse.
                            Comparing the rental markets of England and Spain is misleading at best.
                            Weeding out timewasters in a thriving market is just good business practice, nothing to do with valuing customers or not.

Too many landlords in the UK think they are landed gentry living in the nineteenth century.
                            Believe what Marxist soundbites you want, reality is landlords can already pick and choose tenants and it will be getting a lot, lot more competitive in future.

Comment

I live in Spain where my experience as a tenant is that landlords and agents treat tenants like valued customers. Too many landlords in the UK think they are landed gentry living in the nineteenth century.
                              I made a conscious decision to treat tenants as customers.
                              Which works for me.
                              It's a mindset thing, not based on the country or its circumstances.

And I'm not sure about the landed gentry view.
                              I have arrived at the conclusion that landlords, in the main, don't know what they're doing and act rashly, panic and bully because they're scared of the business they're in.
                              And many of those who do know what they're doing are basically crooks.
                              Agents are mostly staffed by people in their first adult job chasing commission which doesn't help.
                              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Carpet Replacement costs
                                Musely
                                I'm in the process of renewing the carpets in my let property. I advised the tenant to chose a carpet within a certain price and to then send me the quote. Included in that quote is £200 for moving the furniture. Am I liable for that or should the tenant be responsible for moving the furniture or...
                                19-11-2018, 18:41 PM
                              • Reply to Carpet Replacement costs
                                JK0
                                I never replace floor coverings during a tenancy if I can help it for the above reason among others. I'd suggest to tenant that if he wants the job doing, he covers that cost himself.
                                19-11-2018, 18:50 PM
                              • DPS protection scheme - "multiple claims"
                                DarcyCarter
                                A LL friend of mine has recently received letter from a no win, no fee solicitors claiming well over £10k for failure to lodge a deposit. She was an inexperienced LL, and admits the breach and has offered 2x compensation as per mid-range the Housing Act. Are they satisfied with this? Gosh no. Because...
                                19-11-2018, 17:27 PM
                              • Reply to DPS protection scheme - "multiple claims"
                                DPT57
                                If the tenancy was renewed the an additional penalty is potentially applicable for every new tenancy. A judge will rule on the final amount in a court case and may well row back from the lawyers £10k claim by awarding the minimum 1x for each occurence but the landlord doesn't want to take this to court...
                                19-11-2018, 18:07 PM
                              • Reply to DPS protection scheme - "multiple claims"
                                ash72
                                I personally would not pay, and tell them to take the LL to court, you can then argue your case in front of the judge. At the end of day if you have to pay 3x amount then at least you gave it ago at court.
                                19-11-2018, 17:52 PM
                              • Single parent dad , with visiting son .
                                Helen fenton
                                I rent out two rooms , I have two separate lodgers . One of them has been having his son over more and more . I’m going to give him notice to quit I think anyway becasue I’m fed up with the noise , but I wondered what laws there are about visitors and when children are viewed as residents .. I...
                                18-11-2018, 12:59 PM
                              • Reply to Single parent dad , with visiting son .
                                MdeB
                                Have you discussed your issues with your lodger?
                                He may not know you have issues.
                                19-11-2018, 17:22 PM
                              • Excluded Occupier?
                                PM2
                                I own a house that I do not live in (never have).

Many many years ago, I allowed my daughter to move into said property rent free. She currently resides there with her boyfriend and my grandchildren x 3 (all under 18).

We have no tenancy agreement (verbal or otherwise). However,...
                                19-11-2018, 12:25 PM
                              • Reply to Excluded Occupier?
                                DPT57
                                I agree. I don't think it will be worth all the hassle, (and yes there is lots of hassle) for £250 a month. Charge a market rent and give her some money for Christmas if you want to....
                                19-11-2018, 16:09 PM
                              • Tenant changing name to maiden name
                                security2
                                Hi all,

We have a tenant who has recently decided to change her name back to her maiden name after a divorce.

Do we need to do anything? Tenancy agreement and deposit protection are the 2 things we need to think about.

Grateful for any answers.
                                Thanks
                                17-11-2018, 13:46 PM
                              Working...
                              X