• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mahevomevs
    started a topic Surrender Tenancy?

Surrender Tenancy?

Hi maybe someone can give some advice/insight into our current situation

Me and my current flat mate were due to move out of our student accommodation. We were going to remain in London to start office jobs

So we managed to find a lovely apartment. We had to move quick otherwise we would have nowhere to stay.

We had less then a week to find a place.

We then signed a 12 month contract with a 6 month break clause for a 2 bedroom fixed term

Unfortunately, our circumstances have changed quickly. So quickly it’s only been 3 days since we moved in.

We are both students in our 3rd year. We were both due to graduate next month and start working. This will still happen for me. Unfortunately not for my flat mate , who just received news that he will have to retake an exam. This news has brought some repercussions. As He cannot graduate next month and of course then cannot start work without his degree qualifications

He will have to retake the exam and with no job now, will then have to return home until the next available graduation ceremony.

As such we believe we can no longer be inhabitants of the property. We want to go to the agency in a quick manner so that we can find a solution that is best for both parties.

We are willing to work with the agency to find a solution.

We want to propose a “surrender the tenancy”

Surrender occurs when both parties to a tenancy, the landlord and tenant, voluntarily agree to bring the tenancy to an end. Once surrender has taken place, all obligations and rights under a tenancy also come to an end.

We hope that in coming quickly and in a transparent manner they will be willing to work with us.

We understand that we are legally obligated to pay for the apartment and we will adhere to the contract until the agency finds new tenants and will take up any advertising costs

We’ve already paid firsts months rent and a 6 week holding deposit.

So we are willing to stay for the paid month.

My questions are

1. Do you think the agency will be willing to hear us out ?
    2. As we won’t be in the place for long will our deposit still be returned ? Or will they take it because of the inconvenience?
    3. How much costs can we expect ?
    4. Will the agency give us a grace to terminate since we haven’t been in the lease for longer then a week

Any other advice is welcomed

Thanks

• jpkeates
    replied
    1 - Possibly, but more likely not.
    2 - You're committed to the rent for six months, so that's the start point.
    3 - Six month's rent. Anything less than that is a win.
    4 - Probably not.

The agents may be more cooperative because there's more money in it for them on a change of tenant. The landlord is less likely to be interested, as it will cost them money.

Your friend may find that he still has a job.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Finding new tenants is stressful and costly for a landlord.
    It costs me about 1 month's rent for the letting agent, plus lost income due to vacancy.
    I do everything except tenant find myself; other landlords may have additional costs, such as professional inventory on check-in and check-out.

When you talk to agent/landlord be aware of the costs the LL may incur as a result of agreeing to a surrender of your tenancy and factor that into your negotiations.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pets causing eviction
    Wiffle
    Hi everyone,

Bit of background to start with.

We are new tenants of a rental property and told not only our letting agent but our landlord that we were the owners of two dogs.

The letting agent checked with the landlord that dogs were ok and they agreed as long...
    17-06-2019, 17:15 PM
  • Reply to Pets causing eviction
    KTC
    They can't actually force you to give up your dogs. They can (attempt to) evict you.
    17-06-2019, 22:32 PM
    Wiffle
    You join us and the letting agent in the same thought, does anyone know if there's a set limit of time they can request or is it something they can just make up as they go?

I can echo that, my kids are all grown up now but my mediocre DIY skills have been called upon many more times for...
    17-06-2019, 22:08 PM
  • Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
    RichH
    Hi,
    Fence at rear of property severely damaged by the strong winds a couple of nights back.
    Informed landlord by phone & also sent photos of damage by email. I have made emergency repairs to stop them going completely, but they are beyond repair.
    Landlord says they were put...
    10-03-2016, 19:01 PM
  • Reply to Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
    tenant83
    2 million+ rented homes in the UK, 14,782 surveyed by an insurance company is just pee in the ocean. You also referenced figures which were obviously in the landlords' favour, we can all do that which is why polls are useless. I can easily say almost half of tenants are unhappy with their landlords...
    17-06-2019, 21:32 PM
    Wainwright
    At any rate it's a tad unreasonable to give someone 2 weeks to rehome their dogs.

I don't know, but I'd be happier to let to people with pets (within reason, of course) than to those with children!! In my experience and those of other landlords I know, the latter have been far more problematic...
    17-06-2019, 21:18 PM
    Wainwright
    Ah! This is exactly what I was thinking as well....
    17-06-2019, 21:12 PM
  • Reply to Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
    boletus
    [QUOTE=tenant83;n1070209]

I didn't state any particular survey but 14,782 is quite some heavy weighting.

Why do you think that is?

Which is one of the lowest percentages of empty homes in Europe
    -or any other comparable...
    17-06-2019, 21:10 PM
  • Locking Building Doors At Night
    ivand
    Hi everyone, I live in a block of flats (some rented, some owned) with no entry system. The factor want to install a simple lock on the only entry to the building and lock it at night at a set time and give residents a key to get in. I think this is dangerous because it restricts entry by emergency...
    14-06-2019, 17:42 PM
  • Reply to Locking Building Doors At Night
    MdeB
    We have had this discussion for our block of flats.

The argument for no locks includes "the police advise that having a lock can make gaining entry a challenge to groups under the influence on a Saturday night, but hey are likely to pass on by if it is unlocked".

17-06-2019, 21:06 PM
Working...
X