Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surrender Tenancy?

Hi maybe someone can give some advice/insight into our current situation

Me and my current flat mate were due to move out of our student accommodation. We were going to remain in London to start office jobs

So we managed to find a lovely apartment. We had to move quick otherwise we would have nowhere to stay.

We had less then a week to find a place.

We then signed a 12 month contract with a 6 month break clause for a 2 bedroom fixed term

Unfortunately, our circumstances have changed quickly. So quickly it’s only been 3 days since we moved in.

We are both students in our 3rd year. We were both due to graduate next month and start working. This will still happen for me. Unfortunately not for my flat mate , who just received news that he will have to retake an exam. This news has brought some repercussions. As He cannot graduate next month and of course then cannot start work without his degree qualifications

He will have to retake the exam and with no job now, will then have to return home until the next available graduation ceremony.

As such we believe we can no longer be inhabitants of the property. We want to go to the agency in a quick manner so that we can find a solution that is best for both parties.

We are willing to work with the agency to find a solution.

We want to propose a “surrender the tenancy”

Surrender occurs when both parties to a tenancy, the landlord and tenant, voluntarily agree to bring the tenancy to an end. Once surrender has taken place, all obligations and rights under a tenancy also come to an end.

We hope that in coming quickly and in a transparent manner they will be willing to work with us.

We understand that we are legally obligated to pay for the apartment and we will adhere to the contract until the agency finds new tenants and will take up any advertising costs

We’ve already paid firsts months rent and a 6 week holding deposit.

So we are willing to stay for the paid month.

My questions are

1. Do you think the agency will be willing to hear us out ?
    2. As we won’t be in the place for long will our deposit still be returned ? Or will they take it because of the inconvenience?
    3. How much costs can we expect ?
    4. Will the agency give us a grace to terminate since we haven’t been in the lease for longer then a week

Any other advice is welcomed

Thanks

Finding new tenants is stressful and costly for a landlord.
    It costs me about 1 month's rent for the letting agent, plus lost income due to vacancy.
    I do everything except tenant find myself; other landlords may have additional costs, such as professional inventory on check-in and check-out.

When you talk to agent/landlord be aware of the costs the LL may incur as a result of agreeing to a surrender of your tenancy and factor that into your negotiations.

Comment

1 - Possibly, but more likely not.
      2 - You're committed to the rent for six months, so that's the start point.
      3 - Six month's rent. Anything less than that is a win.
      4 - Probably not.

The agents may be more cooperative because there's more money in it for them on a change of tenant. The landlord is less likely to be interested, as it will cost them money.

Your friend may find that he still has a job.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• tenancy agreement and co-owner
        progress
        If only one co-owner one can sign the tenancy agreement does this mean that this implies that the other agree to it. And what happens if only one co-owner signs a tenancy agreement and the other does not agree does it make the tenancy agreement invalid and what happens to the tenants who has already...
        21-10-2018, 09:43 AM
      • Tenant's boyfriend
        tatemono
        So, for the last year and a half we've had a young woman as a model tenant. She's improved the house no end and keeps it immaculate and only rarely raises very minimal and perfectly acceptable maintenance requests. Very pleasant lady all round.

The other day, our agent told us that she'd...
        29-09-2018, 08:08 AM
      • Reply to Tenant's boyfriend
        boletus
        If he's not causing a problem, then as the man said;...
        21-10-2018, 09:37 AM
      • Files over 6 Years Old...
        VictoriaH
        I've been doing a tidy up of my old files.
        I have invoice folders for my estate agency from 2010/2011/2012.
        Should i be disposing of everything older than 6 years?
        Should i keep soft copies?
        Regarding ASTs and rent statements, should i be getting rid of everything over 6 years,...
        21-10-2018, 06:21 AM
      • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
        JK0
        Keep everything IIWY.

HMRC can go back as long as they like if they suspect criminality. How will you prove you aren't a criminal if you don't have the papers?
        21-10-2018, 09:36 AM
        theartfullodger
        Don't think you "have to give permission".

Consider tenant who doesn't pay rent one month. You don't have to give permission for this (or not..), they remain liable to eviction under s8g10. Or one who fails to pay rent 3 months in a row then starts again, but still 3 months...
        21-10-2018, 09:31 AM
        jpkeates
        In reality, I can't see a s8 notice on that basis alone resulting in repossession, on the basis that a) it's disproportionate to be made homeless for a breach of that nature and b) that courts don't want to make people homeless if they can avoid it.

The term should probably be "which...
        21-10-2018, 09:30 AM
      • DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
        StuartH
        Have I missed something, or is it impossible for joint landlords to be recorded in the DPS Custodial Scheme in the way that joint tenants are separately identified? Does anyone think that a problem could arise over deposit protection issues where the record shows the identity of only one of two joint...
        19-10-2018, 15:34 PM
      • Reply to DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
        jpkeates
        It used to, but not any more (last time I used it was March - custodial scheme - so basing it on that date)....
        21-10-2018, 09:21 AM
        tatemono
        The TA says

So, if he stays there, we have to give written permission or she's technically in breach of the TA. If we give written permission, I assume that opens us up to all sorts of issues if he starts being a nuisance. Am I wrong about that?

So, we could just tell...
        21-10-2018, 09:08 AM
      Working...
      X