Locks on inner doors, the legal position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locks on inner doors, the legal position

I've read various posts about this but nothing says definitively what the legal position is so I am hoping someone can clarify.

My daughter has just started renting a room in a shared flat in London. The other tenants are strangers; she has a separate individual tenants agreement. She is very concerned that there is no lock on her own bedroom door. I've seen other posts that say that there should be a level of trust with other tenants but these people are - for now anyway - strangers so this is a very worrying situation.

She has asked her agent to fit a lock. The agent agrees to fit one but says that my daughter must pay a call-out fee of £65. Other posts suggest that as an individual agreement (not shared) it is the landlord/agent's obligation to fit locks but when she pointed that out to the agent the response was: "FYI there is no legal obligation to provide the lock, that would only stand for AST contracts however we operate with licence agreements."

What are the legalities here? She can't easily afford £65 but even if she could it feels like the agent is trying to palm off some of the expense.

Thanks for any advice.

I dont think the landlord is legally obliged to fit locks even on individually rented rooms. It might be a licence condition if its a licensed HMO but otherwise try asking for permission to fit it yourself

Comment

Many, particularly HMO, landlords pretend that they have licence agreements, to avoid their legal responsibilities. Often these are legally invalid, and there is really an AST.

If they are trying to argue a licence agreement, they cannot let your daughter have exclusive access to any part of the property, so they cannot allow her to fit locks..

I would look for a more responsible landlord, as the earliest opportunity, but expect to pay more.

Comment

There is no legal requirement to have a lock (or, conversely, not to have one).

There is an issue associated with locks and what is being rented by someone.
        If the person renting has exclusive access to a room and shares a kitchen/bathroom/other room(s) the rental is almost certainly a tenancy.
        If a room has a lock that's usually evidence of exclusive possession.

Some agreements require that the occupant grants access, for cleaning or delivering a meal - in which case, there's an argument that there's no exclusive access and the agreement isn't a tenancy, it's a kind of licence.

Tenants have more rights than licensees, particularly with regard to notice.

In that situation, I'd want a lock (and if I were the agent, I'd probably want there to be no lock).
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• tenancy agreement and co-owner
          progress
          If only one co-owner one can sign the tenancy agreement does this mean that this implies that the other agree to it. And what happens if only one co-owner signs a tenancy agreement and the other does not agree does it make the tenancy agreement invalid and what happens to the tenants who has already...
          21-10-2018, 09:43 AM
        • Tenant's boyfriend
          tatemono
          So, for the last year and a half we've had a young woman as a model tenant. She's improved the house no end and keeps it immaculate and only rarely raises very minimal and perfectly acceptable maintenance requests. Very pleasant lady all round.

The other day, our agent told us that she'd...
          29-09-2018, 08:08 AM
        • Reply to Tenant's boyfriend
          boletus
          If he's not causing a problem, then as the man said;...
          21-10-2018, 09:37 AM
        • Files over 6 Years Old...
          VictoriaH
          I've been doing a tidy up of my old files.
          I have invoice folders for my estate agency from 2010/2011/2012.
          Should i be disposing of everything older than 6 years?
          Should i keep soft copies?
          Regarding ASTs and rent statements, should i be getting rid of everything over 6 years,...
          21-10-2018, 06:21 AM
        • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
          JK0
          Keep everything IIWY.

HMRC can go back as long as they like if they suspect criminality. How will you prove you aren't a criminal if you don't have the papers?
          21-10-2018, 09:36 AM
          theartfullodger
          Don't think you "have to give permission".

Consider tenant who doesn't pay rent one month. You don't have to give permission for this (or not..), they remain liable to eviction under s8g10. Or one who fails to pay rent 3 months in a row then starts again, but still 3 months...
          21-10-2018, 09:31 AM
          jpkeates
          In reality, I can't see a s8 notice on that basis alone resulting in repossession, on the basis that a) it's disproportionate to be made homeless for a breach of that nature and b) that courts don't want to make people homeless if they can avoid it.

The term should probably be "which...
          21-10-2018, 09:30 AM
        • DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
          StuartH
          Have I missed something, or is it impossible for joint landlords to be recorded in the DPS Custodial Scheme in the way that joint tenants are separately identified? Does anyone think that a problem could arise over deposit protection issues where the record shows the identity of only one of two joint...
          19-10-2018, 15:34 PM
        • Reply to DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
          jpkeates
          It used to, but not any more (last time I used it was March - custodial scheme - so basing it on that date)....
          21-10-2018, 09:21 AM
          tatemono
          The TA says

So, if he stays there, we have to give written permission or she's technically in breach of the TA. If we give written permission, I assume that opens us up to all sorts of issues if he starts being a nuisance. Am I wrong about that?

So, we could just tell...
          21-10-2018, 09:08 AM
        Working...
        X