Gdpr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gdpr

Reading so much conflicting information.....I have 1 property, 1 tenant and I hols and electronic contract and have their email address, should I register and send a privacy notice?

https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guid...andlords.shtml

Comment

Yes to both questions, but do follow that link that Stef posted

Comment

Good God. Have you ever guys read such a lot of nonsense?

Comment

Was just thinking of how much money is going to be made out of this new GDPR.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymore View Post
            Was just thinking of how much money is going to be made out of this new GDPR.
            Made: none.
            Cost: millions.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
              Good God. Have you ever guys read such a lot of nonsense?
              Rarely! And the number of large corporations who got it all wrong, some of whom are now trying to say they are sorry, can they take it all back?

I am holding off with the "I told you so's" for the more stridently convinced colleagues who were so rudely certain they had to ask for consent for any and all emails sent!

As MdeB says, it will have cost a huge amount of money for no good reason. Had they just written the guidelines in plain English everyone would have seen that the Emperor really hadn't bought any new clothes!

Comment

Originally posted by Stef Cooke View Post

I am holding off with the "I told you so's" for the more stridently convinced colleagues who were so rudely certain they had to ask for consent for any and all emails sent!
                Thing is, if that were the case, now the law is in place, it is too late to email anyone to ask for consent for future emails.

Comment

FTA: Today I received an email from some new tenants who I provided my email address in a letter when they moved in. It occurs to me that since I have a gmail account, and the tenants emailed me, at no point have I stored their details. They supplied their email to gmail themselves, by sending me an email. I just responded to the email webpage they effectively sent me a link to.

Comment

Are you not registered for DPA?

Comment

I heard the Information Commissioner on radio 5 live (25 May 2018 at 0830) talking about GDPR and the misunderstanding around it. The example she gave was of a Dentist and said as they had an existing 'relationship' with their clients they wouldn't need to register !. So when I completed the do you need to register 'check list' as if I was a dentist it said I would need to register...how does that work ???

Comment

A dentist would almost certainly need to register - but they wouldn't need to do anything different with GDPR.
                        A dentist would have had to register under the previous legislation anyway.

What they don't need to do is seek consent.
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                          FTA: Today I received an email from some new tenants who I provided my email address in a letter when they moved in. It occurs to me that since I have a gmail account, and the tenants emailed me, at no point have I stored their details. They supplied their email to gmail themselves, by sending me an email. I just responded to the email webpage they effectively sent me a link to.
                          Not only are you storing data, but you are storing it outside the EU with no contract to protect it to EU standards!

Google's business email offering claims to be GDPR compliant, but the consumer one is not.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

Not only are you storing data, but you are storing it outside the EU with no contract to protect it to EU standards!

Google's business email offering claims to be GDPR compliant, but the consumer one is not.
                            Nope. My point is that my tenant stored the data, by sending me an email.

Comment

Ooh! I do like that as an argument about emails. I have argued in a similar vein, if they send it to me then that is on them, but got told I was being silly.

Happily, I don't use consent as a basis for anything and my email provider/web host is GDR complaint anyway

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X