Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke Alams

Hi
    Daft question and no doubt some of you will laugh, one of my agents tells me that we have to test the smoke alarms on the day the tenant moves in? Help never done this and usually just do it day or 2 before after final clean etc. Sounds daft but as I work I cant really do this?
    Thanks

Should be as a part of check in process as the requirement is to have working smoke alarms. Test in front of tenants and everyone can tick it off the list (figuratively or literally), it doesn't have to be you doing the check in

Comment

The relevant legislation is http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/4/made and says:

(b)checks are made by or on behalf of the landlord to ensure that each prescribed alarm is in proper working order on the day the tenancy begins if it is a new tenancy.
      Which allows your agent to to make the check for you, if you like. It is ambiguous as to whether the checks have to be done on the day, or just that there has to be certainty that they are working on the day. Even in the latter case, I would suggest that it would be unsafe to assume they were working if someone else has had access between the check and the check-in.

Comment

In their infinite wisdom, that's what the law says....
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Normally for something like this you would want to get the tenant to sigh off that it had been done, and you need to instruct the tenant on how to do the test, anyway. As such, it makes sense to do it in front of the tenant.

Comment

Hi, I use agents so don't meet or really want to meet the tenant, incase I know them. This is something they must have done in the past without asking as we always tested few days before, think its because ive dual agented 2 properties they don't like it. Makes them both work better tho
            thanks for help

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              The relevant legislation is http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/4/made and says:

Which allows your agent to to make the check for you, if you like. It is ambiguous as to whether the checks have to be done on the day, or just that there has to be certainty that they are working on the day. Even in the latter case, I would suggest that it would be unsafe to assume they were working if someone else has had access between the check and the check-in.
              Thanks for info

Comment

I check when do the inventory, that gives LL and LA time to remedy if one is not working. Then I repeat the test with the T at check in. If the T does not attend I check them and make note of it. Agents who do the check ins do the same (ha ha). So they are always tested on day 1 of a new tenancy.

Comment

Buy a morning paper on the day tenancy starts. Start filming on that, then pan up to smoke detector and test it.

Comment

So it develops they want to charge me 30 quid to do it haha no chance

Comment

Mine have always been done as a part of the check in process but in this instance can you not text the tenant to check (push button) and confirm by return text? Then you have a record that if you choose to can be screenshot and emailed to the agents for their own records

Comment

I went first thing this am checked them and dropped paperwork of, think its just agent being akward as using other agents and they normally just do it and never mention it

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lettings Agent increasing the rent without asking the landlord
                          Jimmy Bean
                          I'm an independent landlord and have a happy tenant coming to the end of a 12 month rental agreement. The property was advertised and let with the help of a lettings agent on a let only agreement (not managed). I have found out from the tenant that he received a letter from the estate agency a month...
                          26-05-2019, 14:11 PM
                        • Reply to Lettings Agent increasing the rent without asking the landlord
                          mariner
                          You CAN sack the Agent, but it will prob take 3 mo. Read your Agent's Terms of Business Contract you agreed for severance payment.
                          26-05-2019, 22:56 PM
                          MdeB
                          Not in any tenant find that I have agreed to.
                          I make it clear to the agent that I want a one-off fee; my tenants generally stay for 3+ years.
                          I also use my own tenancy agreement so that agent cannot sneak in any clauses beneficial to them....
                          26-05-2019, 21:17 PM
                        • New Tenancy Issues
                          AXY
                          Good Evening All,

I found this forum by a happy accident and would like advice on a tenancy issues on which I am not an well versed in.

I have recently moved into a property which has a few issues that are making my stay as a tenant quite uncomfortable. The landlord was being...
                          25-05-2019, 18:22 PM
                        • Reply to New Tenancy Issues
                          MdeB
                          You write that
                          1. The son (S) owns the property;
                          2. S is named as LL in the tenancy agreement;
                          3. You pay rent to S
                          4. S is abroad.
                          5. Father (F) is managing the property on behalf of S.
                          You ask

To help answer that question, I need to know
                          • Why are you dealing with F?
                          • Was the instruction
                          26-05-2019, 20:29 PM
                        • Landlord's possessions in property
                          jmp1991
                          Hello,

Looking for some advice. We rent a property from a landlord which is managed by an agent.
                          Once we moved in, we discovered several very large boxes of the landlord's possessions stored in the only cupboard.
                          Due to this, we have ironing boards, hoovers, etc floating around...
                          20-05-2019, 19:03 PM
                        • Reply to Landlord's possessions in property
                          Hudson01
                          The landlord does appear to be getting cheap (i.e free) storage at your expense, i think you have acted totally correctly and in a fair manner, the landlord is taking the mickey.
                          26-05-2019, 20:25 PM
                          Hudson01
                          They sound like sharks, i use the same kind of service from my agents and i then just let the AST go periodic, i tell the tenants this at the start of the lease and that i will not need another new contract signed, there will be no fees etc...... most are happy with this and sound surprised as in the...
                          26-05-2019, 19:50 PM
                          KTC
                          You're describing a situation where the facts clearly show you had a tenancy long before any paperwork was produced by one side, and produced unilaterally in response to a court claim. When there's an agreed tenancy agreement where the person or company stated as landlord is by the facts of the case...
                          26-05-2019, 18:22 PM
                          MW1985
                          I can say from first hand experience that this is not strictly true. I went to court this week and the court accepted that the landlord is the person to whom rent was paid i.e. who got the cash in their bank account.

When I rented I never had a tenancy agreement on paper, but since I...
                          26-05-2019, 17:56 PM
                        Working...
                        X