Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke Alams

Hi
    Daft question and no doubt some of you will laugh, one of my agents tells me that we have to test the smoke alarms on the day the tenant moves in? Help never done this and usually just do it day or 2 before after final clean etc. Sounds daft but as I work I cant really do this?
    Thanks

Should be as a part of check in process as the requirement is to have working smoke alarms. Test in front of tenants and everyone can tick it off the list (figuratively or literally), it doesn't have to be you doing the check in

Comment

The relevant legislation is http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/4/made and says:

(b)checks are made by or on behalf of the landlord to ensure that each prescribed alarm is in proper working order on the day the tenancy begins if it is a new tenancy.
      Which allows your agent to to make the check for you, if you like. It is ambiguous as to whether the checks have to be done on the day, or just that there has to be certainty that they are working on the day. Even in the latter case, I would suggest that it would be unsafe to assume they were working if someone else has had access between the check and the check-in.

Comment

In their infinite wisdom, that's what the law says....
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Normally for something like this you would want to get the tenant to sigh off that it had been done, and you need to instruct the tenant on how to do the test, anyway. As such, it makes sense to do it in front of the tenant.

Comment

Hi, I use agents so don't meet or really want to meet the tenant, incase I know them. This is something they must have done in the past without asking as we always tested few days before, think its because ive dual agented 2 properties they don't like it. Makes them both work better tho
            thanks for help

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              The relevant legislation is http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/4/made and says:

Which allows your agent to to make the check for you, if you like. It is ambiguous as to whether the checks have to be done on the day, or just that there has to be certainty that they are working on the day. Even in the latter case, I would suggest that it would be unsafe to assume they were working if someone else has had access between the check and the check-in.
              Thanks for info

Comment

I check when do the inventory, that gives LL and LA time to remedy if one is not working. Then I repeat the test with the T at check in. If the T does not attend I check them and make note of it. Agents who do the check ins do the same (ha ha). So they are always tested on day 1 of a new tenancy.

Comment

Buy a morning paper on the day tenancy starts. Start filming on that, then pan up to smoke detector and test it.

Comment

So it develops they want to charge me 30 quid to do it haha no chance

Comment

Mine have always been done as a part of the check in process but in this instance can you not text the tenant to check (push button) and confirm by return text? Then you have a record that if you choose to can be screenshot and emailed to the agents for their own records

Comment

I went first thing this am checked them and dropped paperwork of, think its just agent being akward as using other agents and they normally just do it and never mention it

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Cat Urine Smell
                          Lucymcmullen
                          Hi All, I am looking for some advise please. I've just rented a house and there is a very strong cat urine smell that is unbearable. The house stank when I viewed it but the previous tenant was still there at the time with the cats so I assumed the smell was coming from the litter box. I was informed...
                          21-09-2019, 17:59 PM
                        • Reply to Cat Urine Smell
                          Interlaken
                          It might be a good idea to find out where exactly the cat pee is using a UV light. Then treat with bleach multiple times. There are cat urine eliminators out there but I have never found them effective. Eventually the smell will go but I thoroughly recommend the bleach method.

22-09-2019, 12:10 PM
                        • Finding new tenant
                          artin
                          Hi
                          Tenants are leaving so looking for new ones for a 2 bedroom flat.
                          I usually use state agents and they found 2 single guys which I met last Friday. Both engineers, mid 20s with masters degree and working for the same reasonably medium size company who employ 700 people. Both pleasant...
                          15-09-2019, 20:27 PM
                        • Reply to Finding new tenant
                          artin
                          I am accepting them but having rent guarantee insurance in case plus as above 2 months inspections. I also asked the estate agent to add a condition where to ask me if they want to add any bulky furniture except study desks for each bedroom which they wanted me to supply but I refused.

22-09-2019, 11:37 AM
                        • Long time tenants , no TA
                          Luke
                          Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                          Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                          Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
                          Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months...
                          18-09-2019, 07:23 AM
                        • Reply to Long time tenants , no TA
                          jpkeates
                          There isn't (as far as I know) any accepted definition for someone moving out and back in.
                          It would be (I think) something that would be decided on the facts of the specific issue.

If your last tenancy agreement says that there is no deposit, I'd rely on that.
                          You can always...
                          22-09-2019, 11:15 AM
                          jpkeates
                          Cat urine is a health hazard.
                          Whether it's serious enough a hazard to make a property uninhabitable isn't something I know enough to comment on.

On a practical level, the flooring and carpets need to be replaced.
                          Bicarbonate of Soda will dry out the carpets and floor and kill...
                          22-09-2019, 11:08 AM
                        • Reply to Long time tenants , no TA
                          Luke
                          What is the legally accepted definition of the tenants moving out of a property and cessation of previous TA ?
                          Would it be written notice from the tenant giving date of leaving ?
                          Or would T have to vacate the property for a certain amount of time ?
                          How could I legally put an end to...
                          22-09-2019, 11:02 AM
                          leaseholder64
                          If there is no health hazard, I would have thought it was lettable, but with significantly depressed market rent.
                          22-09-2019, 10:59 AM
                          jpucng62
                          Bicarbonate of soda is the way to deal with this as mentioned above - but if it has soaked through to the floorboard all floor coverings will need to be removed first & then replaced once the floorboards have been scrubbed.

The smell, whilst unpleasant, is not a health hazard if the...
                          22-09-2019, 10:45 AM
                        Working...
                        X