Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke Alams

Hi
    Daft question and no doubt some of you will laugh, one of my agents tells me that we have to test the smoke alarms on the day the tenant moves in? Help never done this and usually just do it day or 2 before after final clean etc. Sounds daft but as I work I cant really do this?
    Thanks

Should be as a part of check in process as the requirement is to have working smoke alarms. Test in front of tenants and everyone can tick it off the list (figuratively or literally), it doesn't have to be you doing the check in

Comment

The relevant legislation is http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/4/made and says:

(b)checks are made by or on behalf of the landlord to ensure that each prescribed alarm is in proper working order on the day the tenancy begins if it is a new tenancy.
      Which allows your agent to to make the check for you, if you like. It is ambiguous as to whether the checks have to be done on the day, or just that there has to be certainty that they are working on the day. Even in the latter case, I would suggest that it would be unsafe to assume they were working if someone else has had access between the check and the check-in.

Comment

In their infinite wisdom, that's what the law says....
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Normally for something like this you would want to get the tenant to sigh off that it had been done, and you need to instruct the tenant on how to do the test, anyway. As such, it makes sense to do it in front of the tenant.

Comment

Hi, I use agents so don't meet or really want to meet the tenant, incase I know them. This is something they must have done in the past without asking as we always tested few days before, think its because ive dual agented 2 properties they don't like it. Makes them both work better tho
            thanks for help

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              The relevant legislation is http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/4/made and says:

Which allows your agent to to make the check for you, if you like. It is ambiguous as to whether the checks have to be done on the day, or just that there has to be certainty that they are working on the day. Even in the latter case, I would suggest that it would be unsafe to assume they were working if someone else has had access between the check and the check-in.
              Thanks for info

Comment

I check when do the inventory, that gives LL and LA time to remedy if one is not working. Then I repeat the test with the T at check in. If the T does not attend I check them and make note of it. Agents who do the check ins do the same (ha ha). So they are always tested on day 1 of a new tenancy.

Comment

Buy a morning paper on the day tenancy starts. Start filming on that, then pan up to smoke detector and test it.

Comment

So it develops they want to charge me 30 quid to do it haha no chance

Comment

Mine have always been done as a part of the check in process but in this instance can you not text the tenant to check (push button) and confirm by return text? Then you have a record that if you choose to can be screenshot and emailed to the agents for their own records

Comment

I went first thing this am checked them and dropped paperwork of, think its just agent being akward as using other agents and they normally just do it and never mention it

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can we follow the German model?
                          midlandslandlord
                          A thought experiment.

The standard practice is Germany for long term rental is to rent a shell, and T supplies kitchen and bathroom (and carpets?).

Given that we and our tenants are just being .. er .. fooked over by another crazy set of rules wrt fees and prevention of recovery...
                          18-04-2019, 07:28 AM
                        • Reply to Can we follow the German model?
                          DPT57
                          This sort of model, which of course only really applies to family lets, requires the tenants to accept that they are going to be tenants for many years if not life and accept the property as their settled home for a good chunk of that time. I dont think we have enough tenants with that sort of mindset...
                          18-04-2019, 12:30 PM
                        • Landlord trying to keep deposit
                          cherrie
                          My former landlord and letting agent are trying to withheld my deposit. (England 12month AST).
                          They are trying to claim I caused damage to the carpets and walls but this damage actually belongs to the second flat in the same building and was caused by the previous tenant of that flat who left...
                          15-04-2019, 18:04 PM
                        • Reply to Landlord trying to keep deposit
                          MdeB
                          You appear to be saying that there are two identical flats in the building and that they do not share any common facilities.

You further appear to be saying that the other flat was vacated 4 months ago and left in a poor state, AND that the Agent is using photos of that flat to claim money...
                          18-04-2019, 12:24 PM
                          jpkeates
                          It would depend on the wording, but generally speaking the tenancy agreement documents the terms of the tenancy and doesn't have an existance separate to it.
                          It's not helpful that in England, land law and contract law operate slightly differently, but the idea (for example) that the contractual...
                          18-04-2019, 12:12 PM
                          MdeB
                          Yes, the tenancy ends, but what about the contract?

The contract says that it will continue beyond the fixed term unless notice is served to prevent that.
                          Shelter seem to believe that if the contract says T must give notice, then LL has a case if T does not.(https://england.shelt...
                          18-04-2019, 11:52 AM
                          MdeB
                          You did exactly what your contract required, so notice is deemed served.

You may wish to point this out to them....
                          18-04-2019, 11:42 AM
                          MdeB
                          Of course T can serve notice during the fixed term. It is just that T cannot serve legally-binding notice to quit during the fixed term.

There is nothing to stop T serving notice on L stating that that they do not intend staying in the property beyond the fixed term....
                          18-04-2019, 11:40 AM
                        • Switch Agent?
                          charliesunnysky
                          The owner of the lettings agency who manage my property sold the business on to a small independent chain 2 months ago, and the 2 staff who worked there apparently moved on for personal reasons, both on Friday.

An employee from the chain has been drafted in to cover. 2 months ago my letting...
                          15-04-2019, 12:11 PM
                        • Reply to Switch Agent?
                          jpkeates
                          You don't want rent paid fortnightly.

If the tenant is paying fortnightly that causes all kinds of complications with notice, particularly if it's not in line with the original tenancy agreement,

If the tenant is paying monthly and the agent is sitting on half of it, that would...
                          18-04-2019, 11:25 AM
                        Working...
                        X