Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke Alams

Hi
    Daft question and no doubt some of you will laugh, one of my agents tells me that we have to test the smoke alarms on the day the tenant moves in? Help never done this and usually just do it day or 2 before after final clean etc. Sounds daft but as I work I cant really do this?
    Thanks

Should be as a part of check in process as the requirement is to have working smoke alarms. Test in front of tenants and everyone can tick it off the list (figuratively or literally), it doesn't have to be you doing the check in

Comment

The relevant legislation is http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/4/made and says:

(b)checks are made by or on behalf of the landlord to ensure that each prescribed alarm is in proper working order on the day the tenancy begins if it is a new tenancy.
      Which allows your agent to to make the check for you, if you like. It is ambiguous as to whether the checks have to be done on the day, or just that there has to be certainty that they are working on the day. Even in the latter case, I would suggest that it would be unsafe to assume they were working if someone else has had access between the check and the check-in.

Comment

In their infinite wisdom, that's what the law says....
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Normally for something like this you would want to get the tenant to sigh off that it had been done, and you need to instruct the tenant on how to do the test, anyway. As such, it makes sense to do it in front of the tenant.

Comment

Hi, I use agents so don't meet or really want to meet the tenant, incase I know them. This is something they must have done in the past without asking as we always tested few days before, think its because ive dual agented 2 properties they don't like it. Makes them both work better tho
            thanks for help

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              The relevant legislation is http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/4/made and says:

Which allows your agent to to make the check for you, if you like. It is ambiguous as to whether the checks have to be done on the day, or just that there has to be certainty that they are working on the day. Even in the latter case, I would suggest that it would be unsafe to assume they were working if someone else has had access between the check and the check-in.
              Thanks for info

Comment

I check when do the inventory, that gives LL and LA time to remedy if one is not working. Then I repeat the test with the T at check in. If the T does not attend I check them and make note of it. Agents who do the check ins do the same (ha ha). So they are always tested on day 1 of a new tenancy.

Comment

Buy a morning paper on the day tenancy starts. Start filming on that, then pan up to smoke detector and test it.

Comment

So it develops they want to charge me 30 quid to do it haha no chance

Comment

Mine have always been done as a part of the check in process but in this instance can you not text the tenant to check (push button) and confirm by return text? Then you have a record that if you choose to can be screenshot and emailed to the agents for their own records

Comment

I went first thing this am checked them and dropped paperwork of, think its just agent being akward as using other agents and they normally just do it and never mention it

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Should a landlord provide means of connecting a cooker?
                          Mexico14
                          Moved in to a house without a cooker nor the basic connections to my install my own? There is a gas pipe near the space for a cooker however it's been capped off. Also there's no switch with a neon light for an electric cooker. Should either of these have been provided by the landlord?...
                          21-05-2019, 17:46 PM
                        • Reply to Should a landlord provide means of connecting a cooker?
                          buzzard1994
                          What was there when you viewed it and what does your inventory say?

There us wiring and there is a gas pipe, which would have to be capped off if nothing connected to it. For atrained person neither is a difficult job and the cost is likely to be pretty similar unless the gas fitter reckons...
                          23-05-2019, 17:25 PM
                        • tenants excess use of water/failure to report
                          Davidqc1
                          Hi All,

My position is as follows. T in flat. Managed by A. Fully managed. Same T for last few years. No issues re rent or condition of flat. Regular water bills which I pay on a quarterly basis. T pays £25 in addition to monthly rent. I receive a water bill for sum of £1150 over the...
                          22-05-2019, 19:53 PM
                        • Reply to tenants excess use of water/failure to report
                          buzzard1994
                          I understand your pain - but unless your agreement with the tenant includes something about paying for excess water use then I suspect your only hope is to negotiate with the water company.

If the toilet was not filling you'd expect the tenant to notice but if filling, just overflowing...
                          23-05-2019, 17:06 PM
                        • Invalid section 21?
                          sark
                          Hi,

After 5 years quietly renting our flat, the landlord has decided to sell and gave us formal 'notice to quit'. He tells us his mortgage ends next year so he needs to sell.

He sent the notice via email on 9th April, giving us until 8th June to leave (the date on the attached...
                          23-05-2019, 13:20 PM
                        • Reply to Invalid section 21?
                          DPT57
                          You do seem to have taken this quite personally, but its possible that the landlord cant get a replacement btl motgage, which is a lot tougher these days or even that he just cant manage the massively increased bureaucracy.

As others have suggested, I would keep quiet about the invalid...
                          23-05-2019, 14:46 PM
                          jpkeates
                          It's very easy to get notice wrong - but that only matters if everyone falls out.
                          From the sound of it, you've accepted you're going to need to move and, so, hopefully, it's just about the time scale.
                          23-05-2019, 14:23 PM
                          JK0
                          Oh, well there's no reason he couldn't do that for the sake of comparison, but still sell to you. Maybe you could ask what his estate agent suggests, and make him a lower offer?...
                          23-05-2019, 14:22 PM
                          sark
                          It sounds like he's got this very wrong, which is helpful. I don't fancy my chances of getting 5k from him however...
                          23-05-2019, 14:19 PM
                        • Reply to tenants excess use of water/failure to report
                          Interlaken
                          How long has the tenant been absent? Is there a clause in the AST that says he must not leave the premises empty for more than 21 days or similar. This might give you some way of proving negligence.
                          23-05-2019, 14:08 PM
                        Working...
                        X