Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke Alams

Hi
    Daft question and no doubt some of you will laugh, one of my agents tells me that we have to test the smoke alarms on the day the tenant moves in? Help never done this and usually just do it day or 2 before after final clean etc. Sounds daft but as I work I cant really do this?
    Thanks

Should be as a part of check in process as the requirement is to have working smoke alarms. Test in front of tenants and everyone can tick it off the list (figuratively or literally), it doesn't have to be you doing the check in

Comment

The relevant legislation is http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/4/made and says:

(b)checks are made by or on behalf of the landlord to ensure that each prescribed alarm is in proper working order on the day the tenancy begins if it is a new tenancy.
      Which allows your agent to to make the check for you, if you like. It is ambiguous as to whether the checks have to be done on the day, or just that there has to be certainty that they are working on the day. Even in the latter case, I would suggest that it would be unsafe to assume they were working if someone else has had access between the check and the check-in.

Comment

In their infinite wisdom, that's what the law says....
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Normally for something like this you would want to get the tenant to sigh off that it had been done, and you need to instruct the tenant on how to do the test, anyway. As such, it makes sense to do it in front of the tenant.

Comment

Hi, I use agents so don't meet or really want to meet the tenant, incase I know them. This is something they must have done in the past without asking as we always tested few days before, think its because ive dual agented 2 properties they don't like it. Makes them both work better tho
            thanks for help

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              The relevant legislation is http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/4/made and says:

Which allows your agent to to make the check for you, if you like. It is ambiguous as to whether the checks have to be done on the day, or just that there has to be certainty that they are working on the day. Even in the latter case, I would suggest that it would be unsafe to assume they were working if someone else has had access between the check and the check-in.
              Thanks for info

Comment

I check when do the inventory, that gives LL and LA time to remedy if one is not working. Then I repeat the test with the T at check in. If the T does not attend I check them and make note of it. Agents who do the check ins do the same (ha ha). So they are always tested on day 1 of a new tenancy.

Comment

Buy a morning paper on the day tenancy starts. Start filming on that, then pan up to smoke detector and test it.

Comment

So it develops they want to charge me 30 quid to do it haha no chance

Comment

Mine have always been done as a part of the check in process but in this instance can you not text the tenant to check (push button) and confirm by return text? Then you have a record that if you choose to can be screenshot and emailed to the agents for their own records

Comment

I went first thing this am checked them and dropped paperwork of, think its just agent being akward as using other agents and they normally just do it and never mention it

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 21 query
                          Diwalt
                          I was notified last week that my landlord would be serving me with a section 21 as he has recently sold the property and the buyers are wanting to move in to it.

I received a copy of the notice, along with receipts from the post office, by email today and I’m a bit confused by it....
                          19-06-2018, 11:17 AM
                        • Reply to Section 21 query
                          Diwalt
                          Thank you! I’m going to speak with the letting agents as they were the ones who notified me last week that the landlord was wanting to issue the section 21 and who emailed me a copy.

I don’t want to be awkward with them at all but I don’t want to get to the 20/08/2018 and pay another...
                          19-06-2018, 12:20 PM
                          DPT57
                          By negotiation, yes. Most landlords would accept that although they don't have to....
                          19-06-2018, 11:52 AM
                          jpkeates
                          To be honest, at this point, you might be better off seeing what you and your landlord can agree.

The legal position is fixed and not very flexible.
                          You can leave on the 20th without the landlord's agreement (so it's entirely in your court).
                          But to do that you'd have to give...
                          19-06-2018, 11:51 AM
                          Diwalt
                          I’m not going to quibble with them over a few pounds I was just confused as to why the notice states that it requires possession after the 26th rather than after the 21st.

If I find another place can I leave by 20th so I’m not going in to a new month or does it have to be after 26th?...
                          19-06-2018, 11:40 AM
                          jpkeates
                          The extra "s" on your name probably isn't enough for the notice to be invalid. It's obviously meant for you, and you know that it is, so the spelling isn't critical.

The rent issue is quite common with s21 notices. Unless your tenancy agreement is very specific (and I've never...
                          19-06-2018, 11:30 AM
                        • False advertisement on room, what can be done?
                          JordanC92
                          I've recently moved into a new house share and on the advertisement it said that the internet was fibre, and I've now realised it really isn't. One of the main reasons I rented the place was because of this fact as I needed fast internet for work etc, and the highest speed I've been able to get is 10mbps,...
                          14-06-2018, 17:33 PM
                        • Reply to False advertisement on room, what can be done?
                          rfph1
                          if you have "used a wired connection to test, and got 15mbps" then you probably have fibre - just not getting anywhere near maximum speeds. Non-fibre speeds generally average 8-12 Mbps iirc.
                          Posts on www.adskguide.org should enable you to diagnose exactly what connection you have -...
                          18-06-2018, 20:33 PM
                          nukecad
                          I think its a NIRN thing. (NEED It Right NOW).

Chill a bit, unless you are trading the stock market then 5, or even 60 minutes is not a problem for businesses.

I still have a feeling that this is a course question about 'reasonable expectation'.
                          (Which may have been picked...
                          18-06-2018, 18:58 PM
                          mariner
                          Then you/T pay to have faster internet installed
                          18-06-2018, 15:29 PM
                        Working...
                        X