Access for gas safety inspections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access for gas safety inspections

Out of interest, what’s the usual procedure for arranging access for gas safety inspections?

I got a call today from some organisation that’s apparently been contracted by my landlord to do a gas safety inspection in my flat (they did not seem to know my name and had to ask if I have a gas supply).

They wanted to know if I’d be available to let them in to do the inspection tomorrow. When I told them I couldn’t because I’d be at work, they requested Wednesday next week between 12pm and 3pm. This is possible but not really convenient (I have meetings at work I don’t want to miss that day, so I can’t take the whole day off, and the way it’s in the middle of the day means I can’t just come in to work late or leave early).

Is it standard practice for tenants to be expected to make themselves available at a time convenient to the contractor for things like this? Ideally, I’d prefer for them to just get a key from my landlord and come in and do the inspection while I’m at work but that doesn’t seem to be how they operate.

GSC inspectors tend only to work 9-5 Mon-Fri.
    Before arranging an apt, check with LL who he has arranged to conduct GSC, by what date, or ask LL to attend mutually convenient appt.
    First appt I suggest you attend to request Inspector's ID & Gas-Safe Registration.

Comment

You don't need to make yourself available. You only need to give permissions to enter.

On the other hand, you should ensure that the organisation is genuine, and is working for your landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        You don't need to make yourself available. You only need to give permissions to enter.

On the other hand, you should ensure that the organisation is genuine, and is working for your landlord.
        This.

I (landlord) tell the tenant when the inspection is due and get them to give me a date that's good for them. If no date can be agreed/where the tenant is home, then I meet the inspector at the property and let them in. They only take about half an hour or so depending on what appliances etc are there.

But yes, this should be coming from the landlord and not some random company ringing you. You need to speak to the LL or LA.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1 View Post
          I got a call today...

They wanted to know if I’d be available to let them in to do the inspection tomorrow. When I told them I couldn’t because I’d be at work...
          So someone called you, let's say for argument's sake it was your local friendly burglar. And you told them exactly when you won't be at home.

Do you see the problem here?
          ​​​​​

Comment

NEVER agree to something with someone you do not know unless you have been advised by someone you know and trust that they will contact you for a specific purpose.

Personally, I always communicate with tenant before making arrangements and give them the option of being present or me chaperoning tradesman. If T wants to be present, I will often attend and combine it with an inspection.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I called my landlord today and they confirmed that they’ve contracted a company to do a gas safety inspection and told me the name. I looked up the outfit on the Companies House website. They’re so late filing their accounts that the company is about to be compulsorily struck off and dissolved. Not quite sure what to make of that.

I’ll make sure that the person who turns up has appropriate identification and credentials.

Comment

You have done the correct thing in making sure, I have always ensured that I am present in a property when this is carried out and have always contacted tenants myself rather than leaving it up to the company, so I must admit it did sound a little unusual.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• tenancy agreement and co-owner
                  progress
                  If only one co-owner one can sign the tenancy agreement does this mean that this implies that the other agree to it. And what happens if only one co-owner signs a tenancy agreement and the other does not agree does it make the tenancy agreement invalid and what happens to the tenants who has already...
                  21-10-2018, 09:43 AM
                • Tenant's boyfriend
                  tatemono
                  So, for the last year and a half we've had a young woman as a model tenant. She's improved the house no end and keeps it immaculate and only rarely raises very minimal and perfectly acceptable maintenance requests. Very pleasant lady all round.

The other day, our agent told us that she'd...
                  29-09-2018, 08:08 AM
                • Reply to Tenant's boyfriend
                  boletus
                  If he's not causing a problem, then as the man said;...
                  21-10-2018, 09:37 AM
                • Files over 6 Years Old...
                  VictoriaH
                  I've been doing a tidy up of my old files.
                  I have invoice folders for my estate agency from 2010/2011/2012.
                  Should i be disposing of everything older than 6 years?
                  Should i keep soft copies?
                  Regarding ASTs and rent statements, should i be getting rid of everything over 6 years,...
                  21-10-2018, 06:21 AM
                • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
                  JK0
                  Keep everything IIWY.

HMRC can go back as long as they like if they suspect criminality. How will you prove you aren't a criminal if you don't have the papers?
                  21-10-2018, 09:36 AM
                  theartfullodger
                  Don't think you "have to give permission".

Consider tenant who doesn't pay rent one month. You don't have to give permission for this (or not..), they remain liable to eviction under s8g10. Or one who fails to pay rent 3 months in a row then starts again, but still 3 months...
                  21-10-2018, 09:31 AM
                  jpkeates
                  In reality, I can't see a s8 notice on that basis alone resulting in repossession, on the basis that a) it's disproportionate to be made homeless for a breach of that nature and b) that courts don't want to make people homeless if they can avoid it.

The term should probably be "which...
                  21-10-2018, 09:30 AM
                • DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
                  StuartH
                  Have I missed something, or is it impossible for joint landlords to be recorded in the DPS Custodial Scheme in the way that joint tenants are separately identified? Does anyone think that a problem could arise over deposit protection issues where the record shows the identity of only one of two joint...
                  19-10-2018, 15:34 PM
                • Reply to DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
                  jpkeates
                  It used to, but not any more (last time I used it was March - custodial scheme - so basing it on that date)....
                  21-10-2018, 09:21 AM
                  tatemono
                  The TA says

So, if he stays there, we have to give written permission or she's technically in breach of the TA. If we give written permission, I assume that opens us up to all sorts of issues if he starts being a nuisance. Am I wrong about that?

So, we could just tell...
                  21-10-2018, 09:08 AM
                Working...
                X