Access for gas safety inspections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access for gas safety inspections

Out of interest, what’s the usual procedure for arranging access for gas safety inspections?

I got a call today from some organisation that’s apparently been contracted by my landlord to do a gas safety inspection in my flat (they did not seem to know my name and had to ask if I have a gas supply).

They wanted to know if I’d be available to let them in to do the inspection tomorrow. When I told them I couldn’t because I’d be at work, they requested Wednesday next week between 12pm and 3pm. This is possible but not really convenient (I have meetings at work I don’t want to miss that day, so I can’t take the whole day off, and the way it’s in the middle of the day means I can’t just come in to work late or leave early).

Is it standard practice for tenants to be expected to make themselves available at a time convenient to the contractor for things like this? Ideally, I’d prefer for them to just get a key from my landlord and come in and do the inspection while I’m at work but that doesn’t seem to be how they operate.

GSC inspectors tend only to work 9-5 Mon-Fri.
    Before arranging an apt, check with LL who he has arranged to conduct GSC, by what date, or ask LL to attend mutually convenient appt.
    First appt I suggest you attend to request Inspector's ID & Gas-Safe Registration.

Comment

You don't need to make yourself available. You only need to give permissions to enter.

On the other hand, you should ensure that the organisation is genuine, and is working for your landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        You don't need to make yourself available. You only need to give permissions to enter.

On the other hand, you should ensure that the organisation is genuine, and is working for your landlord.
        This.

I (landlord) tell the tenant when the inspection is due and get them to give me a date that's good for them. If no date can be agreed/where the tenant is home, then I meet the inspector at the property and let them in. They only take about half an hour or so depending on what appliances etc are there.

But yes, this should be coming from the landlord and not some random company ringing you. You need to speak to the LL or LA.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1 View Post
          I got a call today...

They wanted to know if I’d be available to let them in to do the inspection tomorrow. When I told them I couldn’t because I’d be at work...
          So someone called you, let's say for argument's sake it was your local friendly burglar. And you told them exactly when you won't be at home.

Do you see the problem here?
          ​​​​​

Comment

NEVER agree to something with someone you do not know unless you have been advised by someone you know and trust that they will contact you for a specific purpose.

Personally, I always communicate with tenant before making arrangements and give them the option of being present or me chaperoning tradesman. If T wants to be present, I will often attend and combine it with an inspection.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I called my landlord today and they confirmed that they’ve contracted a company to do a gas safety inspection and told me the name. I looked up the outfit on the Companies House website. They’re so late filing their accounts that the company is about to be compulsorily struck off and dissolved. Not quite sure what to make of that.

I’ll make sure that the person who turns up has appropriate identification and credentials.

Comment

You have done the correct thing in making sure, I have always ensured that I am present in a property when this is carried out and have always contacted tenants myself rather than leaving it up to the company, so I must admit it did sound a little unusual.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Suicide of tenant
                  NickCanterbury
                  I rented out my house while working in Europe. One of my tenants commited suicide about three weeks ago and after a several days or more the other two tenants were worried and got the police to break down the door of his room and find his body. A tragedy that has obviously upset me enormously but without...
                  17-06-2019, 16:34 PM
                • Reply to Suicide of tenant
                  KTC
                  It has to be actively disclosed by the seller, not just answered truthfully when asked. Not entirely clear for how long though.
                  17-06-2019, 18:28 PM
                • Company lets
                  paulamis
                  My company are bringing in some Indian nationals for a few months training.

Secretary went and asked local agents and was fobbed off with nonsense like, "has to be an AST and the law says min 1 yr", I guess the agents don't need the complication.
                  17-06-2019, 11:41 AM
                • Reply to Company lets
                  JK0
                  Oh, well good luck with that. ...
                  17-06-2019, 18:26 PM
                • dispute with council over council tax
                  halfax
                  i have been billed for council tax for a property that was rent out. the tenant also ran a pub. he left last november , i told the council he had gone and informed them when the new tenant moved in . they billed me for when the property was empty. and i paid that bill . now 8 moths later the tenat...
                  15-06-2019, 16:31 PM
                • Reply to dispute with council over council tax
                  KTC
                  Then note that in your appeal. They accepted the earlier declaration, so as far as you were concerned documentary evidence of the tenant's occupation was no longer needed to be kept and hence it was destroyed accordingly. They can't go back on their acceptance unless there's evidence you lied. The tenant's...
                  17-06-2019, 18:20 PM
                • Tenants splitting up. Guidance please!
                  ericawhiteroom
                  Hi all,

I have a couple who are splitting up. The situation is amicable and the partner who is leaving is prepared to sign something.

Could anyone guide me in the direction of what he needs to sign. Does anyone have the proper forms needed to sort out deposit shared and what...
                  04-06-2019, 09:15 AM
                • Reply to Tenants splitting up. Guidance please!
                  ericawhiteroom
                  Hiya,

Thanks so much for the info jpkeates - really appreciate it.

The deed of surrender looks great. The tenancy agreement is about 53 pages long, is that normal? That is going to take about half of my ink cartridge out lol

Do you know if there is anything ...
                  17-06-2019, 18:18 PM
                • Reply to Company lets
                  leaseholder64
                  Companies that are not in the property business generally lease their properties. Similarly with cars....
                  17-06-2019, 18:16 PM
                • Reply to Suicide of tenant
                  nukecad
                  Sorry if this sounds callous.

But I have cleared up after more than one suicide.
                  (I'm not a landlord, but life is life - or not).

After a 'few days' there should not have been much decomposition. A few weeks would be different.

Voiding of bowels is to be...
                  17-06-2019, 18:10 PM
                Working...
                X