Access for gas safety inspections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access for gas safety inspections

Out of interest, what’s the usual procedure for arranging access for gas safety inspections?

I got a call today from some organisation that’s apparently been contracted by my landlord to do a gas safety inspection in my flat (they did not seem to know my name and had to ask if I have a gas supply).

They wanted to know if I’d be available to let them in to do the inspection tomorrow. When I told them I couldn’t because I’d be at work, they requested Wednesday next week between 12pm and 3pm. This is possible but not really convenient (I have meetings at work I don’t want to miss that day, so I can’t take the whole day off, and the way it’s in the middle of the day means I can’t just come in to work late or leave early).

Is it standard practice for tenants to be expected to make themselves available at a time convenient to the contractor for things like this? Ideally, I’d prefer for them to just get a key from my landlord and come in and do the inspection while I’m at work but that doesn’t seem to be how they operate.

GSC inspectors tend only to work 9-5 Mon-Fri.
    Before arranging an apt, check with LL who he has arranged to conduct GSC, by what date, or ask LL to attend mutually convenient appt.
    First appt I suggest you attend to request Inspector's ID & Gas-Safe Registration.

Comment

You don't need to make yourself available. You only need to give permissions to enter.

On the other hand, you should ensure that the organisation is genuine, and is working for your landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        You don't need to make yourself available. You only need to give permissions to enter.

On the other hand, you should ensure that the organisation is genuine, and is working for your landlord.
        This.

I (landlord) tell the tenant when the inspection is due and get them to give me a date that's good for them. If no date can be agreed/where the tenant is home, then I meet the inspector at the property and let them in. They only take about half an hour or so depending on what appliances etc are there.

But yes, this should be coming from the landlord and not some random company ringing you. You need to speak to the LL or LA.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1 View Post
          I got a call today...

They wanted to know if I’d be available to let them in to do the inspection tomorrow. When I told them I couldn’t because I’d be at work...
          So someone called you, let's say for argument's sake it was your local friendly burglar. And you told them exactly when you won't be at home.

Do you see the problem here?
          ​​​​​

Comment

NEVER agree to something with someone you do not know unless you have been advised by someone you know and trust that they will contact you for a specific purpose.

Personally, I always communicate with tenant before making arrangements and give them the option of being present or me chaperoning tradesman. If T wants to be present, I will often attend and combine it with an inspection.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I called my landlord today and they confirmed that they’ve contracted a company to do a gas safety inspection and told me the name. I looked up the outfit on the Companies House website. They’re so late filing their accounts that the company is about to be compulsorily struck off and dissolved. Not quite sure what to make of that.

I’ll make sure that the person who turns up has appropriate identification and credentials.

Comment

You have done the correct thing in making sure, I have always ensured that I am present in a property when this is carried out and have always contacted tenants myself rather than leaving it up to the company, so I must admit it did sound a little unusual.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S21 rent arrears
                  Colourful30
                  Hi
                  I issued my tenant with a section 21 notice which finishes on 23rd November 2018 - this was issued due to rent arrears.

I received a text yesterday from my tenant to say he has received keys for another property and would have moved all of his belongings out on Thursday...
                  23-10-2018, 10:08 AM
                • Reply to S21 rent arrears
                  KTC
                  Unless and until the High Court+ hear a case on this, one can only speculate on the court's interpretation.

Purely for argument's sake though, leaving aside actual technical legal arguments, if the tenant is leaving because you served them a section 21, how does that not fall squarely within...
                  23-10-2018, 23:28 PM
                • Deposit protection - Personal properties and limited company property
                  catdog1121
                  Hi,

So I have 4 properties in my own name and have recently setup a company and bought a company through the limited company.

I have an account with the DPS for my 4 personal properties, my question is can I just protect the deposit from the tenant in this account or does...
                  23-10-2018, 22:47 PM
                • AST and periodic tenancy
                  skay2
                  Hi all,

This is my first post and my first BTL experience.

I bought a new built flat from a developer in England last year. The Lease Agreement stipulated that I need the freeholder’s consent to let it. The request was granted without any mention of extra fees. I found a...
                  22-10-2018, 21:51 PM
                • Reply to AST and periodic tenancy
                  MdeB
                  They might, but in the case of council tax liability I believe it has been determined that it is the length contracted not the length that ultimately occurs that is relevant, so the same could be argued here....
                  23-10-2018, 22:39 PM
                • Reply to S21 rent arrears
                  MdeB
                  S21C would not appear to apply here as the tenancy was not brought to an end as a result of a S21 notice, as the proposed end date is before the expiry of the S21 notice.
                  23-10-2018, 22:22 PM
                • Tenancy start date different from the one in contract.
                  downloaderd517
                  Hi everyone,
                  I need some advice with the following issue.

I have signed the tenancy contract on the 13th of this month, so in theory the contract is legally binding from the 13th. For personal reasons I have not sent the deposit on that day but 2 days later(15th). I got my keys and...
                  23-10-2018, 11:52 AM
                • Reply to Tenancy start date different from the one in contract.
                  theartfullodger
                  That you chose to use a slow transfer mechanism is your decision, your problem.

There are so many fast transfer ways now, most of my payments go in/out within an hour or so.

Next time, use a quicker transfer.
                  23-10-2018, 16:26 PM
                • Break clause issuing Section 8
                  gummage
                  I have a break clause in a tenancy, that after 1 year, either party can activate a 3 month get out. so if tenant wants out after a year he can give notice and leave in 3 months or likewise me ask him to leave in 3 months. NOw I fear that this clown I have will try and stay longer and will do anything...
                  23-10-2018, 15:20 PM
                • Reply to Break clause issuing Section 8
                  KTC
                  TL;DR: You need to serve a break notice to terminate the fixed term early, as well as a valid section 8 or section 21 notice expirying on or after the expiry of the break notice which you can then rely on to apply for possession at the court if necessary.

----

Break notice:...
                  23-10-2018, 16:07 PM
                Working...
                X