tenants asking for sizeable gardening work to be done

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    tenants asking for sizeable gardening work to be done

    The house in question has a sloping (towards the house) lawn with steps down to a 13'x13' pebbled area. Its a lovely little area for BBQs etc and is a sun trap.

    I revamped that area at considerable time and expense only last summer before they moved in. As you can imagine, it looked lovely when I was doing viewings.

    Anyway, I received a text today asking if I could cement that area as its uncomfortable for them to walk on and they don't have time to weed it as they're either working at weekends, and when they're not working, they're visiting friends! I don't want to use this space to tell you what I think of their text, but I would like to ask if its ok for me to tell them a polite 'no'.

    TBH, because of the angle of the lawn, I would prefer to keep that area as a soak away, not to mention the time and expense of making it look nice for new tenants.

    What would you do or say?

    #2
    I would say, no, the gravel is necessary for drainage and is a feature of the property.
    If this is an issue for you, I would be happy to discuss ending your tenancy at a mutually convenient date, or increasing the rent to include a gardening service.

    If you are so minded, of course.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

    Comment


      #3
      Thank them for their kind suggestion but no: And you are sure they will be happy in their next home.
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

      Comment


        #4
        They took on the tenancy knowing full well what the grounds were like, so they have no "rights" to change anything at all. Actually, they can change what they want as long as they re-instate it to how it was when the tenancy started. Tell them they can do that, at their expense of course.

        Comment


          #5
          They signed up the agreement as seen and, hopefully, acknowledge the responsibility of maintenance. In that acknowledgement it is reasonable to assume that they recognised that they should do everything possible to adhere to that agreement. If they can't be bothered (and that's what it sounds like) or they don't have time, then they should employ a gardener to do it for them.
          It's really not your problem, and you can recharge them for their negligence when they leave..... which may be soon.
          I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

          Comment


            #6
            How many months are they into Tenancy fixed Term are they?

            Comment


              #7
              Thanks for your replies and advice.

              Originally posted by mariner View Post
              How many months are they into Tenancy fixed Term are they?
              They're on a Periodic Tenancy...

              Comment


                #8
                Tell them they can spray it with a systemic weedkiller (not the grass).

                Comment


                  #9
                  Then preemptive s21

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                    Tell them they can spray it with a systemic weedkiller (not the grass).
                    Not a good idea, because that puts organic matter into the stones, allowing more weeds to root.

                    Weeds in pebbles should be removed and discarded.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by security2 View Post
                      Actually, they can change what they want as long as they re-instate it to how it was when the tenancy started. Tell them they can do that, at their expense of course.
                      I would not tell them that, because it could be taken as agreement, and it could cost more than the deposit to put it right if they don't.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Maybe offer to arrange and hire a gardener if they pay an increased rent. Find out how much a gardener would be, for 1-2 hr a week (depending on size of property and suggest that price + 10-20% (to cover your time arranging gardener/soak up future increases) as the rent increase.

                        See what they say. Or they can arrange their own gardener.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by MdeB View Post

                          Not a good idea, because that puts organic matter into the stones, allowing more weeds to root.

                          Weeds in pebbles should be removed and discarded.
                          Well, I never knew that! Thanks for the tip.

                          Originally posted by sam_cat View Post
                          Maybe offer to arrange and hire a gardener if they pay an increased rent. Find out how much a gardener would be, for 1-2 hr a week (depending on size of property and suggest that price + 10-20% (to cover your time arranging gardener/soak up future increases) as the rent increase.

                          See what they say. Or they can arrange their own gardener.
                          I've done just that. I suggested a gardener and to increase the rent accordingly. I know gardening isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if the two of them spent 20/30 mins each over a weekend, it'll be kept under control and look nice for their next BBQ. The suggestion of a gardener for such a small area is laughable really. At least the house is kept nice and clean.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by MdeB View Post

                            Not a good idea, because that puts organic matter into the stones, allowing more weeds to root.

                            Weeds in pebbles should be removed and discarded.
                            If it's good enough for the RHS it's good enough for me. Considerable amounts of organic matter get carried on shoes, the idea that a weedkiller spray makes much difference seems a bit of a joke.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                              the idea that a weedkiller spray makes much difference seems a bit of a joke.
                              It is not the spray, it is the dead weeds (in my experience).

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X