Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agent Charging for Inventory Check Out without Displaying Fees

Morning all,

I am a tenant and I have just vacated a property. I have received detail from the letting agent that they are charging £238.80 for Inventory Check Out. I was a little surprised at this and checked through my tenancy agreement and noted the below clause:

4.3 Outgoings
    The Tenant will promptly pay:
    (c)
    the reasonable costs charges and expenses (including VAT) in connection with the checking of the Inventory at the start and end of the Tenancy Period (however it ends);

Whilst looking online, I noticed that on 27th May 2015, a new legislation was passed that required all letting agents to ensure that their fees are transparent to both existing and potential customers. A comprehensive list of all fees, charges or penalties which are payable by the landlord or tenant before, during or after the tenancy must be prominently displayed in the letting agency. The list should be displayed where the letting agent comes face-to-face with an existing or new customer and the customer shouldn’t have to ask to see the list; it should already be clearly visible. If the agency has a website, then the list of fees should also be published here.

I have looked at the letting agents website and it does not clearly state anywhere what the cost of inventory check out is (nor any other fees for that matter) and it certainly doesn't detail the fees in my tenancy agreement, or any other paperwork I have ever received from them, until now, post leaving the property.

Am I correct in my thinking that I am being unfairly charged for this?

Thanks in advance.

B

There are two issues here.

The agent has to comply with the law, but that doesn't change the agreement you made in the tenancy contract to pay the reasonable charges. The two things are not linked (in my view).

However, the tenancy agreement is one between you and the landlord, not the agent (presuming they aren't one and the same). So the agent can't do anything if you don't abide by it - the landlord would have to take action for non-compliance.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Back I was renting in London, the agency tried to charge me 120GBP for a checkout process as a tenant for a studio flat, arguing that it was written within the tenancy agreement that I have to pay, and 120GBP was the fee their "partner" charges as standard. This from one of the bigger chain if letting agents in London.

I have managed to argue that

A. the fee was not shown anywhere up front.
      B. Although the agreement say I have to pay for the checkout process, it does not say I have to use their checkout agent. I managed to find a couple of quotes online for checkout services at about 30-40GBP, and told them I would use them instead since I was paying.

In the end the estate agent gave up and didn't charge what turned out to be a 10minute job by one of their employees. (They tried charging 120 quid for that!)

I would recommend you do the same, say you will pay for the checkout as per tenancy agreement, but elect to use your own services. Thus you are not violating the agreement.

There are loads online that is quite cheap.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• tenancy agreement and co-owner
        progress
        If only one co-owner one can sign the tenancy agreement does this mean that this implies that the other agree to it. And what happens if only one co-owner signs a tenancy agreement and the other does not agree does it make the tenancy agreement invalid and what happens to the tenants who has already...
        21-10-2018, 09:43 AM
      • Tenant's boyfriend
        tatemono
        So, for the last year and a half we've had a young woman as a model tenant. She's improved the house no end and keeps it immaculate and only rarely raises very minimal and perfectly acceptable maintenance requests. Very pleasant lady all round.

The other day, our agent told us that she'd...
        29-09-2018, 08:08 AM
      • Reply to Tenant's boyfriend
        boletus
        If he's not causing a problem, then as the man said;...
        21-10-2018, 09:37 AM
      • Files over 6 Years Old...
        VictoriaH
        I've been doing a tidy up of my old files.
        I have invoice folders for my estate agency from 2010/2011/2012.
        Should i be disposing of everything older than 6 years?
        Should i keep soft copies?
        Regarding ASTs and rent statements, should i be getting rid of everything over 6 years,...
        21-10-2018, 06:21 AM
      • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
        JK0
        Keep everything IIWY.

HMRC can go back as long as they like if they suspect criminality. How will you prove you aren't a criminal if you don't have the papers?
        21-10-2018, 09:36 AM
        theartfullodger
        Don't think you "have to give permission".

Consider tenant who doesn't pay rent one month. You don't have to give permission for this (or not..), they remain liable to eviction under s8g10. Or one who fails to pay rent 3 months in a row then starts again, but still 3 months...
        21-10-2018, 09:31 AM
        jpkeates
        In reality, I can't see a s8 notice on that basis alone resulting in repossession, on the basis that a) it's disproportionate to be made homeless for a breach of that nature and b) that courts don't want to make people homeless if they can avoid it.

The term should probably be "which...
        21-10-2018, 09:30 AM
      • DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
        StuartH
        Have I missed something, or is it impossible for joint landlords to be recorded in the DPS Custodial Scheme in the way that joint tenants are separately identified? Does anyone think that a problem could arise over deposit protection issues where the record shows the identity of only one of two joint...
        19-10-2018, 15:34 PM
      • Reply to DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
        jpkeates
        It used to, but not any more (last time I used it was March - custodial scheme - so basing it on that date)....
        21-10-2018, 09:21 AM
        tatemono
        The TA says

So, if he stays there, we have to give written permission or she's technically in breach of the TA. If we give written permission, I assume that opens us up to all sorts of issues if he starts being a nuisance. Am I wrong about that?

So, we could just tell...
        21-10-2018, 09:08 AM
      Working...
      X