Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy cancellation

Trying to understand the position i have been put in,

What are the consequences of a Landlord cancelling a Tenancy before the tenancy starts but after everything has been signed?

They are responsible for the tenant's reasonable costs in sourcing similar alternative accommodation and any short term accommodation required as a result.

Ideally, you should source accommodation for them.

Basically, you have to put them into the same position, financially, that they would have been in if you hadn't breached the contract.

Comment

What was the reason they gave? You should (and I would) proceed to sue them if they don't compensate you for your loss.

There are however some reasons that might be legitimate ones - for example if you told even the slightest lie on the tenancy application form. How long before the tenancy was to start?

Comment

AndrewDod,

It is acutally me looking at options to cancel. our council has changed the rules on student sharers to bring 5 or more into full HMO regs with licence etc, I believe the house in question will fail because there is only one toilet and no room to add another unless 1 of the bedrooms is used. This would make it 4 beds and no need for a licence.

The tenancy was agreed last December
        Seems i am stuck betwen breaking the contract law or breaking the housing law!

Comment

sorry,
          It is due to start in september but need an HMO licence before October

Comment

This is a national change, not a local decision.

Comment

Inform the prospective students the rooms are no longer avail, first thing on Mon, return any fees, deposits received. 3 months means they have time to find new accom with no liability to you.
              Or see if only 4 want to move in?

Comment

And explain to them that... as usual.... it is down to laws designed to "protect" tenants that they are inconvenienced.

Comment

mariner,

If it's a group of 5 friends, them you may have to turn them all down. If they are in smaller groups or individuals, then accept 4 and turn one down (the one least likely to make a fuss!!!)

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I will be contacting the council on Monday and then make a decision!

Comment

The only effect of the law is the cost of the licence fee. You were still bound by all the other requirements, and you still will be with only four tenants.

Comment

The requirement ammenity standard for 5 sharers requires 2 toilets, whereas for 4 it is only one. The house complies with everything else or will do.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X