Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy cancellation

Trying to understand the position i have been put in,

What are the consequences of a Landlord cancelling a Tenancy before the tenancy starts but after everything has been signed?

They are responsible for the tenant's reasonable costs in sourcing similar alternative accommodation and any short term accommodation required as a result.

Ideally, you should source accommodation for them.

Basically, you have to put them into the same position, financially, that they would have been in if you hadn't breached the contract.

Comment

What was the reason they gave? You should (and I would) proceed to sue them if they don't compensate you for your loss.

There are however some reasons that might be legitimate ones - for example if you told even the slightest lie on the tenancy application form. How long before the tenancy was to start?

Comment

AndrewDod,

It is acutally me looking at options to cancel. our council has changed the rules on student sharers to bring 5 or more into full HMO regs with licence etc, I believe the house in question will fail because there is only one toilet and no room to add another unless 1 of the bedrooms is used. This would make it 4 beds and no need for a licence.

The tenancy was agreed last December
        Seems i am stuck betwen breaking the contract law or breaking the housing law!

Comment

sorry,
          It is due to start in september but need an HMO licence before October

Comment

This is a national change, not a local decision.

Comment

Inform the prospective students the rooms are no longer avail, first thing on Mon, return any fees, deposits received. 3 months means they have time to find new accom with no liability to you.
              Or see if only 4 want to move in?

Comment

And explain to them that... as usual.... it is down to laws designed to "protect" tenants that they are inconvenienced.

Comment

mariner,

If it's a group of 5 friends, them you may have to turn them all down. If they are in smaller groups or individuals, then accept 4 and turn one down (the one least likely to make a fuss!!!)

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I will be contacting the council on Monday and then make a decision!

Comment

The only effect of the law is the cost of the licence fee. You were still bound by all the other requirements, and you still will be with only four tenants.

Comment

The requirement ammenity standard for 5 sharers requires 2 toilets, whereas for 4 it is only one. The house complies with everything else or will do.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• tenancy agreement and co-owner
                          progress
                          If only one co-owner one can sign the tenancy agreement does this mean that this implies that the other agree to it. And what happens if only one co-owner signs a tenancy agreement and the other does not agree does it make the tenancy agreement invalid and what happens to the tenants who has already...
                          21-10-2018, 09:43 AM
                        • Reply to tenancy agreement and co-owner
                          jpkeates
                          The landlord of a lease is whoever is named as the landlord on the tenancy agreement if there is one, if there isn't it depends on to whom rent is paid. The landlord doesn't have to own the property they are letting, so who owns the property doesn't affect who is the landlord.

If one co-owner...
                          21-10-2018, 10:23 AM
                        • Tenant's boyfriend
                          tatemono
                          So, for the last year and a half we've had a young woman as a model tenant. She's improved the house no end and keeps it immaculate and only rarely raises very minimal and perfectly acceptable maintenance requests. Very pleasant lady all round.

The other day, our agent told us that she'd...
                          29-09-2018, 08:08 AM
                        • Reply to Tenant's boyfriend
                          boletus
                          If he's not causing a problem, then as the man said;...
                          21-10-2018, 09:37 AM
                        • Files over 6 Years Old...
                          VictoriaH
                          I've been doing a tidy up of my old files.
                          I have invoice folders for my estate agency from 2010/2011/2012.
                          Should i be disposing of everything older than 6 years?
                          Should i keep soft copies?
                          Regarding ASTs and rent statements, should i be getting rid of everything over 6 years,...
                          21-10-2018, 06:21 AM
                        • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
                          JK0
                          Keep everything IIWY.

HMRC can go back as long as they like if they suspect criminality. How will you prove you aren't a criminal if you don't have the papers?
                          21-10-2018, 09:36 AM
                          theartfullodger
                          Don't think you "have to give permission".

Consider tenant who doesn't pay rent one month. You don't have to give permission for this (or not..), they remain liable to eviction under s8g10. Or one who fails to pay rent 3 months in a row then starts again, but still 3 months...
                          21-10-2018, 09:31 AM
                          jpkeates
                          In reality, I can't see a s8 notice on that basis alone resulting in repossession, on the basis that a) it's disproportionate to be made homeless for a breach of that nature and b) that courts don't want to make people homeless if they can avoid it.

The term should probably be "which...
                          21-10-2018, 09:30 AM
                        • DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
                          StuartH
                          Have I missed something, or is it impossible for joint landlords to be recorded in the DPS Custodial Scheme in the way that joint tenants are separately identified? Does anyone think that a problem could arise over deposit protection issues where the record shows the identity of only one of two joint...
                          19-10-2018, 15:34 PM
                        • Reply to DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
                          jpkeates
                          It used to, but not any more (last time I used it was March - custodial scheme - so basing it on that date)....
                          21-10-2018, 09:21 AM
                        Working...
                        X