Changes to a tenancy agreement.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to a tenancy agreement.

I have new tenants that would now like to keep a dog. They have just signed an agreement for a two year contract with a break clause after one year. There had been some miscommunication with the agency who I instructed to find a tenant and draw up a contract, and these tenant dearly want a family pet, and I had stated clearly no pets, having just had the carpets replaced . I am however keen to accommodate under certain conditions. We are both agreed on changing the contract, but the agency says it's impossible to amend a critical part i.E. I want the break clause taken out. Does the whole contract need to be torn up and start again to do this? Thanks.

You can sign a new agreement with the tenant at any point.

You can't impose a new agreement on the tenant, so if they don't agree to the break clause being removed, you can't remove it.
    On the other hand, they can't (presumably) have a dog without a new agreement.

Provided any new terms aren't illegal, it's hard to know why the agent say you can't remove it.
    If you are trying to make it so that only you can break and not the tenant, they might have a point.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Asrantia 59 View Post
      ...the agency says it's impossible to amend a critical part i.E. I want the break clause taken out.
      The agency is wrong. If you do not want to have a new agreement you can make any changes you like other than those which amount to a surrender and regrant (which you will want to avoid). The changes need to recorded in a deed.

Comment

Don't have tenants with dogs IIWY.

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ull-of-dog-poo

Comment

What does AST/agreement say about pets?

Comment

With greatest respect to you OP -- you are making a lot of mistakes......

Why on earth would you sign a 2 year tenancy agreement?
            What possible advantage to you is there to remove the break clause -- particularly with tenan ts who plan on breaching the agreement as soon as they start.

You want the pets because .................................????? Is this a farmhouse?

Are you increasing the rent in line with the pets .... by say 25%?

Having said that, yes the agent is wrong -- you can sign any new agreement you like, and modify it if you like with consent of both parties.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X