GDPR Ready ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tatemono View Post
    and whoever finds your tenants shares no information about them whatsoever with you?
    I get and need NO information other than they are ok to rent.

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post

I get and need NO information other than they are ok to rent.
      So your LA doesn't send you the reference reports for your prospective tenants in order for you to make a decision on whether to accept them? Reference reports containing personal info about them?

If you blindly accept whatever decisions your LA makes on your behalf, then good luck!

Comment

Yes I do blindly trust my LA. What's the point in using one you don't trust? In nearly 20 years I've only had 1 bad tenant and that was when I tried a different LA! I know I've been extremely lucky so far but I'm fond of the saying "If it aint broken don't try to fix it" Do you genuinely use a LA and then disregard their choices? Why?

Comment

I don't blindly accept my Agents choice. Some Agents are known to recommend Ts they just want to keep quiet/satisfy.

Comment

I guess my philosophy is based on the fantastic run of good luck I've had, and I do consider myself lucky not skilful so I'm not bragging here. My LA is the same guy I bought my first house from 20 years ago, he knows my criteria and wouldn't send me anyone unacceptable. Therefore I never feel the need to see references, work history etc so returning to the original point, I don't have or keep any data other than that required by the new Right To Rent rules and those are paper copies.

Comment

yep you are lucky... of course you should only appoint an agent you trust, but trust is a sliding scale and in the complex world of letting, errors even by the experienced are all too easy to make. In that scenario, two heads are better than one.

I see a number of threads on this forum with LLs going to some lengths to justify not registering with the ICO. I'm not the kind of LL that leaves any loose ends so I'm registered because there's some measure of doubt as to whether it's required or not. That's good enough for me. It gives me peace of mind and, if any T is concerned about how I handle their data, I at least have some track record of showing myself to be compliant.

Plus, as an overseas LL, I have no choice but to deal almost exclusively with soft copies of everything anyway.

Comment

If you search online for "GDPR printed documents", you will realise that the information you hold is still within the reach of the GDPR regulations...

So whilst the regulations will have less impact on you than most other people, they still do have some impact.

In the real world, are you likely to ever be in a position where you'll get a fine? Unlikely. But you carry that risk, regardless.

Comment

Is it also true that GDPR only pertains to the data of EU Citizens?

Comment

as I understand it, yes it does now, but when Brexit happens, this will be transferred to UK law effectively making it relevant to both British and EU citizens. I might be wrong about that though. can't remember where I saw this info...

Comment

The regulations apply to all personal data.
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S21 rent arrears
                        Colourful30
                        Hi
                        I issued my tenant with a section 21 notice which finishes on 23rd November 2018 - this was issued due to rent arrears.

I received a text yesterday from my tenant to say he has received keys for another property and would have moved all of his belongings out on Thursday...
                        23-10-2018, 10:08 AM
                      • Reply to S21 rent arrears
                        KTC
                        Unless and until the High Court+ hear a case on this, one can only speculate on the court's interpretation.

Purely for argument's sake though, leaving aside actual technical legal arguments, if the tenant is leaving because you served them a section 21, how does that not fall squarely within...
                        23-10-2018, 23:28 PM
                      • Deposit protection - Personal properties and limited company property
                        catdog1121
                        Hi,

So I have 4 properties in my own name and have recently setup a company and bought a company through the limited company.

I have an account with the DPS for my 4 personal properties, my question is can I just protect the deposit from the tenant in this account or does...
                        23-10-2018, 22:47 PM
                      • AST and periodic tenancy
                        skay2
                        Hi all,

This is my first post and my first BTL experience.

I bought a new built flat from a developer in England last year. The Lease Agreement stipulated that I need the freeholderā€™s consent to let it. The request was granted without any mention of extra fees. I found a...
                        22-10-2018, 21:51 PM
                      • Reply to AST and periodic tenancy
                        MdeB
                        They might, but in the case of council tax liability I believe it has been determined that it is the length contracted not the length that ultimately occurs that is relevant, so the same could be argued here....
                        23-10-2018, 22:39 PM
                      • Reply to S21 rent arrears
                        MdeB
                        S21C would not appear to apply here as the tenancy was not brought to an end as a result of a S21 notice, as the proposed end date is before the expiry of the S21 notice.
                        23-10-2018, 22:22 PM
                      • Tenancy start date different from the one in contract.
                        downloaderd517
                        Hi everyone,
                        I need some advice with the following issue.

I have signed the tenancy contract on the 13th of this month, so in theory the contract is legally binding from the 13th. For personal reasons I have not sent the deposit on that day but 2 days later(15th). I got my keys and...
                        23-10-2018, 11:52 AM
                      • Reply to Tenancy start date different from the one in contract.
                        theartfullodger
                        That you chose to use a slow transfer mechanism is your decision, your problem.

There are so many fast transfer ways now, most of my payments go in/out within an hour or so.

Next time, use a quicker transfer.
                        23-10-2018, 16:26 PM
                      • Break clause issuing Section 8
                        gummage
                        I have a break clause in a tenancy, that after 1 year, either party can activate a 3 month get out. so if tenant wants out after a year he can give notice and leave in 3 months or likewise me ask him to leave in 3 months. NOw I fear that this clown I have will try and stay longer and will do anything...
                        23-10-2018, 15:20 PM
                      • Reply to Break clause issuing Section 8
                        KTC
                        TL;DR: You need to serve a break notice to terminate the fixed term early, as well as a valid section 8 or section 21 notice expirying on or after the expiry of the break notice which you can then rely on to apply for possession at the court if necessary.

----

Break notice:...
                        23-10-2018, 16:07 PM
                      Working...
                      X