GDPR Ready ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GDPR Ready ?

Does anyone have a GDPR privacy template specific to landlords, there is one under the "Information" section of LandlordZone, which is for Agents. I believe ideally that something similar should be sent to tenants by the 28th of May. Any tips would be welcome from other members as to how you have prepared yourself for the GDPR changes.

are you not aware of this thread:

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...s-on-landlords

Comment

Yes I did see it, I will go back through the various posts to see if anyone has made available a landlord specific template as I may have missed it.

Comment

I've just done the self assessment test on the ICO website and it says I'm exempt because I don't store information digitally! Is it really as simple as that? Am I off the hook?

Comment

You mean the tenants number is not in your phone? You never send/receive emails or texts from them or about them? You don't receive emailed copies of reference reports? You don't advertise/receive inquiries using an online portal? You don't supply info to the deposit scheme online? You don't take scans/photos of their Right to Rent documents? If no then how do operate as a landlord?

Comment

The deciding feature here is the word store. I can answer no to all of your above questions except the phone one, and if deleting tenants numbers from my phone makes me exempt then I'll delete them this evening. Does that mean I need to delete all my friends numbers as well?

Comment

The GDPR only applies to organisations, so, as long as you are storing your friends numbers in a private capacity, they're exempt.

The GDPR applies to all storage, digital or otherwise - I think that the ICO recomendation is probably wrong.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                The GDPR applies to all storage, digital or otherwise - I think that the ICO recomendation is probably wrong.
                I thought it was too good to be true!

Comment

But the ICO guidance is what you should probably rely on.
                  These regulations are never going to have any real world impact on landlords (unless someone in parliament has an attack of the vapours and we have national landlord registration).
                  It's all academic.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                    It is my understanding that if data are not stored electronically, then business does not have to register with ICO, but you still ha to comply with DPA/GDPR for protection of those data.

With paper, it is difficult for a malicious data breach to occur without a physical break-in (but remember to shred unwanted paper, don't just put it in the rubbish/recycling); ICO is mostly concerned with electronic storage which is fairly easily hackable (if business dos not take precautions) and little risk to the criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
                      It is my understanding that if data are not stored electronically, then business does not have to register with ICO, but you still ha to comply with DPA/GDPR for protection of those data.
                      That would probably explain it - makes sense now.

Copies of letters and scans of PI and tenancy agreements are enough to put me in the digital storage "camp".

Comment

As you say, makes sense now. I don't need to register but I do need to comply. I only use paper copies and tbh the only data I keep is the new immigration data and phone numbers stored on my not very Smart Phone. As I use tenant find only services I never see or ask for personal data.

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post
                          As I use tenant find only services I never see or ask for personal data.
                          You don't have their address, phone number, rent payment/arrears details, deposit protection information, right to rent information (copies of their documents)?

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post
                            As I use tenant find only services I never see or ask for personal data.
                            and whoever finds your tenants shares no information about them whatsoever with you?

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

You don't have their address, phone number, rent payment/arrears details, deposit protection information, right to rent information (copies of their documents)?
                              As I said I have phone numbers and new immigration required information, nothing else. Don't take deposits, all rent payments information is non tenant specific i.e listed by property not tenant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• tenancy agreement and co-owner
                                progress
                                If only one co-owner one can sign the tenancy agreement does this mean that this implies that the other agree to it. And what happens if only one co-owner signs a tenancy agreement and the other does not agree does it make the tenancy agreement invalid and what happens to the tenants who has already...
                                21-10-2018, 09:43 AM
                              • Tenant's boyfriend
                                tatemono
                                So, for the last year and a half we've had a young woman as a model tenant. She's improved the house no end and keeps it immaculate and only rarely raises very minimal and perfectly acceptable maintenance requests. Very pleasant lady all round.

The other day, our agent told us that she'd...
                                29-09-2018, 08:08 AM
                              • Reply to Tenant's boyfriend
                                boletus
                                If he's not causing a problem, then as the man said;...
                                21-10-2018, 09:37 AM
                              • Files over 6 Years Old...
                                VictoriaH
                                I've been doing a tidy up of my old files.
                                I have invoice folders for my estate agency from 2010/2011/2012.
                                Should i be disposing of everything older than 6 years?
                                Should i keep soft copies?
                                Regarding ASTs and rent statements, should i be getting rid of everything over 6 years,...
                                21-10-2018, 06:21 AM
                              • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
                                JK0
                                Keep everything IIWY.

HMRC can go back as long as they like if they suspect criminality. How will you prove you aren't a criminal if you don't have the papers?
                                21-10-2018, 09:36 AM
                                theartfullodger
                                Don't think you "have to give permission".

Consider tenant who doesn't pay rent one month. You don't have to give permission for this (or not..), they remain liable to eviction under s8g10. Or one who fails to pay rent 3 months in a row then starts again, but still 3 months...
                                21-10-2018, 09:31 AM
                                jpkeates
                                In reality, I can't see a s8 notice on that basis alone resulting in repossession, on the basis that a) it's disproportionate to be made homeless for a breach of that nature and b) that courts don't want to make people homeless if they can avoid it.

The term should probably be "which...
                                21-10-2018, 09:30 AM
                              • DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
                                StuartH
                                Have I missed something, or is it impossible for joint landlords to be recorded in the DPS Custodial Scheme in the way that joint tenants are separately identified? Does anyone think that a problem could arise over deposit protection issues where the record shows the identity of only one of two joint...
                                19-10-2018, 15:34 PM
                              • Reply to DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
                                jpkeates
                                It used to, but not any more (last time I used it was March - custodial scheme - so basing it on that date)....
                                21-10-2018, 09:21 AM
                                tatemono
                                The TA says

So, if he stays there, we have to give written permission or she's technically in breach of the TA. If we give written permission, I assume that opens us up to all sorts of issues if he starts being a nuisance. Am I wrong about that?

So, we could just tell...
                                21-10-2018, 09:08 AM
                              Working...
                              X