How my landlord paid 3 times the deposit :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How my landlord paid 3 times the deposit :)

This forum was very helpful to me when I struggled with my landlord, so I thought to post this as it could help someone in a similar situation.

Story in short:

I left the place and expected my deposit back. The landlord was lying to me for about a month telling me "The deposit is with the council". Then After that long I called the council and they told me they would not hold that deposit. And when I told him I could take legal action, he did not want to return my money and said he needed it to do work in the place.

That's when I called the 3 protection schemes, and turns out he did not even protect it!

At the time I was so busy starting a new job, so I got a no-win-no-fee solicitor to handle it. They sent him a letter telling him to:
    Either pay 3 times the deposit or, we go to court and he ends up paying 7 times! (3 times did not protect it, then another 3 times when the tenancy agreement ended and I stayed afterward which means he should've also protected it at that time, plus the deposit itself) and also legal fees that could occur.

The landlord gave up and paid 3 times.

Just out of interest, how much of that 3 times money did you end up? (I wouldn't imagine the no win no fee lawyers did it for free)

Comment

Sure it wasn't free. They took 25%.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X