Landlord switching from agency to self managed - rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone,

So update - I called TDS because man, this was confusing (let along stressing) me. I learned the LL called them yesterday, claimed he hadn't been informed of ADR and they confirmed this. In this case the ADR notification went from LA to LL and that did not happen as it should. So, okay - we got that part cleared up.

LL has until Monday (4 days from this post) to submit evidence or refuse ADR. We can then go to court or settle, however we can also up until 29-Sept chose to mutually reopen ADR. So that is now known.

If LL lapses in response from Monday then ADR continues as it was.

TDS now holds the deposit so it will distribute at point of ADR resolution (if it goes there), settlement agreement, or court.

Update you guys on what happens next - hope this might be helping people out.

Comment

Update - this morning we learned LL has refused ADR. We now have to attempt settlement, re-open ADR by mutual agreement, or head to court.

Comment

In this case, I would send a letter before action demanding the entire deposit be returned (unless you want to offer something to the landlord you are content with), give a deadline of a fortnight after which you will take legal action without further notice.

I would go and sign up with Money Claim Online and, after the fortnight, simply make a small claim online.

No point in cycling round the same issues over and over again.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks. I'm thinking along those lines. I'm willing to let this go out a bit more so that should the LL want to return to ADR before additional money gets involved they should have the chance.

Having think about it today before I go official in response to them. They do know where we live and seem to want to skirt all general and proper rules!

Comment

Always best to leave it for a bit.
            But there's no downside to the landlord just to sit on your money and the threat of legal action doesn't seem disproportionate to me at this point.

But it's easy to be tough online!
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Just send the letter per jpkeates. Include you're willing to reopen ADR if you want. You don't actually have to issue the court claim immediately, but sending the letter may well get the landlord to change their mind.
              I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Most definitely agree.

I was looking at timelines - we have until end of September on the ADR, then through Feb on settlement or court before TDS may step in and hand us back the money - and wash their hands of this situation as well.

So far the LA has walked by handing the deposit to TDS, so we're completed with that group.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant misleading everyone
                  by DPT57
                  I think the NTQ may be your best option. The tenant could defeat it by returning to live there but that would at least enable you to get the rent payments reinstated. If they dont return, the tenancy will end. You can serve the notice at the property, but make sure its also sent to wherever the tenant...
                  16-06-2021, 22:08 PM
                • Tenant misleading everyone
                  by bertha
                  I have a tenant who is been difficult I think due to health/mental problems,for the last year I have not been able to carry out epc,gas inspections.It seems tenant has been staying elsewhere ,I informed housing I could not enter the property and was advised by landlord liason officer to get a locksmith,enter...
                  14-06-2021, 13:20 PM
                • Reply to Inventory help
                  by DPT57
                  I based mine on an old RLA template. I think NRLA still have one. You could try that....
                  16-06-2021, 22:00 PM
                • Inventory help
                  by Helvie
                  Hi, Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I could download a good quality inventory check list and guidance form, thanks.
                  13-06-2021, 14:56 PM
                • Reply to New Tenancy
                  by DPT57
                  Your questions are too wide ranging for a forum. The answers would form a long article. Asking questions on here is not a substitute for reading. I suggest you join the NRLA and read all their guides and checklists....
                  16-06-2021, 21:54 PM
                • New Tenancy
                  by SpringGreen
                  After the property is ready for advertistng what does a landlord need to mindful of.
                  1. what are the pros and cons in terms of tenancy agreement CONTRACTUAL AND STATUORY ?
                  2. applicants - how do landlord usually vet them ?
                  3. inventories (what comments or descriptions to use ? )...
                  12-06-2021, 09:11 AM
                • Reply to County Court Bailiffs 1 June
                  by Perce
                  Slackjawedyokel - my tenant does not seem to be in the property. I have no clue where he is or whether he will return.. The neighbours said that police were looking for him but when I checked with the police they could not find anything on the system. The police were very nice and helpful and asked...
                  16-06-2021, 21:20 PM
                • County Court Bailiffs 1 June
                  by Perce
                  Hello

I have a warrant for repossession, the ban is over tomorrow. How long does it take to hear from the County Court Bailiffs ? 1 week ? 1 month? What is the process ?...
                  31-05-2021, 11:30 AM
                • Reply to Pre action protocol
                  by flat27
                  Thank you for all your knowledge!! I’ve been reading about part 36 - they haven’t said it’s part 36 and they haven’t explained the basis of their figure. Also they have only given 7 days not 21.
                  I assume therefore it cannot be taken as part 36?
                  I’ve read that part 36 cannot be...
                  16-06-2021, 21:07 PM
                • Pre action protocol
                  by flat27
                  Hi - my tenant has moved out and has caused extensive water damage due to not reporting a leak and just leaving it to cause damage. We have tried to claim damages but he does not want to sort this amicably- does anyone have a template pre action protocol letter to start the court process? Any advice...
                  15-06-2021, 17:06 PM
                Working...
                X