LL access to prospectiveTs applications withheld.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LL access to prospectiveTs applications withheld.

Agent citing DPA.
    So much for Agent being LLs proxy?

Change Agent.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
      Agent citing DPA.
      So much for Agent being LLs proxy?
      Ha, wow... That is not how DPA works, and not how the landlord/agent relationship works.
      As above, fire the agent. Now. Call them asap, put it in writing to them asap and collect your keys from them asap. If they cant get this basic thing right that is very worrying!

Comment

Absoultely agree. It is your choice who to let into your property. The forms filled in by the prospective tenants should make it clear that their data will be passed onto the LL. Given that (I believe) the new rules do not come into play until May this year the agent seems to have something to hide methinks.
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Agent is incompetent.

The ICO advises that the agent should get the tenant's consent to pass on their data to the landlord.
          No one's ever tested that advice as it happens.

But the advice is now so old that any agent not doing what is recommended is simply not competent to let a property.

On the other hand, if they explain that they can't pass on the data because you aren't registered as a data controller and don't have a contract with them as a data processor with the required terms, they're geniuses and should be retained at all costs!
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Agent act on behalf of landlord as agents, some of the faults such as fail to protect deposit counts as fault of the landlord.Thus, It would not make sense for them to refuse access the details of your tenants.

the likely reason they may not wish for you to gain access would be:

a. They are afraid of you contacting prospective tenants directly and therefore cut them out of their fees.

b. They are inventing tenant interest by creating fake prospective tenant so you do not put the house up with other agents.

i have encountered both before.

Comment

IMO it depends on whether they are refusing information on someone who they are proposing to let to, or refusing information on someone who is still being checked or has just expressed an interest in your property.

In the first case I would say they are wrong.
              In the second case I would say they are right: if you are not dealing directly with the prospective tenant, then you have no legitimate interest in their data until they express a desire to take on the tenancy (not just to view the property).

Ask to see their data protection statement for tenants.

Comment

The agent is collecting the data because the landlord has caused them to collect it.
                That should mean that the landlord is the data controller and the agent is the processor for this data.

If the agent is collecting the data for their own purposes, they're possibly in breach of their duty as an agent.

This may change at the end of the month!
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                  The agent is collecting the data because the landlord has caused them to collect it.
                  That should mean that the landlord is the data controller and the agent is the processor for this data.

If the agent is collecting the data for their own purposes, they're possibly in breach of their duty as an agent.
                  But the agent is agent for many landlords.
                  Attracting potential tenants is done for many landlords.
                  It is only when they express a desire to go ahead with a particular property that a relationship with a particular landlord arises. Prior to that the relationship is with the agent.

Comment

Ye all debating hypothetical beyond what mariner said. The thread title is "prospectiveTs applications". I read that to mean that the prospective tenant have indeed expressed a desire to go ahead with a particular property and have in fact supplied information for things like right to rent and/or credit & reference check.

I agree with the first reply, fire the agent.
                    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Annex
                      by Dreamingofsea
                      I think you have said above you only want a lodger. In this case with the layout described it is highly unlikely to be ruled one in a court. I think it would therefore be very unwise to issue a lodger s agreement to a tenant because say down the line you want to evict the tenant and they go to seek...
                      18-09-2021, 17:14 PM
                    • Annex
                      by Lammas13
                      I have a self contained annex, it has kitchen, shower, toilet and own entrance from the alleyway.
                      when we bought our house it was already there. It was build with proper planning permission.
                      How do I go about renting it out. Washing machine would have to be shares in the main house. ...
                      15-09-2021, 17:44 PM
                    • Reply to Annex
                      by Dreamingofsea
                      As said above - This is a grey area. Probably It can not be a lodger s agreement just sharing a washing machine .It could be as Artful said common tenancy a non-assured short hold (little advantage since you have to evict through a court possession order and there is no accelerated process and you...
                      18-09-2021, 17:02 PM
                    • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
                      by royw
                      I use cheap carpet over good underlay everywhere.
                      18-09-2021, 16:57 PM
                    • Typical lifetime of carpets
                      by davett
                      I've done some searching and I see people asserting that the typical lifetime of a carpet is between 5 and 7 years. My question is, has this been established in court or is it just general knowledge?...
                      17-09-2021, 13:11 PM
                    • Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
                      by Moderator2
                      Hooper,

Just post a new thread, I’ll lock this one for now, then remove it when the new thread gets going.

Just to be clear (to everyone), here are some reasons why threads with names are edited or deleted.
                      1. It can (and has) lead to legal action against forum members and/or
                      18-09-2021, 15:01 PM
                    • Tenant references are a joke.
                      by Hooper
                      I made two separate requests (one direct and one through a referencing company) for a landlord / agent reference for the same tenant at the same address.

I got two replies two days apart.

The first said they had always paid within 7 days of the payment date and that there had...
                      17-09-2021, 12:03 PM
                      by jpkeates
                      The underlay is the key.
                      At home I use cheap carpet (because of pets) over good underlay.
                      18-09-2021, 14:45 PM
                      by jpucng62
                      Let’s be honest, most tenants don’t look after carpets as well as a homeowner. There is no point putting a quality in a rental when you can’t be sure how it will be looked after - a burn or a coffee / wine stain will ruin a decent carpet as well as a cheap one. I go for a bleach cleanable, mid...
                      18-09-2021, 14:39 PM
                    • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                      by jpkeates
                      There was nothing about a default in the post I was responding to.
                      The post said that there had been a hearing, so if there was a default, it would have to be some kind of procedural issue.
                      If you don't turn up to defend a claim, there has to have been some kind of error in notification...
                      18-09-2021, 13:40 PM
                    Working...
                    X